F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

5 Series - About to Buy - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good evening,

I am about to purchase a 2012 528i (just the premium one package), and I had a few questions before I bought it:

1) Through the EPP/Fleet Program of my company, I am getting it for $50,500 total (including the 7 year (3 years more than standard) 100,000 mile warranty ($3,490), tax, tag, title and all dealer fees). Is that a good price?

2) The 2012's are about to (or already have) end production, and in July the 2013's will begin production for delivery in late August, early September. Should I wait to get the newer model year? My understanding is that there is no actual difference in the car, besides a $600 higher base MSRP as well as a $400 higher premium one package (because it will now be bundled with the the satellite radio - which I do not need).

3) My 528i does not have navigation/technology package/bmw apps. I use my iPhone/Siri for all of my navigation needs. Am I making a big mistake by not getting it?

4) Lastly, I had a random question: I noticed that some of the 535i's on the lot had the "M Sport Package" for $5k. That does not mean that they are "M5's" right? (there was no M5 badges on the trunk).
Old 05-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DitrasetMan
Good evening,

I am about to purchase a 2012 528i (just the premium one package), and I had a few questions before I bought it:
1) Through the EPP/Fleet Program of my company, I am getting it for $50,500 total (including the 7 year (3 years more than standard) 100,000 mile warranty ($3,490), tax, tag, title and all dealer fees). Is that a good price?
2) The 2012's are about to (or already have) end production, and in July the 2013's will begin production for delivery in late August, early September. Should I wait to get the newer model year? My understanding is that there is no actual difference in the car, besides a $600 higher base MSRP as well as a $400 higher premium one package (because it will now be bundled with the the satellite radio - which I do not need).
3) My 528i does not have navigation/technology package/bmw apps. I use my iPhone/Siri for all of my navigation needs. Am I making a big mistake by not getting it?
4) Lastly, I had a random question: I noticed that some of the 535i's on the lot had the "M Sport Package" for $5k. That does not mean that they are "M5's" right? (there was no M5 badges on the trunk).
Welcome!

1) You're making a huge mistake buying an extended warranty on the hew car. You can decide to do that (with an OFFICIAL BMW WARRANTY) at any time the original factory is in effect and the prices are VERY negotiable. And, without knowing the tax, title, and other "fees" imposed on you in Hawaii the price doesn't seem to be that favorable - especially for the marginal level of options on this car.

I think you should get someone to use a sharper pencil since the MSRP of the car is "only" about $50K.

4) A 535 with M Sport is NOT an M5 ... it's a trim, suspension, aero stuff, and some other tweaks like and electronic uptick of the speed limiter.

Is this your first BMW adventure? Good luck with your purchase and WELCOME!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Welcome!

1) You're making a huge mistake buying an extended warranty on the hew car. You can decide to do that (with an OFFICIAL BMW WARRANTY) at any time the original factory is in effect and the prices are VERY negotiable. And, without knowing the tax, title, and other "fees" imposed on you in Hawaii the price doesn't seem to be that favorable - especially for the marginal level of options on this car.

I think you should get someone to use a sharper pencil since the MSRP of the car is "only" about $50K.

4) A 535 with M Sport is NOT an M5 ... it's a trim, suspension, aero stuff, and some other tweaks like and electronic uptick of the speed limiter.

Is this your first BMW adventure? Good luck with your purchase and WELCOME!

Hello! Yes this is my first BMW. Thank you for the reply! I will be buying the car in Florida. Supposedly, because I am buying the car through the Executive Preference Program (Fleet) purchasing, I am getting a "deal." The MSRP on the car is $50,020.00 (including the Jet Black paint, Black Dakota Leather, Premium One Package, Dark Wood Trim, BMW Teleservices, TeleService Control). The Tax is 6%. I am getting the car for $3,000 under invoice (that is the EPP price). The final price is $50,500, which others are telling me is an "insane" final price (as it includes the $3,490 extended warranty, 6% sales tax, (and $1,057 total "fees" including dealer, registration, tag, etc). Do you not agree that this is a good price?

