E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Suspension gone AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petri
for these early models having this rubber hose.
When did they change to a better hose? Wondering if I need to get my Jun 07 checked.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61 535d

Is there any examples of cars over 4 years old that had no problems with this ???
Well, I think mine is. Production date 08/2005 no failure messages what so ever. Either no documents of any repair done. Now that I said this, I guess the suspension will break tomorrow...
Old 03-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Well - picked up the car on Sat at lunch and immediately took it out for a 60 mile drive to go and test an Audi A6 3.0TDi quattro.

While I have to say the thought of another car (that is reliable) was certainly front of mind, we actually had to leave the dealer before we could do a deal. Think it was for the best too. If this car is OK from here on in, it will be a better drive than the Audi.

Maybe the 'we're getting rid of our BMWs' was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. We'll see. Ultimately, it won't really be my decision, but the wife's.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 530xd, 2006, 231hp 4-wheel-drive, Monaco metal blue, Dakota beige leather interior, fine wood trim, extended lighting package, adaptive Headlights, headlight cleaning system, PDC, extended automatic air conditioning, ProNav, ipod connection, skibag, electric engine/interior heating, thb200 sub, 19" M6 wheels, Schmiedmann frontspoiler lip, tyre control, servotronic

Audi A6 3.0TDi quattro. :thumbsdown:

I have suspension fail sometimes, not such problems than you Yet.

But Audi, no answer for suspension problem.. believe me
Old 03-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

I can fully understand your frustration but would offer that a different brand may not be much better in the long run. Modern cars are very complicated and complex and as the manufacturers push component suppliers to lower prices long-term reliability that was once a given in a German car falls victim to a 50p connector or a 75p seal that takes a more expensive component out at the same time. On my E61 I've taken the unprecedented step (for me) of newing the BMW warranty for the peace of mind it offers when the car goes wrong.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

What I can say from driving the two back-to-back is that you feel like you're in the BMW. It felt very much like I was ON the Audi.

I ran Audis for years and this is my first BMW. All my Audis were fault free, so it's easy to see my frustration, but the car we were looking at would have been £3,500 to change to, and for the same model year. That would buy a lot of warranty.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Members

Hello

I'm from Belgium and I bought my E61 525d second hand last year.
My I-drive gives 2 different messages.
Sometimes it is: storing niveauregeling (faillure suspension)
the other time: niveauregeling uitgevallen (suspension stopped)
these translations probably are incorrect in english.

I also checked the hose and where it was connected, the rubber
had several cuts. Like a gardenhose, I cut the piece of and
with a new clip I attached the hose back again.

But I did not check the rest of the hose because my car only was not high lifted
enough. I still have the messages, but the cars tail never drops.

When driving alone the message come very very rarely, but
1 or 2 passengers and ...bingo.

The problem is, my official BMW garage only replaces the compressor
because their computer does not say the hose is bad...

A soon as I find a place to go under my car myself without somebody
watching the time, I will inspect the complete hose.

Does anybody know if the complete hose is possible to check?

Keep you posted

Jan
Old 03-19-2010, 06:44 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d

Originally Posted by Kell
Well, we've finally come to a solution/resolution.

It turns out that there are two connectors for the suspension - a big one and a small one. The small one has two pins which have worn loose. This is causing the problems with the suspension. Essentially, it's a part that would cost about thruppence ha'penny, so I'm more than a little peeved that BMW's first estimate was £3,500.

Our final bill is going to be around the £300 mark and that includes £140 for the work that was done originally. Should (fingers crossed) have the car back tomorrow/Friday.
what connectors You mean?
because i got same problem, it some times shows a mesaage that leveling system has a fault, what i find via connected service tool, there is error regarding left side suspension too long responsem, so i understand that for left side it takes more time to lift up machine.
does somebody know specification of this compressor?
because we disassembly old one, and spoke with few clever guys and they said that can made some upgrade for that compresor, if only there is this problem

thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 06:48 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Check realoem.com to be 100% but I though it was under the under tray/air management diffuser back there on the right hand side.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...23&hg=33&fg=50
Old 03-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d

Originally Posted by bigbadbull
Check realoem.com to be 100% but I though it was under the under tray/air management diffuser back there on the right hand side.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...23&hg=33&fg=50
You mean electric conectors, yes, there are two electric connectors on the compressors side, as i understand one is for switching on compressor the other one is discharge from dryer, but im not sure that there is problem with this suspension

Can You give some advise, where can i find specifications of this compressor?

Quick Reply: Suspension gone AGAIN