E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Wastegate actuator replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 09:07 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535d
Default Wastegate actuator replace?

Hey all,
I've just changed the small turbo on my 535d.

I have been checking all the actuators etc and the 535d has following turbo controls:
1. Turbine control
2. Compressor bypass
3. Wastegate

No3 the wastegae is bolted on to the bottom larger turbo. Mines buggered. I put a vacuum pump on it and it wont move or hold pressure. The wastgate arm is tight but will move.

Problem is that i have looked and can't seem to be able to buy a replacement vacuum actuator for my model at all. You can buy for 530d but not the 535d. It seems its only available with a new turbo unit which I'm not about to do!

Does anyone have an idea or solution? The only thing i can think of is to try find an acuator of similar size, but the attachment points seem always different and I'm not sure if the required movement will be correct.

Any help appreciated. Seems to have to buy new turbo just to change a cheap vacuum actuator.

The following users liked this post:
jinsta (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 11:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 30d, E39 35i
Model Year: 2004, 2001
Engine: M57n

So just come across this thread, but same question really. Can the wastegate actuator just be replaced on the 535d large turbo with one of another unit or does anyone know of folks who sell/furb them on their own
Old 11-20-2020, 11:43 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by jinsta
So just come across this thread, but same question really. Can the wastegate actuator just be replaced on the 535d large turbo with one of another unit or does anyone know of folks who sell/furb them on their own
I couldn't find one. No turbo place would sell it on its own. I was lucky in the end and found a leak in the line and a fault with my vacuum gauge so in the end the actuator was OK. I did however clean and lube the shaft with some rubber grease ad try to free up the wastegate itself.

I also ended up with blocked manifold for vacuum. That's the one where all the vacuum pipes for turbo etc branch off the main fat vacuum line. It sits under the intake manifold on the right as you look at engine from the front. I had to insert a pin down each hole, at the bottom of each hole was a further tiny pin hole that I poked. Managed to get all my vacuum pressure back. Also replaced all the lines as was plagued with leaks.
That wastegate arm seems mega stiff but with normal vacuum it works just fine.

If you need acuator best bet is find a knacked turbo from somewhere online or breaker. You can un bolt the actuator.
jinsta (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 11:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rob Michie
I couldn't find one. No turbo place would sell it on its own. I was lucky in the end and found a leak in the line and a fault with my vacuum gauge so in the end the actuator was OK. I did however clean and lube the shaft with some rubber grease ad try to free up the wastegate itself.

I also ended up with blocked manifold for vacuum. That's the one where all the vacuum pipes for turbo etc branch off the main fat vacuum line. It sits under the intake manifold on the right as you look at engine from the front. I had to insert a pin down each hole, at the bottom of each hole was a further tiny pin hole that I poked. Managed to get all my vacuum pressure back. Also replaced all the lines as was plagued with leaks.
That wastegate arm seems mega stiff but with normal vacuum it works just fine.

If you need acuator best bet is find a knacked turbo from somewhere online or breaker. You can un bolt the actuator.
Awesome and thank you for the feedback. Yes, got kind of the opposite problem, have new replacement turbo but doesn't have the actuator on it. I'd like to either reuse original/or replace with another from breaker as this has about 180k on it...it doesn't look special and just simple bolt on/off, but wasn't sure if had to be matched or not (well i've been told 'not', but wanted to make sure)
Old 11-20-2020, 11:57 AM
New Members

If the one you have is set as is was removed should be fine. Only issue you will have is if the rod length has been adjusted when removed. Then you'd have to find the spec for movement length or thread length and set it correctly. If you have dis you can cycle it once installed and check the movement and I'd have thought check if its opening and closing correctly
jinsta (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 01:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rob Michie
If the one you have is set as is was removed should be fine. Only issue you will have is if the rod length has been adjusted when removed. Then you'd have to find the spec for movement length or thread length and set it correctly. If you have dis you can cycle it once installed and check the movement and I'd have thought check if its opening and closing correctly
Excellent, thanks!