F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

530d Loses grip on un-even surface

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Roy,

I would ask the dealer to look into this and try to drive to the same location with the shop foreman to repeat the same behavior. If the dealer cannot resolve this issue or give you a proper explanation on why this is happening, then get BMW involved. This is extremely dangerous and yes the salesman doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.......

Originally Posted by uktivo
Hi All,
Just to recap on my current set up.

F10 530d SE with:
Dynamic drive
Sport gearbox
20 inch wheels

I've owned the car for about 2 months now and have covered approx 3k miles in that time. In principle the car is a very fine vehicle, both internally/mechanical and externally. However, I have on a number of occasions experienced a complete loss of grip and the car has physically slid sideways when travelling around a round a bout with an un-even surface. This happened to me yesterday.

I was with my wife and two small children. I was just joining a round-a-bout outside Wimslow (cheshire). (just in case anyone knows the area.. this is the round-a-bout that leads from the M56 and has the Marriott hotel on it. see this link for google earth.. you can see for yourself the road surface I'm talking about)
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&ie...41.47,,0,17.05

I was travelling on this round-a-bout at 20MPH and the car for a split second felt like it was on a sheet of glass. Traction to all four tyres was lost and the car drifted completely sideways. This was a massive shock to me as there was a 4x4 at the rear/side of me and we managed to just avoid touching.
This type of loss has happened to me about 4/5 times now and all of them have been on round-a-bouts on uneven surfaces. Some happened at 35/40mph but like I said this happened at 20mph.. Very scary.

Spoke to the salesman at the dealership this morning and he is advising it's a characteristic of the car and especially the stiffer suspension.. (not entirely sure I have the stiffer suspension on this car.. BMW have made it so complex now to decide what extras you need to make the car ride correctly).

Anyway.. just wanted to share my experience with you and at the same time ask if anyone has had similar issues with the F10 or indeed any other vehicle.

Roy

ps I have posted this same question / remark on another forum with a hope that someone from either forum could shed any light onto my situation.. so please don't feel like i'm spamming or something like that..
Old 08-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi uktivo

"However, I have on a number of occasions experienced a complete loss of grip and the car has physically slid sideways when travelling around a round a bout with an un-even surface.
I was travelling on this round-a-bout at 20MPH and the car for a split second felt like it was on a sheet of glass. Traction to all four tyres was lost and the car drifted completely sideways."

I had a similar incident today but on a straight road. There was some white stripes across the road (pretty high, mentioned to slow speed) and the car felt like pouncing (flying) over them with no grip at all.
The speed was some 35 - 40 km/h.

I have the standard suspension and the same tires as you.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d M Sport

Originally Posted by uktivo
Hi All,
Just to recap on my current set up.

F10 530d SE with:
Dynamic drive
Sport gearbox
20 inch wheels

I've owned the car for about 2 months now and have covered approx 3k miles in that time. In principle the car is a very fine vehicle, both internally/mechanical and externally. However, I have on a number of occasions experienced a complete loss of grip and the car has physically slid sideways when travelling around a round a bout with an un-even surface. This happened to me yesterday.

I was with my wife and two small children. I was just joining a round-a-bout outside Wimslow (cheshire). (just in case anyone knows the area.. this is the round-a-bout that leads from the M56 and has the Marriott hotel on it. see this link for google earth.. you can see for yourself the road surface I'm talking about)
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&ie...41.47,,0,17.05

I was travelling on this round-a-bout at 20MPH and the car for a split second felt like it was on a sheet of glass. Traction to all four tyres was lost and the car drifted completely sideways. This was a massive shock to me as there was a 4x4 at the rear/side of me and we managed to just avoid touching.
This type of loss has happened to me about 4/5 times now and all of them have been on round-a-bouts on uneven surfaces. Some happened at 35/40mph but like I said this happened at 20mph.. Very scary.

Spoke to the salesman at the dealership this morning and he is advising it's a characteristic of the car and especially the stiffer suspension.. (not entirely sure I have the stiffer suspension on this car.. BMW have made it so complex now to decide what extras you need to make the car ride correctly).

Anyway.. just wanted to share my experience with you and at the same time ask if anyone has had similar issues with the F10 or indeed any other vehicle.

Roy

ps I have posted this same question / remark on another forum with a hope that someone from either forum could shed any light onto my situation.. so please don't feel like i'm spamming or something like that..

Hi Roy

Sounds pretty serious. Why not take it into Bluebell and get them to sit in while you demonstrate the problem on the roundabout?

Once you lose confidence in your cars handling it's very important to get the dealer to experience your issues and resolve asap.

FYI I had a E60 530d and it always came unstuck on roundabouts where the surface was joined and the tyres crossed it at an angle. It was very disconcerting and felt like the whole back end was sliding away from me.This happened with 18'runflats. My current E60 535d with 19' non run flats copes much better on the same roundabout, with no sliding feeling at all.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Red
Old 08-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Members

Thanks Red,

I will be doing just that.. I've been away for a few days so will get onto them on Tuesday

Roy