Thinking of replacing my E61 - 5Series.net - Forums

E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
Senior Members

Default Thinking of replacing my E61

V70Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
New Members

Yeah, If the new transmission performs as they're saying it does and the steering doesn't suck, it should be a bruiser.

Yet the mbusa AMG page (under SUVs & Wagons, side scroll all the way to the right) still merely shows a front corner image of an E63 S Wagon and a smattering of specs with a red Learn More button below which just redirects back to the standard wagon configurator for an E400 4Matic. No build and price options for the E63 S AMG Wagon yet.

Dealer reps I spoke with said, "late fall/winter."

But then no stateside E61 was ever $120k+ fully-equipped like the outgoing E63 S, so other than being wagons, they are not comparable. It was just the AMG and the CTS-V duking it out. And since the new AMG will likely be more $ it had better be utter freaking magical. I even wonder if a hot wagon in the US still has a shot (even if I like them).

It's different sort of thing, I know, but I wonder whether a buyer considering the E63 S (or AMG SUVs, BMW X5M/X6M) wouldn't be considering a Tesla Model X P100D instead. Apples and oranges, but we may be approaching that ledge.
E61FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
New Members

Well My .02 is that Merc's are just a little 'odd' to me for some reason, and keep in mind you're going to have to wait ages and ages for any aftermarket tid-bits to arrive for this particular car - and even then, they'll likely be really limited due to the rarity of the car. Maybe some items from it's sedan counterpart will be suitable for the wagon (possibly suspension for example). If I were in your shoes, I'd wait until there is a used one available. Let someone else take what will surely be a $20K-plus hit on depreciation.
Paul Drace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
New Members

That E63S is a dream come true for those that can afford it, it is beautiful in concept and execution.

I too considered replacing my E61 recently, but I couldn't find anything worth the change just yet...except for the Volvo V90...however, trunk (boot) is smaller, even smaller than their V60!

V60 was a great runner up, but it is smaller and just not as luxurious as my E61

VW Golf Sportwagen is okay, has a larger trunk than the Volvo, but the only model that offers AWD is the base and it lacks all the amenities of a fully loaded top trim that only come in FWD...and I hate of the plastic cladding on the Alltrack...and the fact that it is much taller!

I decided to see how the market reacts to the introduction of the Buick Regal Wagon and the Jaguar XF Wagon. The Buick is beautiful...but unfortunately (for me) it has all that plastic cladding (that Americans love because of it pretentious looks of off-roading cross-country.

At the end, I might end up ordering a Volvo V90 (non cross-country) in a couple of years as the Jaguar, although beautiful, is starts at a very high price.
pocholin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
New Members

huge price discrepancy notwithstanding, i would trade my E61 for an AMG car without a second thought. I had the opportunity to drive a 2017 C63 for a few days and it was absolutely exhilarating. i've never been so excited to get behind the wheel of a car.
BostonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
New Members

Yeah, they're fun, even with slightly numb steering and notably so-so transmissions. The word is that MB addressed the latter issue.

The exterior shots of the new E63S touring seem to present a more "butch" styling than the outgoing model, which is a welcome change to me. I think they need to dial down the "prissy", even while they're aimed at boring rich folks that like to wear white tennis outfits for casual events.

Sure would be killer if BMW released a G30 M5 Touring and then brought it stateside. But their accountants would never let them. That's the utterly boring predictable side of BMW (and I expect more of that to come).

I'm mystified how the "Ultimate Driving Machine" company can release the utterly neutered i3 and i8, or the fugly 550 fastback and ignore a big fast wagon for the US market. But then I look over at their accountancy department and go, "oh... of course!" Counting beans and delivering the boring!

I guess AMG can do it. And now Volvo is trying to come back. And Buick is aiming to join in (Buick!?).

A big wagon is a such a staple thing in Germany. But I guess BMW has given up on the US market. Can't even get an Alpina snuck in. So sad. That's it... I'm selling everything... just gonna Uber from now on like a Millennial.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
New Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by E61FUN View Post
Yeah, they're fun, even with slightly numb steering and notably so-so transmissions. The word is that MB addressed the latter issue.

The exterior shots of the new E63S touring seem to present a more "butch" styling than the outgoing model, which is a welcome change to me. I think they need to dial down the "prissy", even while they're aimed at boring rich folks that like to wear white tennis outfits for casual events.

Sure would be killer if BMW released a G30 M5 Touring and then brought it stateside. But their accountants would never let them. That's the utterly boring predictable side of BMW (and I expect more of that to come).

I'm mystified how the "Ultimate Driving Machine" company can release the utterly neutered i3 and i8, or the fugly 550 fastback and ignore a big fast wagon for the US market. But then I look over at their accountancy department and go, "oh... of course!" Counting beans and delivering the boring!

I guess AMG can do it. And now Volvo is trying to come back. And Buick is aiming to join in (Buick!?).

