E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

I am going to buy a second hand car pretty soon and would like your opinion.

My choices are:

1. Audi A6 Avant 3.0 TDI quattro tiptronic

2. BMW 530d Touring steptronic

Both cars to be around 1 to 2 years old and up to 50.000 kms and about the same price range.

I would like some real life experience from owners or ex-owners of either cars.

I have tested drove both cars in petrol engines as diesels are limited in Greece. Audi with the 2.0 manual and BMW 525i auto, I liked the BMW more but then again it was a 6 pot compared to a 4 pot one, not so fair.

Thanks in advance and sorry if bothering you! <_<
Old 09-23-2006, 03:25 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

For me too the A6 Avant and the 5 series touring where the two options I considered and I test drove both cars.

Both are good cars and you can't go wrong with either of the two. I liked the BMW much better in terms of 'feel'. What I mean by this is the way the car sticks to the road, the way the steering works etc. For me the Audi does not give me the kind of feedback you want as a driver. Steering is too 'light' and roadholding too undefined. Its all a question of personal preference but I believe that's exactly what it comes down to when choosing between two cars that are at this level.

Although you tested not the engine options you would buy you should get a good overall impression from test driving both cars with other engines. Go for what you like better.

In terms of two engines you are looking at I have to say I think the Audi engine feels a bit smoother and more potent than the BMW one. But I'm not a good judge of diesel engines because I like petrol engines much better - and thats where BMW is clearly superior vs Audi I think.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by The Hollies' post='337710' date='Sep 23 2006, 06:25 AM
For me too the A6 Avant and the 5 series touring where the two options I considered and I test drove both cars.

Both are good cars and you can't go wrong with either of the two. I liked the BMW much better in terms of 'feel'. What I mean by this is the way the car sticks to the road, the way the steering works etc. For me the Audi does not give me the kind of feedback you want as a driver. Steering is too 'light' and roadholding too undefined. Its all a question of personal preference but I believe that's exactly what it comes down to when choosing between two cars that are at this level.

Although you tested not the engine options you would buy you should get a good overall impression from test driving both cars with other engines. Go for what you like better.

In terms of two engines you are looking at I have to say I think the Audi engine feels a bit smoother and more potent than the BMW one. But I'm not a good judge of diesel engines because I like petrol engines much better - and thats where BMW is clearly superior vs Audi I think.

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for your reply!

Just found this topic: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=28249 and I think made my mind up, will stay to BMW and probly go for a 535d E61.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by gianton' post='337728' date='Sep 23 2006, 07:20 AM
Thanks for your reply!

Just found this topic: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=28249 and I think made my mind up, will stay to BMW and probly go for a 535d E61.

Good choice on the 535 E61. Please post pictures once you have it.

Kaloriziko!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

Hey Gianton - that is clearly the winning choice !
Old 09-25-2006, 01:10 AM
Members

I have been facing exactly this choice this year. After driving an A6 2.7tdi for 2 years the lease was up and I fancied a change. The E60 works out a few hundred pound cheaper than the A6. I've driven the 2 of these into the ground with numerous test drives and much as I tried to convince myself that I should go for the E60 because of the sharper drive and better handling I just couldn't get over the less comfortable and ropier cabin of the E60. The standard seats, climate and audio of the E60 are dramatically worse than the standard A6 setup, in fact worse than the smax I've just had for the weekend and for me that pretty much nullified the enjoyment of the better handling. I have taken frends and colleagues out on runs to see if I was missing something here but generally the feedback confirmed my thoughts. The SA did confess that many people remarked on the uncomfortable seats and that they would generally advise an upgrade.

If you don't do huge mileages and/or you spend a lot of time on fast twisty roads, then the E60 is certainly more fun but with most of my driving is on motorways and fast A-roads and in these conditions there wasn't much in it and the A6 engine seemed to me to be more refined than and just as punchy as the 3.0d, though the 535d would certainly be another story. It's meningless to discuss exterior styling as both cars dramatically divide opinion and it's your opinion that counts. Hopefully you'll know enough to realize that an A6 shares no major components with VW or Skoda and be able to sort the dafter from the genuine criticisms.

As someone said earlier it's largely personal preference and they are both really good cars and indeed if you can get an E60 with comfort seats, advanced climate and at least hifi speakers then many of what were issues for me would be addressed. I'm holding off to the next time to see if the facelifted model offers a more appealing package.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 525D

it?s funny it was the same cars i had in mind when i startede too look at new car i testdrove an Audi A6 2.7Tdi and then straight too Bmw and testdrove an 525D the order i placede at the last visit !
The A6 was MUCH more noisy inside the enginge sound was 2 much and the cabine overall not as good imo as in the BMW
There were no sound in the BMW compared too the A6 and the moment i was behind the wheel it just felt right i was sold
I think BMW are some steps ahead when it comes too Diesel enginges

They both got the looks imo
Attached Thumbnails What to buy?-001.jpg   What to buy?-xek145_1001.jpg