E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Suspension gone AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Originally Posted by narvselius
True, it points at the hose where there still could be a leak, allowing debris to come in and ruin the pump.
Well, the plot thickens.

The car is now with BMW as they supplied the pump last year. But they can't find the fault either. THey're using some system where by the guys at Brackley can check the car remotely for problems. Popped in today for a progress report and had one the guys tell us that the car as a whole has electrical problems. Wonderful.

So, still not fixed and likely to get far worse before it gets better.

Knew I should have bought another Audi.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Car's now been with BMW for another week. They couldn't find the fault, and so connected it to the BMW tech guys in Brackley.

Upshot is that they've now sourced the problem to the connectors. The problem being that the connectors are only available as part of the wiring loom. Which is £1,300. And a 17 hour job to replace.

I reckon BMW must charge about £100 an hour - so that's a bill of £3,000 we're facing.

Not a happy bunny.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:29 AM
Senior Members

What about cleaning/repairing or replacing the connectors with used ones from a breaker? Did the workshop say anything about such possibilities?

And which connectors are these - the ones that go into the compressor, or the ones at the sensors?

These cars are getting older and such cases will become more frequent.. there must be some sort of alternative solutions, otherwise the scrapyards will be full of cars with "failed connectors" and someone will probably sue BMW for this..?
Old 03-01-2010, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

Not really sure yet. Still waiting to hear back from the tech guy whether or not the connectors are available separately. Not sure which ones they are, but as my car is only 4 1/2 years' old and was only 6 months out of warranty at the first failure, I'm more than a little peed off.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Are the connectors Corroding, or are they just worn out?

If they are Corroding there could be other issues.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

Can't say for definite, but the indie guys reckoned there was no evidence of leaking when they had the car.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Senior Members

Well, I still don't have my car back.

At the moment, BMW are still trying to find out whether the connectors are available separately or they HAVE to be bought as part of a full wiring loom. Apparently it takes 5 working days to even get a response from BMW head Office let alone then have to order the parts if they are available.

While we toyed with the idea of getting something second hand from a car that's being broken, there'd be no warranty if we went that route, and given the problems we've had with this car, the wife wants that feeling of security.

In fact, what she wants right now is just to sell it.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (born 11/04) 525i Touring: jet black, bi-xenons, sports suspension, extended air conditioning. Retrofits: hinged cubby hole, AUX-input, generic I-Drive video interface (a.k.a. xbox-e60) Warranty repairs: software update, door seals replaced, loose aluminium trim fixed. Repairs: Self-levelling compressor.

Hi,

Me too just had this "common" problem. After 65k kilometres and 5 years, the hose went bad and it ruined the compressor. New compressor needed (total worth of 1000? fix).
Dealers should fix that hose as a standard service procedure for these early models having this rubber hose.
A bit pissed about this sudden expense. Additionally I have to wait that this replacement part ordered... to get it fixed,
just my luck.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

Here's how it's looking right about now:

Old 03-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

That is how mine looked with 10 bags of rock in the back end this weekend coming home from Home Depot.

Just turned it on and me and the wife watched the back end rise up... kinda funny. I had the dealer check out the pump and lines when I had all the wiring replaced. It already had the braided one on in.

You find about any thing about the wiring yet?

Quick Reply: Suspension gone AGAIN