E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Suspension gone AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

No - no real news to report yet.

Getting daily updates which pretty much consist of "We're still waiting for BMW HQ to get back to us."
Old 03-09-2010, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Kell
Getting daily updates which pretty much consist of "We're still waiting for BMW HQ to get back to us."
Had the same with my car (different issue, though). I understand that they need to follow instructions from Munich, so right now they can only wait. I really hope they will sort this out - I mean how hard can it be?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Well something needs to happen soon as we're going to France in two weeks and two days. And I wanted to run the car for two weeks or so to make sure it was OK.

Everything's booked - tunnel, snow chains, winter tyres. Don't want to fork out for plane tickets on top of however much the car costs if it's too late. This whole thing has left an incredibly nasty taste in my mouth with regard to BMW.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:04 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

Kell

If this is taking too long I suggest you give a call to Jason at B&W in Hounslow. Not only is he an expert in Car remaps/tuning but he's hired by BMW dealers very frequently in case they don't know how to solve electrical issues (with other words: in case the BMW dealer's computer shows no faults then they're stuck. Jason knows BMW's inside out. Wouldn't hurt to give him a call.

Have a look on http://www.bwchiptune.co.uk/ or better yet in your case: http://www.bwautorepairs.co.uk/

Good luck
Old 03-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Well, we've finally come to a solution/resolution.

It turns out that there are two connectors for the suspension - a big one and a small one. The small one has two pins which have worn loose. This is causing the problems with the suspension. Essentially, it's a part that would cost about thruppence ha'penny, so I'm more than a little peeved that BMW's first estimate was £3,500.

Our final bill is going to be around the £300 mark and that includes £140 for the work that was done originally. Should (fingers crossed) have the car back tomorrow/Friday.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Glad to hear the whole situation will have a happy ending - shame about the lengthy delay.

Please post the part numbers on the invoice when you get it.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by phelix
Glad to hear the whole situation will have a happy ending - shame about the lengthy delay.

Please post the part numbers on the invoice when you get it.
unlikely I'll get part numbers as it's being donw outside the network. BMW are essentially saying that they will only supply to whole wiring loom. As far as they're concerned, they'd still want to charge me £2,500 for a job that should cost less than £100 to fix.

I can tell you this now that this car (and our Mini) will be sold this year and replaced with non-BMW cars.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 530xd, 2006, 231hp 4-wheel-drive, Monaco metal blue, Dakota beige leather interior, fine wood trim, extended lighting package, adaptive Headlights, headlight cleaning system, PDC, extended automatic air conditioning, ProNav, ipod connection, skibag, electric engine/interior heating, thb200 sub, 19" M6 wheels, Schmiedmann frontspoiler lip, tyre control, servotronic

unlikely I'll get part numbers as it's being donw outside the network. BMW are essentially saying that they will only supply to whole wiring loom. As far as they're concerned, they'd still want to charge me £2,500 for a job that should cost less than £100 to fix.

I can tell you this now that this car (and our Mini) will be sold this year and replaced with non-BMW cars.

Sorry to hear what there are happening.

True for this is that they try to charge you their own ignorance.

That really piss off but this same way of acting happened all the time.

There are big difference of 100£ or 2500£ and this 2500£ are way too much.

You have drive your car to BMW-service just trust that they have best expertise
to solve this problem.
So its not possible that they find failure wich could be handle with 100£:thumbsdown:
And if they find it like they do in this case they cant try to invoicing you
with 2500£ (It is their responsibility when be the BMW-professionals)!!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Sorry to see you go, Kell, but I would have done the same! :thumbsdown:
Old 03-12-2010, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

Wow ! that is a complex suspension I didn't realize my E61 had that....just waiting to fail. Is there any examples of cars over 4 years old that had no problems with this ???

I park my car on kerb side (so car has two wheels higher than other two - would this damage this delicate system ?

Quick Reply: Suspension gone AGAIN