E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Yet another option check

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are about to 'downgrade' to a greener car from our Nissan Murano. It will be mainly my wife's car during the week and our family car during the weekend and holidays. I drive a 740i e38 for my business miles.

Anyway as per the title we are starting out with a UK spec 520d M-Sport Touring but in addition we were thinking of adding:

Must have options
Automatic transmission (205)
Dakota Leather Upholstery (LC)
Media package (Z5P) - Navigation system professional, bluetooth telephone preparation with telematics, BMW Connected drive Assist/Online, CD Changer for six CDs, Voice Control Extended
Visibility package (Z5K) - Xenon headlights for low and high beam, headlight wash, adapative headlights
Air conditioning, automatic with extended features (534) - Also included Armrest - front with sliding adjustment
Sun protection glazing (761) - Includes rear side/screen and graduated tinted windscreen
Metallic paintwork (met)

Most likely we'll get those as well
Airbags, rear side (261)
High-beam assistant (5AC)
Rear-view and folding exterior mirrors, automatically dimming (430)
Sunblinds - rear side windows, manual adjustment (417)
Hi-Fi loudspeaker system - LOGIC 7 Professional (677)
BMW Service 5 years/60k miles - Probably only keep it for 3 years but will do approximately 45k miles

I want it, but is it worth it?
Head-up display (610)
Comfort seats, front (458) - Also includes electric seat adjustment with memory and dipping mirror (which we wanted anyway), and lumbar support.
Interior lights package (563) - Lighting of door-opener, front footwell lights underneath instrument panel, ambient light in front and rear door panels, door exit lights at rear and lighting of outer door area in outside mirror and addition luggage compartment lightning.
USB/audio interface (6FL)

I had a test drive yesterday, and whilst not the ultimate in performance and engine noise refinement, performance wise it was comparable to our current 3.5V6 Petrol which is impressive. And I was also pleasantly surprised by the comfort of the RFT on the 135M rims.

I appreciate any feedback regarding our desired options, and also hints/tips for getting discounts on this car in the UK.

Kind regards,
Jean-Paul
Old 05-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Contributors

Jean-Paul,
I only recently placed my order for a 520d Msport saloon, I managed to negotiate a ?3000+ discount and got the Business Sat Nav and 6 dic CD player for ?300+ (Sat Nav was a BMW offer, try the website to see if it is still valid on the configerator). The local dealers were not any good and ended up going 60mile to Glasgow, i am going to collect the car by train as i have sold my old E46 privately.

Have checked the dealers website and there is no sign of the E60 discount offer, but it may be worth a phone call. The salesman i dealt with was Martin Duffy, he was very knowledgeable and no bull*hit.

http://www.harryfairbairngiffnockbmw...utus/news.html
Old 05-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Sun protection glazing (761) - If you live in London you may have a problem with the Congestion Charge Card being read from the back of the rear mirror as a result.

Airbags, rear side (261) - depends on if you are carrying kids or not, else dont waste your money.
High-beam assistant (5AC) - Dont get this, seriously don't its a complete waste even for the little you pay for it. I have it and its the only option that I never use.
Rear-view and folding exterior mirrors, automatically dimming (430) - I actually didn't take this but I wish I did. I would have taken it if I could take it without the auto dimming. There are times when I like to know what the rear looks like without any electronic interference. The interior rear view does it already.
Sunblinds - rear side windows, manual adjustment (417) - again if you have kids then get it.
Hi-Fi loudspeaker system - LOGIC 7 Professional (677). I would get these especially in the E61 because its a big car and the standard audio gets lost on the inside.
BMW Service 5 years/60k miles - Probably only keep it for 3 years but will do approximately 45k miles - Dont bother with this. Based on your mileage you wont break even.

I want it, but is it worth it?
Head-up display (610) - This is a nice to have
Comfort seats, front (458) - Also includes electric seat adjustment with memory and dipping mirror (which we wanted anyway), and lumbar support. - Check the Comfort Package because that has memory seats and you get the Advanced AC too as part of the package. The packages are infact very good value for money. They were the only reasons why I changed my plans from a 320D SE to a 520D SE and yet saved money.
Interior lights package (563) - Lighting of door-opener, front footwell lights underneath instrument panel, ambient light in front and rear door panels, door exit lights at rear and lighting of outer door area in outside mirror and addition luggage compartment lightning. - Again something that you will see only when you start and stop, so its a cool feature.
USB/audio interface (6FL) - In today's world I would say get it. It cannot be retrofitted.

