E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Water in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, no problem.
But, as a note, I can only repeat what others have told by solving their problems.

The sealing of the vent against the body is occassionally of poor quality. Means that the sealing is loosened during the time and flips out. If someone goes often into a car wash with that unknown damage (because ist not visible), the water will be splattered from underneath into the trunk through the damaged sealing.

On the right side the battery trunk will be flooded first, but maybe the water floats around into the tyre mould.
I guess that there is another vent on the left side. If so, the water floats directly into the tire mould, because there is no moulde as on the battery side.

But even if not, this is obvious if the sun roof drainage is blocked and the water goes down on the back inside the body on both the left or right side. I have seen rust inside the luggage compartment mechanics, so there must have been water inside for a longer time.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Andy_E61
Ok, no problem.
But, as a note, I can only repeat what others have told by solving their problems.

The sealing of the vent against the body is occassionally of poor quality. Means that the sealing is loosened during the time and flips out. If someone goes often into a car wash with that unknown damage (because ist not visible), the water will be splattered from underneath into the trunk through the damaged sealing.

On the right side the battery trunk will be flooded first, but maybe the water floats around into the tyre mould.
I guess that there is another vent on the left side. If so, the water floats directly into the tire mould, because there is no moulde as on the battery side.

But even if not, this is obvious if the sun roof drainage is blocked and the water goes down on the back inside the body on both the left or right side. I have seen rust inside the luggage compartment mechanics, so there must have been water inside for a longer time.
Ok I have a few things to say about that:
1. There is a vent and a mould on the left side as well.
2. Filling the battery compartment is certainly one way for the water to get into tyre mould - this is how it happened on my car
3. Rust in the trunk definitely indicates water - but the water can come there from many sources, like panorama roof etc.
What I dont understand is how the water can get from the vent directly into the tyre mould..
Old 02-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Members

Hello
I am new to the forum.
I have an E61 and have found water in the battery compartment.I do not have a sunroof and cannot see the rubber drainage pipes behind the fusebox or on the other side.

Could they be located somewhere else ?

Thanks

Paul.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TOURER23
Hello
I am new to the forum.
I have an E61 and have found water in the battery compartment.I do not have a sunroof and cannot see the rubber drainage pipes behind the fusebox or on the other side.
sounds like the side vent is the only possible fault with yours?
Old 02-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT: CPO purchase in 2008, used by a BMW exec previously, and like-new when I got it. Compared to my other cars, at first I thought it felt heavy and steering was too heavy. Now, I really enjoy driving it in town and on the freeway. On my

It doesn't make sense, how can water get to the side vents if the body undercladding is in place. It's physically easier and more logical from the taillights and rear bumper. Seems we need a little detective work, so I think I'm going to put in a water entrance tracing system (WETS) and try to get to the bottom of this:

WETS = strips of paper towels taped at the top of the spare wheel well at the 12:00, 1:30, 3:00, 4:30, 6:00, 7:30, 9:00, and 10:30 positions. Also strips under the left and right vents.

Only trouble is it only rains 13" a year here so it may take me awhile to get a leak, or maybe not. Anyone know how to rig up water detection sensor for early warning if the wheel well fills up?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Members

I suspect that water is getting into the battery compartment through the black vent situated just above the battery.I stick my finger through the flaps and it is wet behind.I do not have a sunroof !!!!

How is the vent removed ? Is it just a case of prying it out with a small screwdriver ,drying it out and then placing silicon sealant around its edges ?

I have had under the spare tyre checked where all the modules are and it bone dry which is good.Therefore I am only getting water into the battery comp.It isn't a lot of water,but as i know its there i want to sort it.

Thanks

Paul
Old 03-10-2011, 03:10 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 E61 525d M Sport Auto. Silver Grey, Media Pack, Visibility Pack, Black leather, Active, Comfort, Memory Seats, Powered Tailgate, Panoramic Sunroof, Advanced Climate, Sun Protection Glass, Dark Poplar Wood, Extended Interior Lighting, Tracker.

Hi all,
First post on the forum so i'll keep it brief!!
Had the same problem on my 03/2005 E61. It has got a sunroof so from what's been posted this seems to be the culprit. To avoid further damage whilst trying to find the cause of the leak I have removed one of the rubber bungs found under the battery in the base of the battery compartment. A little primitive I know, but it ensures that any water drains straight away rather than splashing up onto control modules or into spare wheel well etc. Where exactly are the sunroof drains located??
Cheers all
Roger
Old 03-11-2011, 01:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by roger1560
Hi all,
First post on the forum so i'll keep it brief!!
Had the same problem on my 03/2005 E61. It has got a sunroof so from what's been posted this seems to be the culprit. To avoid further damage whilst trying to find the cause of the leak I have removed one of the rubber bungs found under the battery in the base of the battery compartment. A little primitive I know, but it ensures that any water drains straight away rather than splashing up onto control modules or into spare wheel well etc. Where exactly are the sunroof drains located??
Cheers all
Roger
Welcome Roger! There is a link to the original thread (with instructions) in the first post on the previous page.
You also have a DIY document with pics (though in German) here: http://www.alyza.eu/bmwpower/E61%20-...erablaeufe.pdf
Old 03-11-2011, 03:25 AM
Members

I have used a hosepipe and def water coming in through the vent .I have now sealed it with silicon sealant and is ok now
Old 03-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT: CPO purchase in 2008, used by a BMW exec previously, and like-new when I got it. Compared to my other cars, at first I thought it felt heavy and steering was too heavy. Now, I really enjoy driving it in town and on the freeway. On my

Originally Posted by TOURER23
I have used a hosepipe and def water coming in through the vent .
tourer23, where did you run your hosepipe?

In the meantime, I've implemented my WETS (Water Entrance Tracing System) in an attempt to get better data on the source of water coming into the spare tire well. I'm still skeptical that it's the vents, but rather than argue ad nauseam, I'll go get my own data. Personally, I think it's the rear bumper, but again, I'll let the evidence speak for itself. Here's pictures of my high-tech solution , paper towel strips taped around the well, by the vent, and over the threshold from the battery to the well:
Water in trunk-530xit_wets_3100e.jpg
Water in trunk-530xit_wets_3104.jpg

With all trunk uphostery and spare tire restored, still easy to check the high suspect areas of WETS:
Water in trunk-530xit_wets_3108e.jpg

Quick Reply: Water in trunk