E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

unluck 520d

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before first 700 Kms rear planetary has broken: 1 week to replace it, since BMW central store hadn't it.
Before 7000 Km, steering angle sensor has blown: an OBC message inviting to proceed at moderate speed because of stability program switched off.
At that time I was queued with my car and driving at a very low speed, when the OBC display light on with a new message "ELV locked!" that appears only when you switch on your car and the steering wheel is locked, but the car was still on and running.
After a few kilometers I was going off the highway when I saw the headlights beam reflected on the new-jersey and that light were turning itself randomly.
Worst of all when I drove the car around 50 Km/h engine was not smooth at all: rude and like a slight push-pull, very disappointing; consumption lies around to 7.7 Litres/100 Km (read 36.6 UK mpg) in the first 17500 Kms (real 10500 miles).
It took near 4 weeks with car stopped at the dealer to replace the parts that nobody had it at that time (see this forum) and to re-program the whole car logic.
When I took the car back I had a lot of internal noises (like cracking plastic parts) from the steering column, the dashboard and the safety belts rattling: dealer told me it was due to plastic dilatations when the inside temperature is very hot and the aircon blows fresh air.
After complaining again, dealer took again my car back and done some works on it, comprised reprogram again engine software, in order to make it work correctly: when I get my car back engine behaviour was the same and new noises were audible.
Dealer sentenced that this were because of door seals (nobody knows why this noise raised up after collected my car from the service) so he has ordered a new kit for the whole 4-doors.
Well... it took "only" 1 month waiting, door seals came and my car was recovered again for 5 days, to keep those seals changed and for reprogramming again the engine; the car after only 1 hour when I left there was under electronic testing and it has been there for all the time... took back car friday 24/11 and: surprise!
1 - Engine goes as usual (bleach !) didn't improve it at all
2 - My bluetooth phone interface original BMW is now off: there is no bluetooth menu anymore so I cannot switch it on !
3 - I'll have to return back the car again to make changing a "CCC" interface, so it was told me that when such interface will be changed a new reprogram on the engine will turn back my car like new.

I believe it no more. :thumbsdown:
Is this a bad-born car or this is the new BMW quality standard ?
I am tired and want to ask BMW to get back this car, it's excessive to have this car stopped for service for around 2 months since end of march 2006, when I took it!

If you were in me what will you do ?

cheers
Old 11-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

Sorry to hear about all your troubles.

Some of the issues you mention sound familiar and 'solutions' can be found on this forum (e.g. door seals, re-programming etc.).

You seem to be struck by a number of issues at once which is particuarly frustrating. However, reading your story it seems to me that your dealer is not very clever or helpful to you. If I were in your shoes I would check if there is another dealer near to where you live that could be more pro-active sorting out the problems with your car.

Regarding the engine - are you sure your car is different from others equiped with the same engine ? At the risk of sounding silly here - I've had petrol engine BMWs for many years and when I test drove a diesel one i could have sworn there was something wrong with it. Actually it was perfectly okay but my perception of it was different.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Members

Hi. Maybe my experience will help you feel better at least insofar to let you know your'e not alone. My list of woes with my brand new 530D in 15 months and 7,300 miles have been- in chronological order beginning within a week of ownership and thus far ending last week - are;

1. Persistent banging from the scuttle. Cured by dealer at first time of asking.
2. Noisy door seals. Has been in twice - the first time the front seals were replaced. When it re-appeared months later it was again cured but I 'm not sure what they did.
3. Rattling sunroof. Replaced.
4. Rattling roof lining. Started after the sunroof replacement. Needed two attempts to repair plus a wait for replacement locating hooks.
5. Engine management system malfunction. Resulted in failure to rev beyond 3500 rpm. Was dangerous at times.
6. Luggage cover reluctant to retract. Had never functioned consistently, and was in the end replaced.
7. Flat battery resulting in car being immobilised. Battery went from full to drained within 7 or 8 hours of switching off, resulting in Emergency Assist having to be called out. Occurred 3 times before being identified as a problem related to the tailgate operation.

