E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Yet another Tyre Puncture

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: december 2011 525d SE
Unhappy

Isnt it about Time Manufacturers of Run Flat Tyres or BMW Themselves gave People a Trade in against New Run Flats.
Yet again Today I managed to pick up a panel pin in one of my Tyres.
This is Now the Third New Tyre since February when I replaced all Four of My Run Flats.
At Nearly ?200 a Tyre I reckon Runflat Manufacturers are on to a good scam, These Tyres seem to pick up punctures more frequently than Normal tyres.
The last three tyres had done less than 3000 miles.
If they can re-enforce the side walls why cant they Re-enforce the Tread in contact with the road at least strong enough to withstand a feeble but costly Panel Pin.
The cost of these Tyres is Really Racking up to the Point where my Wife is saying we should get Rid of the BMW and Buy something that doesn't use Runflats.
GOD FORBID BUT MERCS AND AUDIS HAVE BEEN PUT FORWARD.
I know its possible to put Non Runflats on my E61 's 17" Rims but because BMW say Not To My Wife Will Not Allow me to do the Change..
I do apologise if this topic has been bought up before but I am so P****d off with my Car telling me I have a puncture every other week that its beginning to ruin my enjoyment of the car itself.
The main reason I drive BMW's is Ive Generally Never had any problems with them but since they introduced Runflats they have been a constant Thorn in my ownership experience..
If nearly every other manufacturer in the world can do without them why cant BMW..
It was perhaps a good idea at the time of conseption of the E60/61 model but you would have thought BMW would have listened to all the negative feedback regarding Run flats..
Well There You go ive let off a little steam.In the morning I will go round Check all my Tyre Pressures and Initialize the System..But Be warned my Beloved 5 series my missus is on your case and its not looking good, looks like your days may be numbered....
Old 09-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Contributors

Sounds like you're driving around construction zones. Yes, the treads of summer rft's are softer and might seem to attract things that could puncture them. However, if it's not been driven at "0" psi you might find a shop that would do proper repair rather than require that you replace the tire - ESPECIALLY if the tire is so new and the puncture isn't near the sidewall.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Sounds like you need a better tyre shop and a better BMW dealer. As the previous poster has said run flats are not automatically written off after a puncture - it depends on where the puncture is and how soon it's dealt with. And the dealer saying conventional tyres can't be fitted is rubbish - there's no reason why it can't be done. Common sense does dictate a spare or a can of tye inflator in the boot.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Senior Members

You can plug RF just as easy as you would regular tires. Done that many times, no ill effects whatsoever.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Members

Arrow

Originally Posted by phelix' post='1011507' date='Sep 19 2009, 04:02 AM
Sounds like you need a better tyre shop and a better BMW dealer. As the previous poster has said run flats are not automatically written off after a puncture - it depends on where the puncture is and how soon it's dealt with. And the dealer saying conventional tyres can't be fitted is rubbish - there's no reason why it can't be done. Common sense does dictate a spare or a can of tye inflator in the boot.
No Not one of my local tyre fitters in somerset will entertain repairing a puncture in a run flat . As for common sense I do carry a space saver and also an audi tyre compressor in the Boot.
Dont live in or around a Building site in fact you couldnt get more rural than where I live.
KwikFit , Charlie Browns and all my local Tyre outlets refuse to fit Non Runflats to my Rims saying its a safety issue..
Old 09-19-2009, 03:20 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by fifthinarow' post='1011651' date='Sep 19 2009, 04:00 AM
KwikFit , Charlie Browns and all my local Tyre outlets refuse to fit Non Runflats to my Rims saying its a safety issue..
That's "old school" - very early run flat tires were fitted to special rims that prevented them from separating from the wheel at "0" pressure ... the newest are not. They probably like selling them because it means higher profits for them - same goes for repair vs sell new tires!
Old 09-19-2009, 03:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

