E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

UK/EU: Travelling abroad and headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've checked both my English and German manuals but can not find reference to this feature. I have a MY2008, E61 with Xenon's, Adaptive and high beam assist.

Does someone know if it possible and if so how. Is it something I can do while waiting for a eurotunnel, or should I do it before setting off.

Cheers

Greg
Old 09-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Originally Posted by GregW' post='476233' date='Sep 30 2007, 10:55 PM
I've checked both my English and German manuals but can not find reference to this feature. I have a MY2008, E61 with Xenon's, Adaptive and high beam assist.

Does someone know if it possible and if so how. Is it something I can do while waiting for a eurotunnel, or should I do it before setting off.

Cheers

Greg
Greg

You don't (can't) do anything other than not use your headlights on auto, therefore disabling adaptive lights.

That way the beam is spread equally across the road.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

If I recall correctly, there is an adjustment lever on the lights of the LCI cars to switch between driving on the left and driving on the right. There was a thread on here about a month ago, but I cannot for the life of me find it at the moment. You may want to do a search. Does not apply to pre-LCI, though.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d SE Touring (end Sept 06) Silver Grey; Black Dakota/Aluminium; Start/Stop button, Rear Console Aux In, Bluetooth with Telematics and Cradle, Professional Nav, Professional Radio/MP3 CD with with Hi-Fi Speaker Upgrade and 6-CD changer; Extended Voice Control; Sport Seats; Advanced AirCon; Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights; Headlight wash; Electric/folding door mirrors; auto-dimming mirrors; PDC; Titanium Silver Z4 3.0 auto

Originally Posted by MacSid' post='476371' date='Oct 1 2007, 03:35 AM
If I recall correctly, there is an adjustment lever on the lights of the LCI cars to switch between driving on the left and driving on the right. There was a thread on here about a month ago, but I cannot for the life of me find it at the moment. You may want to do a search. Does not apply to pre-LCI, though.

I have a pre LCI E61 (Sept 2006) and it has this feature, in fact so did my E39 528 touring.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Members

Thakns for the ideas. I think I found the thread http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...nt+lever+lights but unfortunately it refers to cars with regular headlights.

I've had a good look in the engine bay/lights and can't find any obvious adjustments. What I'll do it drop by the dealer when I have some spare time and see of one of the service techs knows.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

GregW,

On cars with Xenon's there is usually a lever on the top of each headlight unit so that you can switch between LH and RH Drive. I have no experience with LCi's, but certainly earlier E60's, as well as E46's E39's etc all have the lever with Xenon's. Ordinary lights have to be taped over.

Mike
Old 10-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='476805' date='Oct 2 2007, 02:03 PM
GregW,

On cars with Xenon's there is usually a lever on the top of each headlight unit so that you can switch between LH and RH Drive. I have no experience with LCi's, but certainly earlier E60's, as well as E46's E39's etc all have the lever with Xenon's. Ordinary lights have to be taped over.

Mike
Thanks for the input Mike. I've had another good look and decided to attach a photo. I've removed all 3 inspection covers but still can't find a lever.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

GregW,

I am separated from my car by about 600 miles, so this is from memory:

On your photo, almost in the centre is a circular "knob" (about 3 or 4 cm in diameter??). IIRC, the tab on this knob is capable of being rotated 180 degrees. Adjacent to the tab there is an L and an R. Rotate this to suit whichever side of the road you are (supposed to be) driving on.

I am subject to correction on this, but I do know that the method of operation is in my Owners Handbook, but I won't get to see that for another week.

Anyone else confirm this please??

Mike
Old 10-03-2007, 04:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d SE Touring (end Sept 06) Silver Grey; Black Dakota/Aluminium; Start/Stop button, Rear Console Aux In, Bluetooth with Telematics and Cradle, Professional Nav, Professional Radio/MP3 CD with with Hi-Fi Speaker Upgrade and 6-CD changer; Extended Voice Control; Sport Seats; Advanced AirCon; Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights; Headlight wash; Electric/folding door mirrors; auto-dimming mirrors; PDC; Titanium Silver Z4 3.0 auto

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='477315' date='Oct 3 2007, 01:24 AM
GregW,

I am separated from my car by about 600 miles, so this is from memory:

On your photo, almost in the centre is a circular "knob" (about 3 or 4 cm in diameter??). IIRC, the tab on this knob is capable of being rotated 180 degrees. Adjacent to the tab there is an L and an R. Rotate this to suit whichever side of the road you are (supposed to be) driving on.

I am subject to correction on this, but I do know that the method of operation is in my Owners Handbook, but I won't get to see that for another week.

Anyone else confirm this please??

Mike
The circular "knob" that Mike refers to is the cover for the lever.

See attached pdf for the instructions

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
doc20071003124856.pdf (671.2 KB, 717 views)
Old 10-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sg56535d' post='477374' date='Oct 3 2007, 02:36 PM
The circular "knob" that Mike refers to is the cover for the lever.

See attached pdf for the instructions

David
Thanks a lot everyone. Got it sorted now. Seeing it in the manual really made all the difference.

I guess because mine's an international English and not UK specifric manual I didn't get that section.

Quick Reply: UK/EU: Travelling abroad and headlight adjustment