Sunshade under the sunroof problem - 5Series.net - Forums

E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
Members

Default Sunshade under the sunroof problem

My granddaughter pressed up on the rear corner of the retractable sunshade that hides the sunroof. Then a small white 1" long plastic piece fell out and now the 2 part sunshade is separated in the middle. Retractable sunshade now has difficulty opening and closing along with some awful noises. Any ideas how to get to the hidden side of the sunshade without causing more damage? TIA!
yeewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
New Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeewiz View Post
My granddaughter pressed up on the rear corner of the retractable sunshade that hides the sunroof. Then a small white 1" long plastic piece fell out and now the 2 part sunshade is separated in the middle. Retractable sunshade now has difficulty opening and closing along with some awful noises. Any ideas how to get to the hidden side of the sunshade without causing more damage? TIA!
unfortunately, i believe you need to remove the entire headliner to access the sunshade. the two pieces on mine (front and rear) are somehow separated (the piece connecting the two came apart i think). thankfully, the front one still works with no issues but the back one is stuck hidden in the rear of the headliner. i have only found a few documents that detail the pieces in the headliner and how they are assembled in order to fix it again. i ended up getting the sunroof tinted extremely dark and now leave the sunshade open most of the time.
BostonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
Members

thanks, unfortunately I've come to the same conclusion re removing the headliner too. You have links or sources to get to those documents that detail the parts to assemble?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
New Members

Quote:
thanks, unfortunately I've come to the same conclusion re removing the headliner too. You have links or sources to get to those documents that detail the parts to assemble?
this is what i have. realoem.com is an ok reference also.

E61 Panoramic Sunroof Repair - vent glass.pdf
E70 Panorama Glass Sunroof.pdf
Panorama Glass Sunroof E53, E61, E70, E83, E91.pdf
SI B54 04 09 Wind Noise or Water Leak From Sunroof.pdf
Old 07-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
Members

BostonJon, thanks! Looks like some helpful info in there. I'm going to have to study/ponder in depth. I found realeom barely useful due to insufficient detail. Did I miss something there?
Old 07-15-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
New Members

Quote:
BostonJon, thanks! Looks like some helpful info in there. I'm going to have to study/ponder in depth. I found realeom barely useful due to insufficient detail. Did I miss something there?
no, you didnt miss anything. i should have been more specific. realoem is good if you need to track down a specific part number that you need to order.