E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

USB not working properly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 -14
Arrow

Before taking delivery I read all threads about the 6FL USB and its functionality, so I thought when starting to use it I would be in the safe. No problems here!

Right.
Turns out that machine beats man after all... ; after copying songs from iTunes to my USB stick I happily started the car and thought everything was OK. But I have two problems

1. Each song is displayed in duplicate
"Song 1"
"_Song 1" (cannot play)
"Song 2
"_Song 2" (cannot play
and so on.

This makes a long list even longer and is very annoying! Anyone knows why?

2. If I listen to a song via the USB stick, turn off the car and then turn it on again the radio starts and not the USB stick.

I know there is an issue with iPod connection when not having an "official" cable - but that cannot be the case here surely?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='448932' date='Jul 17 2007, 09:58 AM
Before taking delivery I read all threads about the 6FL USB and its functionality, so I thought when starting to use it I would be in the safe. No problems here!

Right.
Turns out that machine beats man after all... ; after copying songs from iTunes to my USB stick I happily started the car and thought everything was OK. But I have two problems

1. Each song is displayed in duplicate
"Song 1"
"_Song 1" (cannot play)
"Song 2
"_Song 2" (cannot play
and so on.

This makes a long list even longer and is very annoying! Anyone knows why?

2. If I listen to a song via the USB stick, turn off the car and then turn it on again the radio starts and not the USB stick.

I know there is an issue with iPod connection when not having an "official" cable - but that cannot be the case here surely?
1. You used a Mac to copy over the songs, right? OS X puts those _<songname> files on the stick. Here's a link to Apple Info on ._ files. I'm not sure what you can do about it other than delete the files off the USB drive when you are finished copying the files over.

2. I had this happen as well. Not sure why this is. I've also noticed that the stereo starts in different modes depending on the key used. For instance, I drive the car somewhere, we stop, and then we drive off but the car was unlocked using my wife's key via comfort access. Now when the car starts, the radio is on as opposed to the ipod which was playing when the engine was turned off.

We also had the stereo freeze on us over the weekend. It was loading info from the ipod but all the controls to the stereo were inoperative. I could go to other sections via iDrive, but whenever I selected Entertainment, I couldn't select a different source and the FM/AM and mode buttons didn't work as well. Once we stopped the engine and started again, everything started working again. Gotta love technology!

So basically, I'm saying "me too." I wish I had more info to help you.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Thanks poeka!

1. Yep, I'm using OS X. But the "funny" thing is that I cannot see the "forked" files on the USB while using my Mac. I suppose I coud delete them using a PC, but that would mean a lot of administrative hustle evertime I used the USB so...

2. Strange this. I used it today - and this time is continued with USB after engine shut off... Technology!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:57 AM
Members

My Ride: soon 520d touring delivery week26 Black with black dakota lether M-sport xenon big climat towhitch elec,trunkdoor hifispeakers usb/mp3 option ext,int,light isofix comfortseats

Mine works fine with Usb-stick and with Ipod 4gb Nano with the Bmw cable!
Freezed up once but did just restart the engine and it was OK!
Using PC to put mp3 on the stick
Old 07-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My USB stick works great too. One thing I can't remember is what I need to do to have some playlists show up on the car. I think I remember reading here what I need to do but I haven't had much time to search for it yet.

Anyone remember?
Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Hi Rudy,

your?re not looking for Cobradavs USB Thread?

Matts
Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Matts' post='449291' date='Jul 18 2007, 12:20 PM
Hi Rudy,

your?re not looking for Cobradavs USB Thread?

Matts
Kind of...I saw that thread this morning but I didn't notice until now the line that states the playlists have to be in "M3U format".

Does anyone know a way to create a playlist in M3U format? I don't use iTunes (much) -- I just have a bunch of MP3 files copied to a USB stick (placed in folders for artist and album -- even though I don't think I need to do that anymore.)
Old 07-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I heard this is good M3U Maker 1.0

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='449388' date='Jul 18 2007, 04:45 PM
Kind of...I saw that thread this morning but I didn't notice until now the line that states the playlists have to be in "M3U format".

Does anyone know a way to create a playlist in M3U format? I don't use iTunes (much) -- I just have a bunch of MP3 files copied to a USB stick (placed in folders for artist and album -- even though I don't think I need to do that anymore.)
Old 07-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='449249' date='Jul 18 2007, 06:25 AM
Thanks poeka!

1. Yep, I'm using OS X. But the "funny" thing is that I cannot see the "forked" files on the USB while using my Mac. I suppose I coud delete them using a PC, but that would mean a lot of administrative hustle evertime I used the USB so...
If you want to delete these files on your mac, use Terminal.

1. "cd /Volumes/<name of usb stick>/..." the "..." means where ever you copied your audio files.
2. "ls -a" should list all files and "invisible" ones, i.e. files that begin with ".".
3. "rm <files>"

Example:

1. "cd /Volumes/MyUSBStick/Music/"
2. "ls -a"

._BBC_Beethoven_9.mp3
BBC_Beethoven_9.mp3

3. "rm ._BBC_Beethoven_9.mp3"

Wait, I just found an alternative. Try muCommander.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='449388' date='Jul 18 2007, 11:45 PM

If you're a WindowsXP user, you can create playlists in M3U format directly from Windows Mediaplayer!
Just add songs to the mediaplayer an select save playlist - select "m3u" as format of playlist file.

Quick Reply: USB not working properly?