5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E61 Touring Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/)
-   -   UK/EU: Travelling abroad and headlight adjustment (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/uk-eu-travelling-abroad-headlight-adjustment-45443/)

GregW 09-30-2007 01:55 PM

I've checked both my English and German manuals but can not find reference to this feature. I have a MY2008, E61 with Xenon's, Adaptive and high beam assist.

Does someone know if it possible and if so how. Is it something I can do while waiting for a eurotunnel, or should I do it before setting off.

Cheers

Greg

mogsyman 09-30-2007 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by GregW' post='476233' date='Sep 30 2007, 10:55 PM
I've checked both my English and German manuals but can not find reference to this feature. I have a MY2008, E61 with Xenon's, Adaptive and high beam assist.

Does someone know if it possible and if so how. Is it something I can do while waiting for a eurotunnel, or should I do it before setting off.

Cheers

Greg

Greg

You don't (can't) do anything other than not use your headlights on auto, therefore disabling adaptive lights.

That way the beam is spread equally across the road.

MacSid 10-01-2007 12:35 AM

If I recall correctly, there is an adjustment lever on the lights of the LCI cars to switch between driving on the left and driving on the right. There was a thread on here about a month ago, but I cannot for the life of me find it at the moment. You may want to do a search. Does not apply to pre-LCI, though.

sg56535d 10-01-2007 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by MacSid' post='476371' date='Oct 1 2007, 03:35 AM
If I recall correctly, there is an adjustment lever on the lights of the LCI cars to switch between driving on the left and driving on the right. There was a thread on here about a month ago, but I cannot for the life of me find it at the moment. You may want to do a search. Does not apply to pre-LCI, though.

I have a pre LCI E61 (Sept 2006) and it has this feature, in fact so did my E39 528 touring.

GregW 10-01-2007 04:09 PM

Thakns for the ideas. I think I found the thread http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...nt+lever+lights but unfortunately it refers to cars with regular headlights.

I've had a good look in the engine bay/lights and can't find any obvious adjustments. What I'll do it drop by the dealer when I have some spare time and see of one of the service techs knows.

AlwynMike 10-02-2007 04:03 AM

GregW,

On cars with Xenon's there is usually a lever on the top of each headlight unit so that you can switch between LH and RH Drive. I have no experience with LCi's, but certainly earlier E60's, as well as E46's E39's etc all have the lever with Xenon's. Ordinary lights have to be taped over.

Mike

GregW 10-02-2007 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='476805' date='Oct 2 2007, 02:03 PM
GregW,

On cars with Xenon's there is usually a lever on the top of each headlight unit so that you can switch between LH and RH Drive. I have no experience with LCi's, but certainly earlier E60's, as well as E46's E39's etc all have the lever with Xenon's. Ordinary lights have to be taped over.

Mike

Thanks for the input Mike. I've had another good look and decided to attach a photo. I've removed all 3 inspection covers but still can't find a lever.

http://bmwz.woodford.ch/misc/BMWE61M...1M5LLU.jpg.JPG

AlwynMike 10-02-2007 10:24 PM

GregW,

I am separated from my car by about 600 miles, so this is from memory:

On your photo, almost in the centre is a circular "knob" (about 3 or 4 cm in diameter??). IIRC, the tab on this knob is capable of being rotated 180 degrees. Adjacent to the tab there is an L and an R. Rotate this to suit whichever side of the road you are (supposed to be) driving on.

I am subject to correction on this, but I do know that the method of operation is in my Owners Handbook, but I won't get to see that for another week.

Anyone else confirm this please??

Mike

sg56535d 10-03-2007 04:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='477315' date='Oct 3 2007, 01:24 AM
GregW,

I am separated from my car by about 600 miles, so this is from memory:

On your photo, almost in the centre is a circular "knob" (about 3 or 4 cm in diameter??). IIRC, the tab on this knob is capable of being rotated 180 degrees. Adjacent to the tab there is an L and an R. Rotate this to suit whichever side of the road you are (supposed to be) driving on.

I am subject to correction on this, but I do know that the method of operation is in my Owners Handbook, but I won't get to see that for another week.

Anyone else confirm this please??

Mike

The circular "knob" that Mike refers to is the cover for the lever.

See attached pdf for the instructions

David

GregW 10-03-2007 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by sg56535d' post='477374' date='Oct 3 2007, 02:36 PM
The circular "knob" that Mike refers to is the cover for the lever.

See attached pdf for the instructions

David

Thanks a lot everyone. Got it sorted now. Seeing it in the manual really made all the difference.

I guess because mine's an international English and not UK specifric manual I didn't get that section.