F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Adaptive drive vs M Sport suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, newbie here.

I'm about to order a F10 535D Msport. In the UK there is the option of adaptive drive, this then deletes the M Sport suspension. Would the adaptive drive in its most sporty setting be more sporty/keenly handling than the M Sport set up?

Thanks for your help
Old 11-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hey indus and welcome!

It's a F10 BMW 535dA M Sport.

The M suspension only lowers the car one centimeter.
I'd go for the Adaptive Drive, it also has the Sport and Sport+ options.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Compared to my 2008 550i M-Sport with the M-Sport Suspension to my 2011 550i with Adaptive Drive in Sport+ mode, I prefer the M-Sport Suspension. It feels much better, more consistent. I am not saying that the IAS is bad, I just like the athletic feel of the M-Sport Suspension. The best way for the OP to tell is to drive the 2 versions back to back.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

Tried with and without adaptive drive - the MSport suspension was great on well surfaced roads, but on poor roads - which most around here are - it was diabolically bad, the car never settling, with a continual jitter.

On my old E60 MSport I changed out the run-flats for standard tyres, so I was comparing with that....but for me it was an easy decision, the adaptive drive was way better; on normal it equates to the E60, and you can up it to Sport of the roads/occasion allows.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by indus
Hello, newbie here.

I'm about to order a F10 535D Msport. In the UK there is the option of adaptive drive, this then deletes the M Sport suspension. Would the adaptive drive in its most sporty setting be more sporty/keenly handling than the M Sport set up?

Thanks for your help

Hi Newbie:

I am in Florida and have a F10 on order, also.

Originally from London and just curious as to where in London you are?

Regards - Roger
Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Members

Thanks for the replies.

1) Ricracing, suspension can't just be judged on the ride height.

2)pharding, I'm confused. You are talking about IAS and suspension in the same breath but they are not related. IAS is active steering.

3)Cerbera, are you saying that when you set adaptive drive to sport it is as sporty as the M Sport suspension or more?

4)Rodger, I'm actually just on the border of London in Essex actually. Place called Loughton. Where did you used to live?

Thanks again
Old 11-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

2)pharding, I'm confused. You are talking about IAS and suspension in the same breath but they are not related. IAS is active steering.
I accidentally substituted IAS when I meant to say Adaptive Drive. I apologize.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Members

Thanks for the replies.

4)Rodger, I'm actually just on the border of London in Essex actually. Place called Loughton. Where did you used to live?
Northwood, in Middlesex.

My wife is from Hackney and we know Loughton well. Have some friends in that area. We're over 2 or 3 times each year.

Good luck with your new car and welcome to the forum.

Roger
Old 11-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Members

Thanks PHarding, makes sense now.

I know the best thing would be to drive a car with adaptive drive however my dealer doesn't have one. He also says he has rung around to see if he can get hold of one and says it seems to be proving impossible.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:53 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport

Hello, newbie here.

Thanks for your help
NO

Quick Reply: Adaptive drive vs M Sport suspension