This is my 6th BMW. I've loved them all but have never had one like this. Deeply disappointing.

Mike.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by e61alex' post='361125' date='Nov 27 2006, 07:37 PM
Is this a bad-born car or this is the new BMW quality standard ?
I am tired and want to ask BMW to get back this car, it's excessive to have this car stopped for service for around 2 months since end of march 2006, when I took it!

If you were in me what will you do ?

cheers
This level of problems is not normal, especially not from BMW. In 7 months / 37000KM with my 520d I have only had an issue with the sunroof seals, which were replaced and everything fine since then.

I go with what The Hollies wrote above, try your luck with another dealer. If that doesn't help, you may try to simply get the car replaced, but no idea how guarantee works in that extreme case.

Sorry to hear your having such a tough time with your ride. Good luck getting it sorted...
Old 01-30-2007, 04:21 AM
Members

The 520d I drive is not mine, I've rented it: I tried many times to contact renting company to solve these problems but I had no replies at all.
I gave all the papers to my lawyer and he sent a letter to the company, asking them to break the contract and telling that I'd stop to pay for the car:
1 1/2 month after that still no answer come; they are issuing monthly invoices like nothing has happened.
Tomorrow I'll get back the car to the dealer and I will go to any other car to rent.
Ah, in the meanwhile trunk shock absorbers have lost some oil, AUX port is missing on I-drive alike cd-changer and bt phone is still unavailable, like no bt interface onboard...

Deeply disappointed for both dealer and renting company behaviour and for bmw quality.
:thumbsdown:

-----------------
520d touring Futura silver grey truffle brown leather, bt interface, back & front camera
Old 01-31-2007, 12:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by e61alex' post='385316' date='Jan 30 2007, 02:21 PM
The 520d I drive is not mine, I've rented it: I tried many times to contact renting company to solve these problems but I had no replies at all.
I gave all the papers to my lawyer and he sent a letter to the company, asking them to break the contract and telling that I'd stop to pay for the car:
1 1/2 month after that still no answer come; they are issuing monthly invoices like nothing has happened.
Tomorrow I'll get back the car to the dealer and I will go to any other car to rent.
Ah, in the meanwhile trunk shock absorbers have lost some oil, AUX port is missing on I-drive alike cd-changer and bt phone is still unavailable, like no bt interface onboard...

Deeply disappointed for both dealer and renting company behaviour and for bmw quality.
:thumbsdown:

-----------------
520d touring Futura silver grey truffle brown leather, bt interface, back & front camera
Well hope the legal route works out for you - good luck.

On a side note, what is "Futura silver" - Is that an Individual colour or a country specific name for a standard colour?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

I can only agree to the advice on changing dealer. There was one case in Sweden where a E90 had a lot of electronical problems - finally BMW sent it back to Munich and the dealer ordered him a new car with extensive discount.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='385734' date='Jan 31 2007, 10:07 AM
Well hope the legal route works out for you - good luck.

On a side note, what is "Futura silver" - Is that an Individual colour or a country specific name for a standard colour?
well,
colour is silver gray (silbergrau in german) and Futura is one of three versions are sold in Italy:
Eletta is the less-gadgeted version & the most cheaper one
Attiva is th most sport-gadgeted version & the middle-cheaper
Futura is the most "confort" version (sinee 17' rims & runflat are not that comfort - both for bottom and ears) & the most expensive

cheers,
Alex
Old 02-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by e61alex' post='386233' date='Feb 1 2007, 01:40 PM
well,
colour is silver gray (silbergrau in german) and Futura is one of three versions are sold in Italy:
Eletta is the less-gadgeted version & the most cheaper one
Attiva is th most sport-gadgeted version & the middle-cheaper
Futura is the most "confort" version (sinee 17' rims & runflat are not that comfort - both for bottom and ears) & the most expensive

cheers,
Alex
Interesting to hear how packages are done in Italy. I believe in the UK they have standard, SE and Sport - which kind of matches what you have. In Germany I have only heard of "large customer" packages, which are focussed on packages for business / company car users. Other than that it's simply a matter of ordering options off of the standard list in the car configurator.