E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

What model to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi people,

It has been a long time since my last post here (when I was trying to choose between a 5 Touring and a Volvo V70...guess who won).

Now I'm back again since I miss the BMW driving feeling, having had a E46 328i before the Volvo. However, today there's too many choices and I would like to share with you my doubts to see if anyone faced the same 'problem' as I'm facing.

My driver profile is a lot of town driving and rare gateways (most holidays). However, I would like to have something fun to drive on those rare occasions since I believe in the phrase 'you only live once...'. Also, the car will be leased for 3 years

The main thing here is the model: 3 or 5 series (both touring). Having two kids, the Touring is a given but I wonder if the extra space of the 5 is justified for holiday trips since I was thinking adding a roof case to the 3 if more space is needed. So, anyone tried both and how are they like to drive?

In my opinion, here are the pros and cons of each model:

3 series

Pros:

More fun to drive (?)
Cheaper
Beautifull design

Cons:

Space (?)

5 series

Pros:

Confort Seats
Dynamic Drive
More refined (?)
Space

Cons:

Expensive
Less fun to drive (?)
Ugly front lights (personal opinion)

Then, the engine. My heart says the x35d while the head says minimum 525d or 330d (no 325d since this engine doesn't offer the AT). Like the paddles on the x35d though...Also I don't like the twin exaust pipe on the 335d (looks too 'tunning' for my taste...)

So, if you are still reading this by now, sorry for the long post and to be a pain since I bet most of the answers to my questions would be given by testing the full model range...
Old 12-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Not driven it but the 3 series sounds most fun per Euro.
However, the age of the kids could be a factor - under 10 shove then in the 3 series, 10-14 then they may need the space of the 5 series (esp. boys could be very big at end of lease), 15+ get the 3 coupe / convertible as very soon they won't want to go anywhere with their parents (unless the wheels are super cool) !
Old 12-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='366207' date='Dec 11 2006, 03:59 PM
Not driven it but the 3 series sounds most fun per Euro.
However, the age of the kids could be a factor - under 10 shove then in the 3 series, 10-14 then they may need the space of the 5 series (esp. boys could be very big at end of lease), 15+ get the 3 coupe / convertible as very soon they won't want to go anywhere with their parents (unless the wheels are super cool) !
Well, for the moment, there are 3 1/2 and 4 months old so I am wondering if both children chairs fit behind. Already with the Volvo, I have to pull t^he passenger seat forwards so that she can be confortable with the legs. Guess that a trip to the dealer imposes itself...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

If you like to drive fast I go for the 3er but if itis used for family more like me I go for the 5er.
If I buy a new 2nd car I would get the new mini
I just got a s2000 and a smart for two both pre owned to drive which I share with my frend
Old 12-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

I have a 5 series Touring and my wife a 3 series Touring. <_<

The difference for me is mainly in the way both cars feel on the road. The 5 series is a much more grown up car with significant better road holding and comfort. Yes, because the 3 series is smaller it is a bit more agile but that's it then.

Thinking about space the 5 series wins by a big margin. Passenger space difference is obvious but you should also think of the luggage space (pushchairs etc.). Everything will be more cramped in the 3 series and I would hate the hastle of a roof box to compensate.

The price difference is rather small (at least in the UK) so that shouldn't guide your decision.

Enginewise I cannot contribute that much to your decision as I like petrol engines much better than diesel. I test drove the 525d however and was very disappointed by the noise level and the way the car accelerates which I expected to be better and different. Also test drove a 320d a few weeks ago and was positively surprised about the performance as I didn't expect it to 'feel' as quick as it actually is.

In a nutshell - I would consider the 520d or trade up to the 530d. I would not consider the 3 series at all.

All a matter of personal taste I guess.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

I was in a similar situation a few months ago (2 small children, need a new used car). Looked at a 330d (231 bhp) and a 535d, both Touring. The 535d won hands down. Much more space, and a better engine, though the 3 felt more agile and with a better gearbox.

The real deal breaker was the price, though. The 535d price was not that much higher (about ?30/month over five years), for a car that was a year older than the 330d, but with the same low mileage...
Old 12-14-2006, 07:49 AM
Members

I owned a Volvo 850 TDI SW. Then a Saab 95 SW DTI 3.0

And finally a BMW 535D Touring.

A real progression altough the Volvo was far more a better car than the GM Saab.

My children are now 18 and 16 years old, so than I can no longer use that extra room from the e61, but I love it.

SW is the most appealing look for a car!

Best regards from Spain
Old 12-20-2006, 08:46 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Dragonii' post='366178' date='Dec 11 2006, 08:50 PM
Hi people,

It has been a long time since my last post here (when I was trying to choose between a 5 Touring and a Volvo V70...guess who won).

Now I'm back again since I miss the BMW driving feeling, having had a E46 328i before the Volvo. However, today there's too many choices and I would like to share with you my doubts to see if anyone faced the same 'problem' as I'm facing.

My driver profile is a lot of town driving and rare gateways (most holidays). However, I would like to have something fun to drive on those rare occasions since I believe in the phrase 'you only live once...'. Also, the car will be leased for 3 years

The main thing here is the model: 3 or 5 series (both touring). Having two kids, the Touring is a given but I wonder if the extra space of the 5 is justified for holiday trips since I was thinking adding a roof case to the 3 if more space is needed. So, anyone tried both and how are they like to drive?

In my opinion, here are the pros and cons of each model:

3 series

Pros:

More fun to drive (?)
Cheaper
Beautifull design

Cons:

Space (?)

5 series

Pros:

Confort Seats
Dynamic Drive
More refined (?)
Space

Cons:

Expensive
Less fun to drive (?)
Ugly front lights (personal opinion)

Then, the engine. My heart says the x35d while the head says minimum 525d or 330d (no 325d since this engine doesn't offer the AT). Like the paddles on the x35d though...Also I don't like the twin exaust pipe on the 335d (looks too 'tunning' for my taste...)

So, if you are still reading this by now, sorry for the long post and to be a pain since I bet most of the answers to my questions would be given by testing the full model range...

If you go for the 5er, make sure you get M-Sprots suspension, I had it on a loaner today and despite the rubbish run flat tyres, it was light years ahead of my SE set up.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

Originally Posted by KAF' post='369522' date='Dec 20 2006, 05:46 PM
If you go for the 5er, make sure you get M-Sprots suspension, I had it on a loaner today and despite the rubbish run flat tyres, it was light years ahead of my SE set up.

light years ahead despite rubbish run flat tyres

... in what way ?

I've tried both and would say they are different - but don't think the M-Sports is overall better.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:04 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by The Hollies' post='369568' date='Dec 20 2006, 07:03 PM
light years ahead despite rubbish run flat tyres

... in what way ?

I've tried both and would say they are different - but don't think the M-Sports is overall better.

Cornering was tighter, body roll considerably less and the feeling I have always had on my SE, even with RFT's, of the rear being 'shaky' was not apparent.

The whole chassis felt tighter.

I know RFT's tighten up the handling feel due to the stiff sidewalls, but I drove 12,000 miles with them on my SE and the handling never felt as solid as on this car with M-Sports suspension.