E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have got a new 530d Touring with 245/40/18 run flat tires. It seems impossible to get winter tires with these dimensions...even not run flat! According my tire shop the reason is that in Germany winter tires becames mandatory this year...But I am in Italy and I need them!
Does somebody has the same problem?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 - BMW E61 535d Delivered 06/03/2005 , Steptronic, Titan Silver , Black Dakota Leather, Comfort seats,Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, GSM Pro , 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, Extended Lights, HiFi System Pro Logic7, Extended Voice, Heated f&r /seats.Heated steeringW., Active steering, HUD, Wheels ,122 245/45/17 B.S. Re050 RFT (summer), 116 225/50/17 Michelin X-ice (winter), Cold Weather package ,PDC,Sunblinds for Rear Windows,Webasto Parking heater. 1979 - BMW E12 518i Manual, Iberish Rot (spanish red). Summer car at summer-house.

Nokian RSi and Dunlop Winter Sport M3 should be available in 245/40/18.Hopefully in
Italy as well!
Old 12-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Members

My Ride: in 2005... a completly crashed Audi A4 3.0 Quattro. ... 24th Jan. 2006... a new 530xd Touring

Originally Posted by Marco' post='208721' date='Dec 8 2005, 05:28 PM
I have got a new 530d Touring with 245/40/18 run flat tires. It seems impossible to get winter tires with these dimensions...even not run flat! According my tire shop the reason is that in Germany winter tires becames mandatory this year...But I am in Italy and I need them!

FORGET !!!
:thumbsdown:

The only thing that you will find in this dimension is the name "winter tire"...

'cause, I have the same dimensions on my ordered 530 xd (will be built 2nd week 2006) and as I live in Switzerland, I can tell you that there is no way for me to drive in winter without winter tires....

So, I asked everybody, searched for any info or doc on the internet without any success!
With 245/40/18 you will find only really really bad winter tires! (too wide and not enough "profile"... for snow...)
The only way to get acceptable winter tires is to buy 17'' tires in 225/?/17.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 - BMW E61 535d Delivered 06/03/2005 , Steptronic, Titan Silver , Black Dakota Leather, Comfort seats,Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, GSM Pro , 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, Extended Lights, HiFi System Pro Logic7, Extended Voice, Heated f&r /seats.Heated steeringW., Active steering, HUD, Wheels ,122 245/45/17 B.S. Re050 RFT (summer), 116 225/50/17 Michelin X-ice (winter), Cold Weather package ,PDC,Sunblinds for Rear Windows,Webasto Parking heater. 1979 - BMW E12 518i Manual, Iberish Rot (spanish red). Summer car at summer-house.

Whats wrong with these tires?

Nokian
Old 12-10-2005, 06:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by boubou' post='209281

FORGET !!!
:thumbsdown:

The only thing that you will find in this dimension is the name "winter tire"...

'cause, I have the same dimensions on my ordered 530 xd (will be built 2nd week 2006) and as I live in Switzerland, I can tell you that there is no way for me to drive in winter without winter tires....

So, I asked everybody, searched for any info or doc on the internet without any success!
With 245/40/18 you will find only really really bad winter tires! (too wide and not enough "profile"... for snow...)
[/quote]

Another link,click 'tiremanager' in link; Dunlop. See also; Continental
Old 12-10-2005, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i, Orient Blue (shadow line), Black Leather, Steptronic, Sports Pkg, M-Aero Kit w/RaceMesh Grille, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, HUD, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Sunshade, ALU Cube interior trim, Back-lit Door Sills, Comfort Seats!

Really? I just bought these from the Tire Rack:
4 245/40VR-18 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 $195.00 ea

For performance, some people seem to like them better than their OE all-seasons. Mine should arrive this week.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

I must agree with boubou. Calling that dimension of tyres "winter" or M+S is really to cheat pepole in to a false safety. Yes, you have tyres the manufacturer call winter tyres, no arguing about that at all. But when you come to the real world outside the fancy brochyres, that dimensions are more or less useless on real snow and ice.

When I order wintertyres I order as small wheels as possible and as narrow ones as possible. The only reason why I shuld get as big as 17" is to get the breaks to fit in the wheels. If I could, I would get 15"!! I had 225/45-17" on my old Saab 9-3 SS Aero and it as no bite at all when it got turned to real winter. Less profile than 55 is not recomended if you want to get some traction in the snow. It looks good, but calling em "wintertyres" are cheating.

There are rumors here in Sweden that there is a S-EU version and N-EU version of many of the M+S tyres. The S-versions is supposed to be harder and more or less a summertyre with M+S pattern.

Not to be forgotten is that we have really big differences in winter in the North and South of EU.

Oh, I forgott to tell that I have Nokian Hakka-4 215/60-16" with studs on my ride in the winter. They work great in both snow and ice!
Old 12-10-2005, 08:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Robert J' post='209590' date='Dec 10 2005, 05:17 PM
I must agree with boubou. Calling that dimension of tyres "winter" or M+S is really to cheat pepole in to a false safety. Yes, you have tyres the manufacturer call winter tyres, no arguing about that at all. But when you come to the real world outside the fancy brochyres, that dimensions are more or less useless on real snow and ice.

When I order wintertyres I order as small wheels as possible and as narrow ones as possible. The only reason why I shuld get as big as 17" is to get the breaks to fit in the wheels. If I could, I would get 15"!! I had 225/45-17" on my old Saab 9-3 SS Aero and it as no bite at all when it got turned to real winter. Less profile than 55 is not recomended if you want to get some traction in the snow. It looks good, but calling em "wintertyres" are cheating.

There are rumors here in Sweden that there is a S-EU version and N-EU version of many of the M+S tyres. The S-versions is supposed to be harder and more or less a summertyre with M+S pattern.

Not to be forgotten is that we have really big differences in winter in the North and South of EU.

Oh, I forgott to tell that I have Nokian Hakka-4 215/60-16" with studs on my ride in the winter. They work great in both snow and ice!
Old 12-10-2005, 08:10 AM
Contributors

Well, Marco who started this tread was in Italy so that was the basis for me giving links to large/wide wintertires.He could use wheels down to 16" for wintertires on his 530d.
Robert J. of course has a point in narrow tires cutting through deeper snow.
I need 17" for the 535dt and also must consider Load index, so I go with 17" 225/50 LI94.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Robert J' post='209590' date='Dec 10 2005, 05:17 PM

This comments make me reply in this way: why did'n t you buy a nice set of 4 rubbers 145/70/15 for your nice saab...???? That should be much better!!!!!!!! )btw, I do not see any 215-60-16 in my 530 booklet...

Quick Reply: Winter Tires