E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Touring rear suspension failures

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 07:46 AM
New Members

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
My Ride: E61 550i manual gear, panoramic roof, dark blue
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N62 4.8

My turn to have a "closer look" (meaning biting the bullit) at the levelling system. Bags are replaced a year ago. Error comes up almost daily now. Switching on and off works but the next day its the same story.
Its the control time error which indicated it takes to long to get it on level. Car doesn't "hang" low on either side. Each day i hear the compressor and sometimes it gets the car on level just before the threshold time. I think the threshold time is about 1 minute or so.
Next step is replacing only the valvle unit but I think i'm in for the whole unit considering it takes too long to get the car on level assuming the intake pipe and filter are not the main culprit.

reg

willem
Old 01-18-2023, 08:29 AM
New Members

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

A leak anywhere in the system could cause the problem you're seeing (or, a worn-out compressor, as well). I'd try hitting everything visible with a schpritz of soapy water to see if you can find a leak somewhere. I almost never hear my compressor run, other than when I'm lifting one end of the car or the other (always fun to drop the car all the way to the ground after having the rear lifted with a floor jack and the pneumatic system airs down totally to "correct" the stance with the rear wheels dangling). ;-)
Old 01-18-2023, 12:46 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61
"The delicate valve on one end of it is quite expensive to manufacture..."

Wankers make a hose that fails, then rip you off making you buy a new one.

Brilliant.

Greetings from M?nchen.
Originally Posted by habbyguy
A leak anywhere in the system could cause the problem you're seeing (or, a worn-out compressor, as well). I'd try hitting everything visible with a schpritz of soapy water to see if you can find a leak somewhere. I almost never hear my compressor run, other than when I'm lifting one end of the car or the other (always fun to drop the car all the way to the ground after having the rear lifted with a floor jack and the pneumatic system airs down totally to "correct" the stance with the rear wheels dangling). ;-)
Good idea...after the physical inspection,...thats what we're going to do. Probably a good idea to replace the lot. The pumps are not that expensive....
https://aerosus.nl/bmw/5-series/e61/...hoCt30QAvD_BwE
Old 01-18-2023, 12:52 PM
New Members

FWIW, you might be able to "test" the system by doing what I do when working on the back of the car... When the car has been jacked up with the rear wheels dangling for a while, even with the key off, it wants to "correct" the stance, and will eventually let all the air out of the bags. Then when I release the floor jack, the back of the car goes to the ground, and the pump starts running to bring it back up to the right height. It only takes ~30-45 seconds IIRC.

If you did this, if the car takes a lot longer, AND if both sides seem to be acting the same, I'd suspect the compressor. If one side comes up a lot faster than the other, I'd look at the plumbing on the "slow side".
Old 01-18-2023, 09:11 PM
New Members

FWIW, you might be able to "test" the system by doing what I do when working on the back of the car... When the car has been jacked up with the rear wheels dangling for a while, even with the key off, it wants to "correct" the stance, and will eventually let all the air out of the bags. Then when I release the floor jack, the back of the car goes to the ground, and the pump starts running to bring it back up to the right height. It only takes ~30-45 seconds IIRC.

If you did this, if the car takes a lot longer, AND if both sides seem to be acting the same, I'd suspect the compressor. If one side comes up a lot faster than the other, I'd look at the plumbing on the "slow side".
Yep!!...exactly what I was thinking.......well untill now I've never seen it lean to one corner but indeed...that test would proof it a lot stronger. Pump is a goner I'd say....I'll know tomorrow at around 15:00 CET.

w
Old 01-20-2023, 05:49 AM
New Members

The culprit is clear. Snapped intake hose right at the niple of the compressor. I don't know how long its already broken but the pump runs way too long an dalso on a daily basis passing the threshold times sometimes resulting in the dash notification. The fact that it kicks in each day is a sign of vavle-unit leakage. The high pressure tubes and airbags are new.
Decided the replace the compressor, the vavle-unit, intake hose and relais. The lot comes from aerosus.nl with a 2 year garantee.

w.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:17 AM
New Members

I'm lazy, so would have tried to replace just the nipple. ;-) But replacing the lot sounds like a great long-term play (you'll be done fiddling with the rear pneumatics for a long, long time).
Old 01-20-2023, 06:12 PM
New Members

I'm lazy, so would have tried to replace just the nipple. ;-) But replacing the lot sounds like a great long-term play (you'll be done fiddling with the rear pneumatics for a long, long time).
It'll last probably longer then the car itself. I'm will dissect the old one and post some pics on this thread.

reg

willem
Old 01-23-2023, 01:48 AM
New Members

Yet again another development of the story. Last friday we checked the compressor and hoses and decided to order a new set.....But...since then I got NO errors anymore and I've got only 1 explanation. The intake hose snapped while we were at it. This would mean the intake-hose WAS still connected but with a clogged up filter or so causing the compressor to take ages to get the car on level. Not sure but we cancelled the replacement for now and see how it develops. We'll replace the intake hose and filter for now.

keep you posted

w
Old 01-23-2023, 09:29 AM
New Members

That would certainly fit the symptoms, though I could also easily believe that there may have been a funky connection at one of the other points (I really don't like the "feel" of the tightening of the air line output lines - it always feels like it's barely hanging on, or is ready to break.

But hey - if it's working, don't mess with it! ;-)

Quick Reply: Touring rear suspension failures