E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

trunk lights switch off

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I have taken my car for service last week where they fitted the latest version of i-drive software, I have a strange bug.
The lighting in the trunk switches on when I open it (so far so good), but switches off immediately after .
When I use the button on the remote again to open the tailgate, the light swithches on and off immediately again.

Anybody had this problem before??
Old 07-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dennish' post='609562' date='Jun 25 2008, 08:53 AM
Since I have taken my car for service last week where they fitted the latest version of i-drive software, I have a strange bug.
The lighting in the trunk switches on when I open it (so far so good), but switches off immediately after .
When I use the button on the remote again to open the tailgate, the light swithches on and off immediately again.

Anybody had this problem before??
Hmm, interesting, mine's been in for some warranty work a few times since new (Sep 07 up till June 08) and has been reprogrammed twice.

We've just had a baby and now I find myself in the boot / trunk regularly and noticed I have exactly the same problem that you do. I find that either pressing the tailgate release button or the unlock button causes the boot light to come on again, but like you say it stays on for like 1 second which is useless. I can't say for sure if it was ok before any reprogramming as I didn't really venture into the boot much!

I have a saloon though, whereas I note yours is a touring model... Have you had any success with resolving the problem? I'll be getting in touch with the dealer about this shortly, but since my wife has just had a cesarian I have other priorities at the minute!

Cheers

Barry

PS: my car was programmed with Progman v29.2 on it's last visit.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bardel' post='618273' date='Jul 7 2008, 11:33 PM
Hmm, interesting, mine's been in for some warranty work a few times since new (Sep 07 up till June 08) and has been reprogrammed twice.

We've just had a baby and now I find myself in the boot / trunk regularly and noticed I have exactly the same problem that you do. I find that either pressing the tailgate release button or the unlock button causes the boot light to come on again, but like you say it stays on for like 1 second which is useless. I can't say for sure if it was ok before any reprogramming as I didn't really venture into the boot much!

I have a saloon though, whereas I note yours is a touring model... Have you had any success with resolving the problem? I'll be getting in touch with the dealer about this shortly, but since my wife has just had a cesarian I have other priorities at the minute!

Cheers

Barry

PS: my car was programmed with Progman v29.2 on it's last visit.
Hi Barry,

Thank God, I am not the only one. . I have not been succesfull in finding a solution yet, but will be contacting my dealer this week. Mine was just fine before reprogramming, so something must have gone wrong there or (hopefully) it's just a wrong setting.
Once I find the solution, I will post it here. If you have already resolved it, please let me know !.

THX

Dennis
Old 07-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport Touring Sport Auto, Sophisto Grey II, Pro Nav, BT and voice control, USB (6FL), Cream/Black leather, folding mirrors, heated seats, Privacy glass, 18" (with Runflats), 2011/61 Plate (Dec 11)

Hiya,

Just checked my boot/trunk for you (I have a touring) and my light stays on - not sure what s/w version I have (only just got the car) - how do I find out?

Cheers,
Slime.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Slime' post='624727' date='Jul 15 2008, 09:16 PM
Hiya,

Just checked my boot/trunk for you (I have a touring) and my light stays on - not sure what s/w version I have (only just got the car) - how do I find out?

Cheers,
Slime.

I'm pretty sure you can't look this up in the idrive so I made a point of asking the dealer when they reprogrammed the car. Thanks for checking yours too.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bardel' post='625347' date='Jul 16 2008, 01:34 PM
I'm pretty sure you can't look this up in the idrive so I made a point of asking the dealer when they reprogrammed the car. Thanks for checking yours too.
I went to my dealer this week and they were unable to trace the defect. They had never seen it before .
I need to bring my car to them at the end of August again and they will go through the entire electric wiring to find the problem (or so they say ).
Until then, my luggage stays in the dark :thumbsdown:

Dennis
Old 08-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Members

Been to the dealers to go through a list of items which I'm not totally happy about with the car (mostly since it was in for programming after the TCU was changed). The car is going in or 1st September, they have booked me a loaner for up to 4 days!!! Most likely will be 2 days though as they are sure it's going to need programming again.

I do have some more information though...

In addition to the boot light only staying on one second, I have also reported that my interior map lights are not working and also the vanity mirror lights are not functioning either. Like the boot light, they also function for a mere 1 second upon the press of the unlock button on the key fob. Does your's do this?

The dealer beleives that the problem could be related to the change of the TCU as this is supposed to control some auxillary circuits (interior lighting possibly) or that the programming for it is not entirely correct. I mentioned that I orderd the extended interior lighting package with the car and maybe this wasn't allowed for when it was reprogrammed?

Will update you after the dealers had the car to fix my list!

Cheers

Barry
Old 08-28-2008, 03:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bardel' post='655776' date='Aug 27 2008, 05:49 PM
Been to the dealers to go through a list of items which I'm not totally happy about with the car (mostly since it was in for programming after the TCU was changed). The car is going in or 1st September, they have booked me a loaner for up to 4 days!!! Most likely will be 2 days though as they are sure it's going to need programming again.

I do have some more information though...

In addition to the boot light only staying on one second, I have also reported that my interior map lights are not working and also the vanity mirror lights are not functioning either. Like the boot light, they also function for a mere 1 second upon the press of the unlock button on the key fob. Does your's do this?

The dealer beleives that the problem could be related to the change of the TCU as this is supposed to control some auxillary circuits (interior lighting possibly) or that the programming for it is not entirely correct. I mentioned that I orderd the extended interior lighting package with the car and maybe this wasn't allowed for when it was reprogrammed?

Will update you after the dealers had the car to fix my list!

Cheers

Barry
I have the same problem with interior and boot lights following i-drive software upgrade.
Will be interested on how you get on since software upgrade was made within the warranty period which expired last month.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by dennish' post='627321
...or that the programming for it is not entirely correct.
Exactly.

The lights are programmed to go off after a more reasonable time -- it really seems as if there's a software bug (no surprise here, right?) that is causing the car to think it's time to turn the lights off a bit earlier than it's supposed to...
Old 08-28-2008, 04:46 AM
Members

have to say that I agree this is a software issue as it only came up after the car had a new tcu and was reprogrammed.

That said the map lights and vanity mirror lights are not time delayed, they should be operated via the switch. Hopefully they'll get it sorted.

Quick Reply: trunk lights switch off