E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Yet another option check

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by phelix' post='584275' date='May 20 2008, 11:07 AM
I have the pano sunroof in my car and have no height issues. I'm only 5' 11" but have a tall seated height (the legs of a short arse) and barely had enough headroom in my E46 3 series without a sunroof but loads of room in the E61 with the roof. You really need to try it and see.
... and I'm 6' 7" and have still plenty of space over my head until I bump into the sunroof!
Old 05-20-2008, 02:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by dejongj' post='583005
I want it, but is it worth it?
Head-up display (610)
Comfort seats, front (458) - Also includes electric seat adjustment with memory and dipping mirror (which we wanted anyway), and lumbar support.
Interior lights package (563) - Lighting of door-opener, front footwell lights underneath instrument panel, ambient light in front and rear door panels, door exit lights at rear and lighting of outer door area in outside mirror and addition luggage compartment lightning.
USB/audio interface (6FL)
I'm nowadays an avid HUD fan! The relief for my eyes is a great help and I believe on this forum with all the techno stuff and mods it's not appreciated enough. HUD is a must on my list.

Comfort seats. These seats are great, but the sport seats are good too. Being a tall guy (6'7") Ineed the lumbar support and then the price difference isn't high, so for me it was an easy choice. But the Sport seats will not dissapoint you either.

Extended lights package
Have that too, and it's a great help if you live in a part of the world where it's rather dark during the winter...

USB
Couldn't buy a E61 without it! I'm suddenly an avid podcast fan and use my USB stick for this purpose.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi dejongj,

Absolutely recommended:
Comfort seats, front (458)
Hi-Fi loudspeaker system - LOGIC 7 Professional (677)
Rear-view and folding exterior mirrors, automatically dimming (430)
High-beam assistant (5AC)

Nice to have:
Interior lights package (563)
Head-up display (610)
High-beam assistant (5AC)

If needed:
USB/audio interface (6FL)

A good tip:
Get rid of the RF tires!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Members

Never considered an 525d? this engine makes a fine car an excellent one.
I drive one myself (see my profile) and everytime I step in an 4 cyl. car, I notice a large difference like on a 4 cyl. engine the handbrake is always applied.

By the way, reasonable options for a E 61:
PDC, ever wondered what a rear bumper costs?
any hifi upgrade, std. hifi quality is horrible, aftermarket solutions while keeping the original controls cost a fortune.
USB , do it otherwise you will regret.
auto dimming rear mirror, annoying when you dont have it.
Extended airco, even alone for the nice knobs, in daily use not so much difference.

good luck with your choice!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:39 PM
rjc
Members

My Ride: Oct 2007: 525d SE Auto, Space Grey, Black Leather, Visibility Pack, Luxury Pack, Media Pack, Rear Air Bags, Space Saver Spare, Comfort Access, Auto Dim mirror + Ext folding, Through Load System, All round heated seats, Extended interior light pack, DAB, Logic 7, USB Interface and HUD.

You can see from my sig, I have a number of options too

Get the space saver spare, a bargin at ?75 when bought new. I actually like the 17" runflats I have too, and will probably stick with them. But, just in case, the spare is there too.

Check the maths, but the Visibility, media and comfort pack would cover most of what you want. The electric seats are great if two share the driving, as seat, mirrors and steering wheel swap over depending on whose key is used.

Personally, I would drop the High-beam assistant, get the HUD (check you can have it with sun-protection glass) add the air bags and heated seats front/rear. Logic7 is essential in my book too, as is the USB interface.

The interioir light pack is nice too, gives a nice feel inside. Rear-view and folding exterior mirrors, automatically dimming (430) are great - no more being blinded by people.

I also deleted the smokers pack, the 5 series isn't full of cubby holes for stuff. Taking the ashtrays out gives a little more space in the doors.

