E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Thinking of replacing my E61

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08
Default Thinking of replacing my E61

2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S Wagon Photos and Info ? News ? Car and Driver
Old 07-04-2017, 10:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2012 F10 550i, 2001 e46 325i Sedan, 2009 e61 335xi, 1986 325i

Well My .02 is that Merc's are just a little 'odd' to me for some reason, and keep in mind you're going to have to wait ages and ages for any aftermarket tid-bits to arrive for this particular car - and even then, they'll likely be really limited due to the rarity of the car. Maybe some items from it's sedan counterpart will be suitable for the wagon (possibly suspension for example). If I were in your shoes, I'd wait until there is a used one available. Let someone else take what will surely be a $20K-plus hit on depreciation.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:09 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

That E63S is a dream come true for those that can afford it, it is beautiful in concept and execution.

I too considered replacing my E61 recently, but I couldn't find anything worth the change just yet...except for the Volvo V90...however, trunk (boot) is smaller, even smaller than their V60!

V60 was a great runner up, but it is smaller and just not as luxurious as my E61

VW Golf Sportwagen is okay, has a larger trunk than the Volvo, but the only model that offers AWD is the base and it lacks all the amenities of a fully loaded top trim that only come in FWD...and I hate of the plastic cladding on the Alltrack...and the fact that it is much taller!

I decided to see how the market reacts to the introduction of the Buick Regal Wagon and the Jaguar XF Wagon. The Buick is beautiful...but unfortunately (for me) it has all that plastic cladding (that Americans love because of it pretentious looks of off-roading cross-country.

At the end, I might end up ordering a Volvo V90 (non cross-country) in a couple of years as the Jaguar, although beautiful, is starts at a very high price.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:36 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

huge price discrepancy notwithstanding, i would trade my E61 for an AMG car without a second thought. I had the opportunity to drive a 2017 C63 for a few days and it was absolutely exhilarating. i've never been so excited to get behind the wheel of a car.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:31 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by E61FUN
Yeah, they're fun, even with slightly numb steering and notably so-so transmissions. The word is that MB addressed the latter issue.

The exterior shots of the new E63S touring seem to present a more "butch" styling than the outgoing model, which is a welcome change to me. I think they need to dial down the "prissy", even while they're aimed at boring rich folks that like to wear white tennis outfits for casual events.

Sure would be killer if BMW released a G30 M5 Touring and then brought it stateside. But their accountants would never let them. That's the utterly boring predictable side of BMW (and I expect more of that to come).

I'm mystified how the "Ultimate Driving Machine" company can release the utterly neutered i3 and i8, or the fugly 550 fastback and ignore a big fast wagon for the US market. But then I look over at their accountancy department and go, "oh... of course!" Counting beans and delivering the boring!

I guess AMG can do it. And now Volvo is trying to come back. And Buick is aiming to join in (Buick!?).

A big wagon is a such a staple thing in Germany. But I guess BMW has given up on the US market. Can't even get an Alpina snuck in. So sad. That's it... I'm selling everything... just gonna Uber from now on like a Millennial.
well said.

one thing that i've always appreciated about (most of) the AMG cars (SLS aside) is the understated styling. i think 95% of people wouldnt know the difference between a C300 and a C63 or a ML350 and an ML63. hell, my neighbors bought an E350 wagon with the AMG package and it looks very close to the E63 wagon. i always assumed this subtle styling was intentional - that MB was appealing to the small percentage of auto enthusiasts that knew and appreciated a wolf in sheep's clothing. BMW's M cars always seemed more like flashier cousins of their respective non-M counterparts. i like a car that goes fast without looking like it goes fast, if that makes sense. sure, the nissan GTR or MB SLS are fast cars, but there's no mistaking what they're made for just by looking at them. that's not my personal preference.

i dont really see the buick as a serious contender in the fast wagon space, but i'm guessing it is being made to appeal to a different buyer - maybe as a competitor to the 328 wagon, but certainly not against the AMG or M cars. the V60 polestar looks nice, although a bit like a long Ford Fiesta hatch in my opinion. i never understood why the CTS-V wagon didnt get more appreciation from american buyers - it was a true beast and I even had my eye on one for a while.

that being said, i am glad to see a resurgence of wagons in the US. I work for a German company and am over there every 6 weeks or so and have become accustomed to seeing wagons everywhere and very few crossovers or SUVs. we seem so stuck on SUVs here in the US (full disclosure - i'm guilty of this as well - my wife drives the behemoth toyota sequoia). im assuming this is largely a product of relatively cheap fuel and the resulting indifference to fuel efficiency in the early days of the SUVs. i had a jeep grand cherokee in 2004 when they were first released (some people might remember their marketing campaign of the jeep driving up a flight of stairs and through a pane of glass in some sort of symbolic gesture of what cars could now do) and it seemed like such a massive car at the time. the interior was probably no bigger than a typical wagon nowadays. fast forward 13 years - a few days ago an early-model grand cherokee was parked next to a yukon XL in a lot near my house and the jeep looked positively dwarfish next to the yukon and i was again reminded that wagons may sadly remain a niche market for a long time to come. im feeling a little nostalgic for the days as a kid riding facing backwards in a wood-paneled caprice wagon.....
Old 07-13-2017, 05:20 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

E61FUN,

What are you replacing your wagon with? In the event you do sell it.