A big wagon is a such a staple thing in Germany. But I guess BMW has given up on the US market. Can't even get an Alpina snuck in. So sad. That's it... I'm selling everything... just gonna Uber from now on like a Millennial.
well said.

one thing that i've always appreciated about (most of) the AMG cars (SLS aside) is the understated styling. i think 95% of people wouldnt know the difference between a C300 and a C63 or a ML350 and an ML63. hell, my neighbors bought an E350 wagon with the AMG package and it looks very close to the E63 wagon. i always assumed this subtle styling was intentional - that MB was appealing to the small percentage of auto enthusiasts that knew and appreciated a wolf in sheep's clothing. BMW's M cars always seemed more like flashier cousins of their respective non-M counterparts. i like a car that goes fast without looking like it goes fast, if that makes sense. sure, the nissan GTR or MB SLS are fast cars, but there's no mistaking what they're made for just by looking at them. that's not my personal preference.

i dont really see the buick as a serious contender in the fast wagon space, but i'm guessing it is being made to appeal to a different buyer - maybe as a competitor to the 328 wagon, but certainly not against the AMG or M cars. the V60 polestar looks nice, although a bit like a long Ford Fiesta hatch in my opinion. i never understood why the CTS-V wagon didnt get more appreciation from american buyers - it was a true beast and I even had my eye on one for a while.

that being said, i am glad to see a resurgence of wagons in the US. I work for a German company and am over there every 6 weeks or so and have become accustomed to seeing wagons everywhere and very few crossovers or SUVs. we seem so stuck on SUVs here in the US (full disclosure - i'm guilty of this as well - my wife drives the behemoth toyota sequoia). im assuming this is largely a product of relatively cheap fuel and the resulting indifference to fuel efficiency in the early days of the SUVs. i had a jeep grand cherokee in 2004 when they were first released (some people might remember their marketing campaign of the jeep driving up a flight of stairs and through a pane of glass in some sort of symbolic gesture of what cars could now do) and it seemed like such a massive car at the time. the interior was probably no bigger than a typical wagon nowadays. fast forward 13 years - a few days ago an early-model grand cherokee was parked next to a yukon XL in a lot near my house and the jeep looked positively dwarfish next to the yukon and i was again reminded that wagons may sadly remain a niche market for a long time to come. im feeling a little nostalgic for the days as a kid riding facing backwards in a wood-paneled caprice wagon.....
BostonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
New Members

E61FUN,

What are you replacing your wagon with? In the event you do sell it.
pocholin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #9
New Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
E61FUN,

What are you replacing your wagon with? In the event you do sell it.
Going to go without a wagon for now. With a company truck and a company car, I'm not in a one-car situation, so other than loving the aesthetic of my E61, it doesn't need to serve a functional wagon purpose.

It's funny that five years ago I had *one* car, a Volvo V70T wagon. If I had to have only one car, it would be a wagon. If my budget was under $50k, and I wanted newer, it would be a used BMW F31 328 on CPO (not the newer 330), which I would promptly modify. Not a huge fan of four bangers though.

A 5 series would meet my needs better (space, performance, safety), but alas, BMW leadership hasn't pulled their head out of their accountants' asses so all we see are high margin BMW SUVs. But I don't want a fake M packaged G30 wagon that I have to wring out... I would only want a full-on AWD G30-based M5 touring. Alternately, if an Alpina wagon made it stateside, I would seriously be drooling. Those are my favorite wagons ever. Talk about subtlety.

With a budget over $100k, and given that BMW has lost their way (or would it be their soul) the only choice would be the new AMG E63S. That's the first Merc wagon with exterior styling that I like. The ass end isn't too long, like the previous generation, and the roofline is a little bit "shooting brake", but not too much like the Volvo V60 (yes, BostonJon... V60 is too much Fiesta hatch). My friend who was bugging me about my wagon has now opted to purchase the first well-optioned E63S she can put her hands on. Perfect choice for her. She'll beat on the thing and leave it covered in dog hair. But at least she'll have a warranty when she breaks it. And *I* will get to ring it out!

The E61 was my sixth wagon, starting years ago with a highly-modified VW Squareback when I was barely sixteen, then a V6 Chevy Vega GT Wagon, then a Honda Accord EX, the Volvo V70T, which I traded toward a customized BMW 328iX (the first BMW I owned), and finally this BMW 535iX. I love me some wagon!

Now having driven a few M5s, I am sorta hooked. I have also had my eye on a series of Z4M coupes, and there could likely come a day when I'm compelled to snap one up. Hopefully I will find one with a dead engine the same day that I find an E90 M3 with great manual trans, perfect S65 drivetrain and a wrecked body (hint hint... fantasy swap). LoL

Last edited by E61FUN; 07-17-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: too many notes
Old 07-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #10
New Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJon View Post
i like a car that goes fast without looking like it goes fast...
I love sleepers. But even as I try to lean towards subtle, it becomes harder and harder to hide high-performance capability. You almost have to go the restomod route and hang a rust-bucket over a performance chassis. But then you have the sound to attend to. That's one reason I am having fun now with electric cars. Total sleepers. We'll be seeing more of that.

I de-badged my last F10 M5, trying to tone it down and blend-in (..."nothing to see here officer, just a plain-jane grey BMW... move it along..."). But I was constantly followed in that car. Unnerving.