E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Touring rear suspension failures

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

Mine is still occasionally showing "Suspension Control System Fault" or "Suspension Control System Failure", and the pump can be heard running and the back is up. The warning goes away on stopping and restarting. The car is still due to go in for this and other work sometime as reported earlier, in February. Will report further.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Alright so I went to the service with the "Level Control Fault" right after the pump replacement and they said the pump has gone again so they will replace it next week.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:54 AM
Members

I have discovered that it is the pipe exiting my compressor that is loose and therefore loosing air. I have bought the parts from BMW, but have just paid circa £720 for the privilage! Had l somewhere else to go l would quite happily have gone! Hey ho, so for that l have had to buy the mounting bracket, spare relay and l choose to buy the rear under cover as my foam tore away as l lowered the body work cover.

Here are some pics that l have taken.

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?gallery=29bOkD

Does anyone know of original parts suppliers other than BMW retailers? I could do with some links.

Cheers

Easyrideruk
Old 04-06-2010, 02:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Had mine fail twice now.

The first time (a little over a year ago) was the compresor. We had no warning, but my wife came back and said the car felt funny. upon parking it up, the compressor could be heard running and wouldn't stop. Eventually burned itself out and had to be replaced.

We then had the suspension level warning intermittently for about a year until it failed again.

Was originally diagnosed as the compressor again, but turned out to be a failure of one of the connectors (the smaller one). Two pins had worked loose inside and was causing it to be OK sometimes, and not at others.

Rear suspension was going up and down like a yo-yo.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Members

Touch wood! Mine has been awsome and now only at 101K is it having it's first major issue.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:32 AM
Members

Oh Dear
My 525D 2005 110K miles 1st syptoms yesterday!

Many Thanks to all who have posted here with all the advise

My question is

Where can I buy a new suitable hose? (not £80 BMW dealer part) some people have mentioned Halfords?
If so, what spec do I ask for? how long is the hose etc.

I want to buy the hose before I take the cover off so I am prepared.

Many Thanks

Sean
Old 05-14-2010, 04:11 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saxmanuk
Oh Dear
My 525D 2005 110K miles 1st syptoms yesterday!

Many Thanks to all who have posted here with all the advise

My question is

Where can I buy a new suitable hose? (not £80 BMW dealer part) some people have mentioned Halfords?
If so, what spec do I ask for? how long is the hose etc.

I want to buy the hose before I take the cover off so I am prepared.

Many Thanks

Sean
Go to www.realoem.com to identify the hose. It's usually described by inside diameter (ID). Then buy a length of silicone vacuum hose or fuel hose off Ebay. Both silicone hose and fuel hose are designed to take a vacuum and will be fine. The silicone hose should last a lot longer than the original part.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:17 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonH
Go to www.realoem.com to identify the hose. It's usually described by inside diameter (ID). Then buy a length of silicone vacuum hose or fuel hose off Ebay. Both silicone hose and fuel hose are designed to take a vacuum and will be fine. The silicone hose should last a lot longer than the original part.
Ah, just been to real OEM

My link

Number 8 is what you want but there's no info.

When I had a look it looked like fairly standard braided fuel hose, I would guess at 4mm ID. You might need to pop the cover off and snip a bit off to measure it. It's literally a 10 min job to get the cover off. The hard part is jacking the car up, but you can just about do it without jacking it up.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:35 AM
Members

Hi All,

Back again after a while. Sorry l forgopt to update you all on my repair. However long story short. I did the repair myself and it is really simple. BMW wanted to charge me £1400+ and l repaired it for £5.01!!!!

Now that l have a grip on this sytem and questions email me on vycraveiro01@o2.co.uk and l can walk you through it. I took pics but as the light was fading they are not much use.

Cheers,

DownloaderUK
Old 05-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Members

Many Thanks guys

Gonna jack up and have a look today, weather permitting in good old yorkshire!

Just to test my understanding fully, the cars systoms are:

Have noticed a compressor noise for about 5-10 seconds after parking the car. louder than normal!
This has only happened twice in the last week and have seen the iDrive warning sign only 3 times.

Does this mean I am too late to fix the fault just with the hose replacement i.e. the compressor has already gone?

Secondly, If I do find the hose to be split etc, can I cut a bit off, replace the old one until the replacement comes?

Quick Reply: Touring rear suspension failures