E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Sunroof wind noise - fixed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:37 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

Originally Posted by Lotus99
It's top secret!
They actually used to be publicly available - if you knew the web address - but I think BMW caught on too many people were reading them and going into dealers with info the dealer was supposed to know, but didn't , so they locked them up! Now, I just grab them when I see them posted as attachments. Guess people with connections still manage to get them somehow.

They used to be like this:
Code:
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bulletin_graphic_temp/B131310g.htm
So if you knew the SIB number, you could just type it in the path, and get it.
That's why I could not find any central site for TSBs
The fact they bmw locked the site is strange to me: as a user, I'd read one and go "educate" a dealer. Yes, dealer would be embarrased, but the car would be fixed.
Or, I would perform a simple TSB myself.

Well, to be fair, Acura is not making TSBs easily accessible by posting them everywhere, but I can still access them.
Thanks!
Old 07-21-2011, 05:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530D

Yet another simple fix and relatively cheap fix that brings a huge benefit and refinement!

After reading this post I ordered and replaced the seal (actually one of the cheapest BMW seals I have ever had the experience of buying) and it has made a HUGE difference to the noise reduction and general sealing of the glass roof. I even bet it reduces the amount of water that gets into the roof channels, so one less problem to worry about.

It's not until you get the old seal off (as above) that you realise the old seal is squashed and past it's effectiveness.

Thanks Stuilos!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by fletchedpair
Yet another simple fix and relatively cheap fix that brings a huge benefit and refinement!

After reading this post I ordered and replaced the seal (actually one of the cheapest BMW seals I have ever had the experience of buying) and it has made a HUGE difference to the noise reduction and general sealing of the glass roof. I even bet it reduces the amount of water that gets into the roof channels, so one less problem to worry about.

It's not until you get the old seal off (as above) that you realise the old seal is squashed and past it's effectiveness.

Thanks Stuilos!
Can you pls. tell us the model and year and mileage on your car?
Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D

My car is an E61 530D Sport, manufactured May 2005, mileage is 59,000.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

The sunroof seal part number for the E60 saloon / sedan is 54137069632.

To protect and improve the effectiveness of rubber seals, use 1Z Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege (with small foam applicator), part EIN-914805.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by fletchedpair

Thanks Stuilos!
Glad to have helped
Old 07-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Members

Hi All and thanks to the OP.

I bought the part number described as I get a fair amount of wind noise.

Removing the old one is easy, put the sun roof on tilt and you have access to the join which is at the rear of the roof. Unpick it and pull it all upwards. Most of the old adhesive came away easily if you pull it straight up.

Then, close the sunroof and without removing the sticky back to the seal, push it into place and push it flush with the roof. When youre happy, peel back the sticky back and it will remain in place.

My seal was 10 inches too long so had to be carefully cut to length. Weird why this would be.
I did see if it would all compress around but it just created kinks and didnt fit. I was mindful that door seals must never be cut and they are always the correct length but there we are.

Using the pano sunroof at this point now creats the 'anti trap alarm' that then stops all use of it and just freezes it in the tilt position giving you an error message on the dash.
That was a touch scary but its because the new seal is a lot closer fit and the the roof doesnt recognise this.

Then, with the ignition on hold the 'tilt' option for about 15 seconds, it will then go through a series of movements and then close. Keep your finger depressed throughout this. This is the sunroof reset.

I cant say Ive ever used the Pano roof as Im worried about it breaking in the open position but the quietness is a warm welcome and now I have the internal 'blind' all the way back.

Neil.D
Old 07-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by neil.d
Hi All and thanks to the OP.

I bought the part number described as I get a fair amount of wind noise.

Removing the old one is easy, put the sun roof on tilt and you have access to the join which is at the rear of the roof. Unpick it and pull it all upwards. Most of the old adhesive came away easily if you pull it straight up.

Then, close the sunroof and without removing the sticky back to the seal, push it into place and push it flush with the roof. When youre happy, peel back the sticky back and it will remain in place.

My seal was 10 inches too long so had to be carefully cut to length. Weird why this would be.
I did see if it would all compress around but it just created kinks and didnt fit. I was mindful that door seals must never be cut and they are always the correct length but there we are.

Using the pano sunroof at this point now creats the 'anti trap alarm' that then stops all use of it and just freezes it in the tilt position giving you an error message on the dash.
That was a touch scary but its because the new seal is a lot closer fit and the the roof doesnt recognise this.

Then, with the ignition on hold the 'tilt' option for about 15 seconds, it will then go through a series of movements and then close. Keep your finger depressed throughout this. This is the sunroof reset.

I cant say Ive ever used the Pano roof as Im worried about it breaking in the open position but the quietness is a warm welcome and now I have the internal 'blind' all the way back.

Neil.D
Hey Neil

Glad after reading my post you had a go and were successful at the install. I too had the same issues/concerns with you - seal too long and sunroof needed resetting. Enjoy your wind-noise free driving! I still have not had my screen closed since the install! Currently enjoying the sunlight!

Stu
Old 07-30-2011, 08:26 AM
CMJ
Members

Hi all

I too have now removed all trace of wind noise thanks to Stu OP and his email assistance. Second seal lucky as I fitted the first only to find it starting to lift in a corner and I had not left enough seal for it to sit properly in the bend.

Anyway what I have learnt second time around

1. As already mentioned by a poster this time I fitted with the roof CLOSED and placed the seal in place then pulled off the tape.

2. As you a pulling off the tape use you fingers to keep the seal flush with the roof as this is where you want it to be postioned. Go slowly and be aware of the tape stretching and prevent it from snapping

3. If like me you forget to push down when you are pulling the tape and the seal is stuck in the wrong postion, open the roof and pull it off carefully you can then repostion but as you will find it is so much more difficult with the roof open

4. Once you have corrected the trim close the roof again and carry on

Using the closed roof technique I have got a far better and consistent factory looking finish

All in all great upgrade and thank you to Stu for raising the idea !
Old 07-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT, 1964 MBZ 220SEb Coupe, 1986 MBZ 300E and a 1997 Jeep Cherokee as my cottage car. Previous rides started with a 1947 Studebaker Commander convertible and included numerous Fords, VWs, MBZs, Saabs and, for added measure, a '61 Buick Special Wagon and Pontiac GTO.

My new seal came via another route. Earlier this summer, two large tree limbs landed on the roof of our 2007 wagon during a severe windstorm. The result was a number of dents. In the repair process, a new seal was installed. What a difference! The wind noise that the dealer said was "normal" is now gone thanks to the wind.
Al T.

Quick Reply: Sunroof wind noise - fixed