Definately get the Space Saver Spare added in case you decide to dump the RFT. Use the money you'll save on the High Beam Assist on this option instead. What about the Heated Steering wheel option? - even in London I thank my wife for making me spec that on.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

I would also consider heated seats and the sport automatic transmission. Not sure why you would want sun protection glass and sun blinds? And is there an option for a space saver spare and jack - probably much cheaper to buy now and would allow you to go with standard tyres in the future. Pano roof is nice but pricey - it does brighten up the interior of the car a lot - useful with black leather and black headliner.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:05 AM
Members

Cheers for the replies....

I live just north of London near Whipsnade Wild Animal park in the country side and are constantly switching between high beams, we have very little city driving. Does it actually work when you do use it?

Yes we have two young children in the back. Interesting tip regarding the vignettes for congestion charging, and I guess toll roads, we've been so used to it in our 4x4 vehicles that I think we go for it. For the money it is actually cheaper than having film installed after-market....

I couldn't see a comfort package in the price list, I'll ask about that or perhaps they stopped doing them...

Good info regarding the options that can't be retrofitted, I guess they go to the must have list

The reason I was thinking about both the sun protection glass and the blinds is that the glass is actually lighter in shade than our Murano at the moment and in that we still have to stick blinds against the windows. It would be nice not to have to do that but nice and tidely integrated in the car...That was our thinking...

I quite liked the way the RFT drove, but it seems I am the only one. It was actually more comfortable than our Murano 4x4 and on a par with my e38....But it is an interesting point regarding the space saver, what has to give to get one of those?

Does the sun-roof take up a lot of space/headroom? That is the main reason for not getting one....My wife and I are 6Ft, 6Ft3 respectively, and my father is 6ft5 and my father in-law is 6ft6....So all quite tall...It does look rather nice and since my wife wants the black interior I was thinking of it....

Now but the most I am intriqued about the servicing deal. The Murano 3.5V6 needs a service every 9k miles (small, big, small, big etc). The smallest cost ?215 and the bigger cost ?415, so the BMW deal sounded really good value for money. In comparison my BMW 740 e38 which I don't have dealer maintained due to its age, still cost me ?105 for an oil service, ?155 for an inspection 1 and about ?260 for an inspection 2. How little servicing does the 520d need since I would have guess we break even in 1.5 years...In addition my wife liked the idea that she doesn't have to haggle and between service contract and warranty there should be anything to pay, that means for me I don't have to get her car services as I always haggle about price :-)

Really appreciate the feedback...
Old 05-18-2008, 03:07 AM
Members

Oh forgot to mention, in the UK you can't combine the sports auto transmission with the 520d...Only available on the 530d and 535d. I would have gone for that since the Murano has a CVT and I loved that, gears were instant and I thought the 520d was a little hesitant on the test drive until switched into DSG (is that correct!?) on the standard auto box which made it acceptable to me....
Old 05-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Members

My Ride: Mystic Blue Nov 2004 5.30d SE :: Bluetooth :: Prof Nav :: TV :: Auto :: Beige Leather :: 18'' M Sport Alloys :: Folding Mirrors :: Headlight Washers

Active steering is a big plus in my books
Old 05-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by zimguy' post='583991' date='May 20 2008, 12:55 AM
Active steering is a big plus in my books
Thanks for the suggestion, I think I would have liked that indeed but unfortunately you can order that in combination with the 520d. And since the primary reason for getting one of these is to go 'green' getting the other engines is no really an option for us.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

I can't comment on some of your other options, but the one thing I would definitely go for is the Xenon headlights.

I think the standard ones on our car are dangerous. They don't illuminate far enough in front and there have been times when I've had to suddenly brake because I've got no idea where the road is going next.

Spoke to the guys at BMW and they say they're aligned correctly, but they're certainly worse than our old A4 which also had halogen lights.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

I have the pano sunroof in my car and have no height issues. I'm only 5' 11" but have a tall seated height (the legs of a short arse) and barely had enough headroom in my E46 3 series without a sunroof but loads of room in the E61 with the roof. You really need to try it and see.

Quick Reply: Yet another option check