E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

torque converter test or help with diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,
so lets see if someone can help me here.
Im thinking to do torque converter test since the cars shifting just does not seems right. Some time ago (month -2 ago) I got abs sensor error. Since here and there I get random errors did not pay much attention to it and erase error. I think ever since my car just does not shift right! it seems its taking longer to decide when to shift and there is a tiny judder here and there at about 1500 rpm when box deciding if it should shift or not. when ease the throttle a bit or actually increase throttle the judder goes and box either shift up or just stays in gear.
some error codes:

there are some old codes like pretensioners and famous air suspension pump im not bothered about just yet.
new ones are 4185 -Exhaust Gas temp-pre cat and (pre cat do they mean closer to the engine or further from the engine?)
Kombi A557 and Kombi A3C7 which i do not know what they mean - if someone can help me with these.

Brief history: car has been remaped 1st instance they mapped out DPF by mistake this resulted in blocked DPF. remaped again car runned through few regen sessions and it still does when needed.

Auto box oil and pan changed by me about year ago following instructions from ZF website preciselly. - no obvious leaks when looked on the tranny pan about month ago so assume oil level is still okay.

today when went for long run car seemed to almost brake itself, when foot off the throttle speed was decreasing faster than i think its normal i think (I could be paranoid by now) when shifted to neutral it was just nicely cruising.

so, could that be again DPF issue and once it was very clogged the normal regen its just not enough, could it be one of the ABS sensors - i read that auto boxes does depend on them, or torque converter (TC)? - someone please tell me exactly how to do the SAFE TEST on TC.

Could anybody tell me where to start?
many thanks