E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Wagon or sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beldredge' post='322661' date='Aug 15 2006, 04:58 AM
Alright - maybe that's a pretty silly question, 'cause I suppose most buyers just know that they either want the sedan or wagon. But I'm really struggling with it, and I may be placing my order this week.

So, aesthetically, I like the looks of the sedan better than the wagon. But I'm not at all opposed to wagons, and definitely like the E61. We have two young boys, ages 1 and 3, and since this is going to be a long-term car, I'm wondering if the wagon will be more useful in the future, as the boys get into soccer, hockey, etc.

Now, my wife drives an MDX, and will probably always have some sort of mid-size SUV, so that fits the bill of the primary family hauler well. But, as two working parents, we share kid-transport duties everyday, which is exactly why I'm looking to replace my car with a larger one.

The trunk on the sedan seems pretty large to me, with a nice big opening to fit stuff through. So, if the real "usefulness" of the wagon cargo area is only marginally better than the sedan's trunk, I'd just as soon get the sedan, and save a couple grand to boot.

Any input?

Thanks - hoping to "join the club" soon, if I can just make up my mind.
In May I did a trip from London to the South of France in the saloon (sedan ) with my girlfriend and her ten year old daughter. There was tons of room in the boot (trunk ) even with all the paraphenalia women like to cart around (especially if they're going to upmarket places - something to do with being better dressed and made-up than the competition, I believe ). I awlays insist that there is nothing carried in the cabin apart from the people on trips like this due to the prying eyes of thieves en route . On the way back we picked up a case or two of wine - and there was room for that in the boot too.

For everyday use on the school run or sports run there is plenty of room in the boot. If your wife has an SUV the the dilemma is automagically solved - you buy yourself the saloon and for over-capacity trips she drives and you sit in front of the TV with a beer or three
Old 08-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

These are all personal choices, sedan or wagon, what colour? etc. etc.

I always go for the touring as I see so many sedans on the road everyday I just prefer it being a little different, I have seen probably 100 5 series sedans around London over the last 2 days and only saw 3 other tourings, and they were all SE tourings too, no M-Tech kit on them.

Go with the colour you like, if I were choosing again I think I would have to have another carbonblack, or maybe rubyblack this time with contrasting dark red leather seats and door cards. I absolutely adored silver grey when it came out 4 years ago, but starting to get bored with it now, the steel grey is nice but it was dropped over here a couple of years ago, but I would like that.
Interiors I would have are Black or Amathyst from the non Individual range, grey to me looks miserable on anything but the sunniest of days (and it really shows the dirt), beige is......well........beige, plus there is a radio presenter in the UK and there is a long running joke about his life and all the people around him is now filled with beige as they have reached the age of 60, so I just couldn't have it now, would be ok if the carpets and dash were black with contrasting seats, but all beige is a little too pipe and slippers for me.

But just buy what you like, the best way.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

I drive an E60 and also an X5 so I've got all bases covered you'd think? Today I took the E60 in for warranty issue and my dealer gave me an 06 5 series wagon as a loaner, very cool. I liked the car, but not as much as my 550i or for that matter the X5. IMO the sedan drives better and will out handle the wagon, and since you already have an SUV in the house no need for wagon.

Either way you will wind up with a great ride, good luck
Old 08-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='323247' date='Aug 16 2006, 07:36 PM
Must the be global warming. White suits a sunny climate and looks terrible in European winter.

In the UK You only see white tradesmen's "vans" - and, here, their drivers ("white van man") have a bad rep.

ABC
In Germany white was traditionally a colour reserved for company cars for sales reps so was rarely ordered by individual buyers. In Japan on the other hand it's considered the most luxurious colour you can get.

I literally cannot remember the last time I saw a luxury sedan in white in Non Mediterranean Europe.

--
Przemek
Old 08-23-2006, 07:03 AM
Members

I had the same dilemma. 10 week old baby and a 3 year old daughter. My heart wanted a sedan, my head told me wagon.

The heart won. The wagon is a little noisier at motorway speeds (where I spend most of my time), and the E60 doesn't exactly have a small boot (trunk).

We've not had any problems yet, and things will get even easier once we ditch the pushchair and travel cot.

My fallback argument to justify the heart overruling the head was that if you run out of space occasionaly, you can always stick a roof box on the E60, but you can never remove the extended bump of the E61.

caveat: we have a second car with fold down seats that I can use for carrying big stuff / rubbish to the tip. If we didn't, I'd have got the E61 and looked for every excuse possible to avoid taking rubbish to the tip.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

in a wagon you can sleep with your spouse, so huge... when it is tuned look nice I opted sedan as it is more classy, but have seen some nice wagons, it is only matter of taste, only buy the one you like most so you may never regret it. (sedan is huge enough for 1-2 kids that is what we took into concideration, thou' not yet have kids)
Old 08-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Members

Other points to consider:

Wagon has load compensating suspension as standard, giving excellent handling even when fully loaded. Not an option on sedan. If cycling is your bag, then this is a massive advantage - 4 bikes on top, with 2 adults + 2 kids inside The low height of e61/e60 makes it better for top-loading bikes than SUV / MPV etc

Wagon has roof rails - again, more versatile if roof transportation is required.

No panoramic sunroof option on sedan - keep kids happy

I must admit, it would be my choice to have the option of taking the E61 with the loads / kids / bikes etc than to leave such a great vehicle at home.

The Touring is not considered to be a "Wagon" in Europe, as together with the Audi Avant, they are seen as more a lifestyle option. This is probably because they're no where near as practical as a Vovlo or MB wagon, but have enhanced styling/performance.

The sedan by contrast can actually be a bit of a "boardroom bore" in standard trim, evidenced by how much consideration is given to shodding them with upgraded wheels.

As you've probably guessed I have an E61, 3 cycle-mad kids and a dog. In this case the decision was easy. With 2 kids (no bikes) and no dog, I'd probably spend hours searching through the options list for the right rims to compliment the Sedan

Paint - personal choice, but IMHO the white just levels the BM in the US to look like most other "posh" sedans The car's lines are highlighted much better by either the silvers or blacks etc

I'm sure whether you go for sedan or wagon, you'll be very happy with your decision