With respect to the warranty - how comparable will the price be if I buy it later? I.e., how much money will I be saving if I wait. Either way (if I buy it now, or wait), I really like the idea of having a 7 year warranty on this car.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

is the warranty through bmw? bumper to bumper?
what about the bmw covered maintenance, is that extended also?

and out of curiousity, how much will it cost you to deliver the car to hawaii?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
is the warranty through bmw? bumper to bumper?
what about the bmw covered maintenance, is that extended also?

and out of curiousity, how much will it cost you to deliver the car to hawaii?

Yes, the warranty is through BMW. It is there regular "gold" warranty. I haven't looked into the freighting price yet to transport it to Hawaii.

How about my points above luigi524td?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Senior Members

Yes, the warranty is through BMW. It is there regular "gold" warranty. I haven't looked into the freighting price yet to transport it to Hawaii. How about my points above luigi524td?
1. the price don't seem bad.
2. you may as well get the 2012, unless you want to wait a while and pay more...
3. on the older 5 series, if you didnt get nav, you got the smaller screen with plastic filler on the sides, which doesnt look that great. i'm not sure about the f10. the wider screen is definetly nice.
4. personally i would get the sport package. you get the more aggresive looks(bumper, wheels, etc) plus the car handles more sporty.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 AM
New Members

Hello! Yes this is my first BMW. Thank you for the reply! I will be buying the car in Florida. Supposedly, because I am buying the car through the Executive Preference Program (Fleet) purchasing, I am getting a "deal." The MSRP on the car is $50,020.00 (including the Jet Black paint, Black Dakota Leather, Premium One Package, Dark Wood Trim, BMW Teleservices, TeleService Control). The Tax is 6%. I am getting the car for $3,000 under invoice (that is the EPP price). The final price is $50,500, which others are telling me is an "insane" final price (as it includes the $3,490 extended warranty, 6% sales tax, (and $1,057 total "fees" including dealer, registration, tag, etc). Do you not agree that this is a good price?

With respect to the warranty - how comparable will the price be if I buy it later? I.e., how much money will I be saving if I wait. Either way (if I buy it now, or wait), I really like the idea of having a 7 year warranty on this car.
Really envious of you guys in the US where the 528i is $50K. In Singapore, I was thinking of getting one but it sets me back $196K! :-(. Had to settle for a used F10 523i instead.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by clamsgp
Really envious of you guys in the US where the 528i is $50K. In Singapore, I was thinking of getting one but it sets me back $196K! :-(. Had to settle for a used F10 523i instead.
yeah, that does really suck for some of you guys abroad. thank your government for that though.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi DitrasetMan,

Congrats for a sensible and good choice of your new car.

Since I don't know much of the US BMW deals I just stick to the facts I know about.
Over here we have only a two year warranty and usually the problems accure after some 4-5 years.

A MY '13 is always better than a MY '12.

The iPhone or any other Nav will do the job.

If you like listening music get Professional Hi-Fi.

The M Sport Package will make you car a looker but it's only a looker, for sure not a real "M".
19" wheels will make a F10 look nice even without the M package.

Just my 5 Eurocents.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing
Hi DitrasetMan,

Congrats for a sensible and good choice of your new car.

Since I don't know much of the US BMW deals I just stick to the facts I know about.
Over here we have only a two year warranty and usually the problems accure after some 4-5 years.

A MY '13 is always better than a MY '12.

The iPhone or any other Nav will do the job.

If you like listening music get Professional Hi-Fi.

The M Sport Package will make you car a looker but it's only a looker, for sure not a real "M".
19" wheels will make a F10 look nice even without the M package.

Just my 5 Eurocents.
But is there any reason to wait for the 2013? Isn't this deal that I am getting on the price quite good? If I get a 2013, I will have to pay $1,000 more ($600 increased base price and $400 increase premium package).

Quick Reply: 5 Series - About to Buy - Need Advice