Originally Posted by fifthinarow' post='1011416' date='Sep 19 2009, 01:14 AM
Isnt it about Time Manufacturers of Run Flat Tyres or BMW Themselves gave People a Trade in against New Run Flats.
Yet again Today I managed to pick up a panel pin in one of my Tyres.
This is Now the Third New Tyre since February when I replaced all Four of My Run Flats.
At Nearly ?200 a Tyre I reckon Runflat Manufacturers are on to a good scam, These Tyres seem to pick up punctures more frequently than Normal tyres.
The last three tyres had done less than 3000 miles.
If they can re-enforce the side walls why cant they Re-enforce the Tread in contact with the road at least strong enough to withstand a feeble but costly Panel Pin.
The cost of these Tyres is Really Racking up to the Point where my Wife is saying we should get Rid of the BMW and Buy something that doesn't use Runflats.
GOD FORBID BUT MERCS AND AUDIS HAVE BEEN PUT FORWARD.
I know its possible to put Non Runflats on my E61 's 17" Rims but because BMW say Not To My Wife Will Not Allow me to do the Change..
I do apologise if this topic has been bought up before but I am so P****d off with my Car telling me I have a puncture every other week that its beginning to ruin my enjoyment of the car itself.
The main reason I drive BMW's is Ive Generally Never had any problems with them but since they introduced Runflats they have been a constant Thorn in my ownership experience..
If nearly every other manufacturer in the world can do without them why cant BMW..
It was perhaps a good idea at the time of conseption of the E60/61 model but you would have thought BMW would have listened to all the negative feedback regarding Run flats..
Well There You go ive let off a little steam.In the morning I will go round Check all my Tyre Pressures and Initialize the System..But Be warned my Beloved 5 series my missus is on your case and its not looking good, looks like your days may be numbered....
I can sympathise with you. I have had 4 replacement Run flat tyres in 20k miles of ownership over 15 months all due to punctures, some of which didn?t even penetrate right through the tyre but still caused air to escape. I don?t make a habit of driving round construction sites either!! In the end I choose to fit standard tyres to my car which I did not take lightly as I have three young children so want my car to be a safe as possible. The standard tyres went straight onto my standard BMW rims, the ride and handling are very much improved and I think easily out way the so called run flat safety advantage. What is the point of a run flat tyre that, in my opinion ,can be unpredictable in the wet and cold weather?. I have told my insurance who do not have an issue, neither does my BMW dealer. I have a space saver spare and jack kit in the boot so I am happy. A full set of Pirelli Conventional tyres cost me ?520, I just keep an eye on them for punctures , damage etc and the pressure monitor works in the same way as the Run Flats.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

All 3 of my E60s have been running on non-RFTs because I chose to upgrade to 19s. This was supported by BMW, who supply/recommend Dunlop and Continental non-RFT when you buy from them. In fact they supplied my 18" and 19" winter set-ups which are both non-RFT. BMW also offer the space saver wheel and "BMW Mobility" kit (bottle of gunk!). So I do not understand your (fithinarow) post above about BMW telling you not to go for non-RFTs -- thats your choice, like any other option they offer you. They may have a preference / corporate recommendation, but that also will vary from dealer to dealer, in the same way some will say "no-way" to a manual on a 6cyl diesel or cloth seats!

Before you sell your car and move to another brand, which will no doubt also have a significant associated (trade in value etc), take another look non-RFT tyres!! I was doing 60000km per year in my previous two E6?0s and only had 1 puncture in that time, and without incident.

Good luck getting this sorted...
Old 09-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fifthinarow' post='1011651' date='Sep 19 2009, 03:00 AM
No Not one of my local tyre fitters in somerset will entertain repairing a puncture in a run flat . As for common sense I do carry a space saver and also an audi tyre compressor in the Boot.
Dont live in or around a Building site in fact you couldnt get more rural than where I live.
Geez man, how hard is it to plug a tire yourself? Plug kits are sold everywhere cheap, and it takes less than 5 minutes to plug a tire.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Members

Smile

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='1011719' date='Sep 19 2009, 03:39 PM
Geez man, how hard is it to plug a tire yourself? Plug kits are sold everywhere cheap, and it takes less than 5 minutes to plug a tire.
Unfortunately I am Disabled other wise I would have a go myself.

Quick Reply: Yet another Tyre Puncture