F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

550 Test Drive / Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by swajames
The only full month of sales for the F10 was July when BMW posted only a 9% gain for 5 Series sales compared to the same month last year - a number that included remainder E60 sales and also the 5GT as BMW doesn't break sales out by specific model. Simply put, a 9% gain isn't overly spectacular given the significant upturn in the economy compared to the market conditions we saw last summer and of the positive impact on sales due to latent demand for the new model. Take all of that into account, and it's still too early to make any meaningful analysis of how the F10 is faring. August numbers should be out in the next week or so and we'll be in a better position to see how things are trending. Anecdotally, there don't appear to be too many F10s on the road here in Silicon Valley right now, which is a little strange given that this is the kind of wealthy and upscale early-adopter market where a car like the F10 ought to do pretty well. Based on my trips to Southern California of late, the other market where the F10 ought to sell strongly, the position seems to be much the same.

Like I said, it remains to be seen. Given the state of the economy, I'd say that the sales numbers so far look promising. But I think it's stupid to assume that just because some guys here on this board don't like the F10 due to it's increased mass, it automatically means that the majority of current 5 series owners out there will balk and migrate towards a smaller car. That is NOT what's happening out in the real world.

The fact that more and more automakers are putting out bigger and bigger models every year means something....this is what the public wants.....they want cars that are roomier, more luxurious and more powerful. The market is dictating what we see out int the roads.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Like I said, it remains to be seen. Given the state of the economy, I'd say that the sales numbers so far look promising. But I think it's stupid to assume that just because some guys here on this board don't like the F10 due to it's increased mass, it automatically means that the majority of current 5 series owners out there will balk and migrate towards a smaller car. That is NOT what's happening out in the real world.

The fact that more and more automakers are putting out bigger and bigger models every year means something....this is what the public wants.....they want cars that are roomier, more luxurious and more powerful. The market is dictating what we see out int the roads.
Have you looked at the Mercedes Benz E-Class sales? For July 2010 they were more than double that of the 5 Series. My point? If BMW is now trying to build that roomy, powerful luxury car you describe they are taking on some risk as they can't build one as well as Mercedes - and the marketplace is already voting with its wallet. BMW historically offered the sportier option and was a distinct alternative for the more discerning driver. Your perception of "what the public wants" is, frankly, already better served by Mercedes and Audi.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

you 2 need to get a room already....
Old 08-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Blah blahblah blahblah meh.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Blah blahblah blahblah meh.

Sorry about that folks but damn iphone and clumsy old fingers don't mix. In response to Petes550i, I am not suggesting that I will be buying a smaller car in the future but instead wil be buying a car about the same size as my e60 which in fact could possibly be a future 3 series. But only if 3 series does increase to the size of an e60.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Have you looked at the Mercedes Benz E-Class sales? For July 2010 they were more than double that of the 5 Series. My point? If BMW is now trying to build that roomy, powerful luxury car you describe they are taking on some risk as they can't build one as well as Mercedes - and the marketplace is already voting with its wallet. BMW historically offered the sportier option and was a distinct alternative for the more discerning driver. Your perception of "what the public wants" is, frankly, already better served by Mercedes and Audi.
Well said.

I have already written a thread about this fact comparing what BMW is doing in 2010 to what Alfa Romeo did in 2005.

Alfa Romeo was a company that provided unreliable, average quality, harsh riding, great driving, and abosolutely involving Alfa 156s. I bought the 156 in 2000 and couldn't be happier. It squeaked and rattled, but it was always able to put a smile on my face.

In 2005, Alfa released the 159. It was more reliable, more luxurious, safer in crash accidents, 20% heavier, and less involving than the 156.

The result was that in their pursuit of BMW and Audi customers, Alfa Romeo lost their faithful customers who were interested in Alfas' agility and beautiful handling. Alfa Romeo were not able to attract the BMW and Audi customers due to having lost their main edge. Their 159 sales dropped to half of those of the 156.

I am afraid the same might happen to BMW. I am already looking into buying an E-Class or an A6 due to them having the historical edge in ride quality and luxury.

BMW know how to build the great compromise between sportiness and luxury. They should have stuck with that edge they already had. They shouldn't have moved towards luxury in that pronounced manner with the F10.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

You should know that It's not fair to compare the sales of the E-Class to the F10 at this point in time because the current E-Class came into the market much earlier than the F10. Also, the E-Class comes in many more versions than the F10, so it's no wonder the sales are much higher..... Really, an unfair comparison anyway you look at it.

Personally, I test drove an E550 prior to getting the 550i and found the Benz to be slower, less agile and interior design to be less compelling. To me, my 550i is the perfect roomy, powerful luxury sports sedan.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

You should know that It's not fair to compare the sales of the E-Class to the F10 at this point in time because the current E-Class came into the market much earlier than the F10. Also, the E-Class comes in many more versions than the F10, so it's no wonder the sales are much higher..... Really, an unfair comparison anyway you look at it.

Personally, I test drove an E550 prior to getting the 550i and found the Benz to be slower, less agile and interior design to be less compelling. To me, my 550i is the perfect roomy, powerful luxury sports sedan.
Not at all - these cars are the two segment leaders and the most commonly cross-shopped. Not a lot of point in shooting the messenger just because the facts - the E-Class significantly outselling the F10 - don't fit in with your perception of what you want them to be or wish they were... My post here, of course, and the one you responded to, was discussing July sales numbers for the F10. Since then, we've had the August numbers - and the position was much the same. Biggest doesn't always equate to best, of course, but while you preferred the F10 for reasons that make sense to you, more buyers are currently favoring the E for reasons which make sense to them. In any event, the sales trends are hardly a surprise as traditionally the E has historically been the market leader in the segment, as evidenced by last year's global sales when the E sold 212,000 units and the 5 Series sold 176,000.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

same shit, different thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Contributors

You should see if a Dinan Package is available yet for the newest 550 ... that may be as stimulating as an M car and still offer roomier accommodations than a 3'er. The advantage of going that route is the relationship with BMW, service in one place w/o argument, and the warranty coverage.

Quick Reply: 550 Test Drive / Impressions