I went for the maintenance pack too. I really wanted to have a more "fixed price" experience with the car, bills have a habit of creeping up and can be bad if items come up together. The cost over my expected period of ownership I just accepted.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:41 AM
Members

usb - yes - especially if you get logic 7 - which is awesome by the way
blinds plus tinted windows - yes - works well together
auto 'high beam' assistant - dont waste your money - it gets confused and doesn't work properly.
xenon - absolutely
small spare tire - will save you money long run as its really cheap and non rfts are significantly cheaper

m sport - what do you really want out of the package ?

For me with my other options some of the expensive ones (metal paint) eg was already included in another package and on the touring 4x4 doesnt come with the the lowered suspension nor the stiffer sway bar !! I only found out after it was too late. Doe the math and see if its cheaper to get the sport options that you really want separately.

Consider the 525 - the 197bph with 400 torque engine is already awesome and can easily be upgraded with an ECU remap to become a 530 with 235bhp and 480 torque.
And if you want to push it even further, with a small additional amount of money you can turn it into a 270 bph monster with over 500 nm torque (see hartge.de site).
Old 05-21-2008, 03:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by the missile' post='585097' date='May 21 2008, 10:41 AM
usb - yes - especially if you get logic 7 - which is awesome by the way
blinds plus tinted windows - yes - works well together
auto 'high beam' assistant - dont waste your money - it gets confused and doesn't work properly.
xenon - absolutely
small spare tire - will save you money long run as its really cheap and non rfts are significantly cheaper

m sport - what do you really want out of the package ?

For me with my other options some of the expensive ones (metal paint) eg was already included in another package and on the touring 4x4 doesnt come with the the lowered suspension nor the stiffer sway bar !! I only found out after it was too late. Doe the math and see if its cheaper to get the sport options that you really want separately.

Consider the 525 - the 197bph with 400 torque engine is already awesome and can easily be upgraded with an ECU remap to become a 530 with 235bhp and 480 torque.
And if you want to push it even further, with a small additional amount of money you can turn it into a 270 bph monster with over 500 nm torque (see hartge.de site).
M-Sport: I really want the look and the seats so everything That is definitely a must have...

I'm not considering the 525 or anything else as the main concern is down-sizing and become a bit more green conscious. The 520d is as green as you can get for a luxury car, reduce the tax burden in the uk. But more importantly protect the resale value for the future. The value of not green engines is dropping at a significant rate in the uk.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

The 520d's CO2 is 154 grams/km and the 525d is 176. Long term the VED will be ?150 and ?205 respectively. In my opinion the smoothness and torque of the 525d is worth it; the 4 cylinder is rough by comparison.

If you want to appear green you can always get the badge delete on the 525d and add a 520d badge; that's what I have on my 535d!
Old 05-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Members

The comfort seats are fantastic; well worth the money.

The hifi speakers pack is the minimum; logic 7 even better; dont stay with standard speakers.

You did not mention active cruise; this is a great piece of technology which works very well; though im not sure if the 520d will allow this?

I also have active steering; seems alot of money but is another great piece of kit; all cars without it are very stodgy at low speeds;

Dont go for 18 inch alloys though; stick with the 17 inch; ride is far better.

Extended lights pack look great but isnt needed.

Adaptive zenons (visi pack) also a must.

Finally; what about medis pack; I know you can get a Tom Tom for a few bob these days; but the built in system may be the difference between a sale or no sale in the future.

Go for all the above and you will have a very well specced car which you wont want to sell for years!!

Cheers
Old 05-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Members

Thanks for all the replies guys/girls....It will be negotiation time soon and see what deal I can get....

I wish you guys stop talking about upping the engine, ideally I want a 535d and I can afford a 535d, and it is greener than a lot of other cars in that class of engine....But I want to do this one with my mind, and lets face it the car will be mainly driven by my wife on the school run except for some of the weekend...And having driven the 520d it is impressively fast compared to a lot of other vehicles we looked at....

Anyway thanks again...

Quick Reply: Yet another option check