E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Which standard fit run flat ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What standard summer fit run flat tyres brands did BMW fit to E61's ? What brands do you guys run / recommend ?

Reason for asking is that I punctured my one of my standard fit Goodyear Eagle run flats, now Goodyear cannot supply the tyres until February and no dealer has stock. Have been offered a Dunlop Sport, but will change both tyres as I don;t want to mix tyres brands on the same axel.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by higher
What standard summer fit run flat tyres brands did BMW fit to E61's ? What brands do you guys run / recommend ?

Reason for asking is that I punctured my one of my standard fit Goodyear Eagle run flats, now Goodyear cannot supply the tyres until February and no dealer has stock. Have been offered a Dunlop Sport, but will change both tyres as I don;t want to mix tyres brands on the same axel.
Goodyears, Dunlops, and Bridgestone are standard RFT fitments for BMWs in the USA.

Have you tried TireRack? Their supply of original equipment tires is pretty good and if you buy thru the link in my signature you'll earn add'l discounts and rebates. TireRack can ship to your dealer too! Despite rumors to the contrary, some punctures in RFTs can be patched. The primary reason dealer don't like to do that is they are concerned that the tire was driven at "0" PSI and the tire structure may have been compromised.

BTW I strongly recommend that all 4 tires be of the same brand and style/version. Of course, if the car has the staggered wheel/tire set-up, the sizes front to back will be different.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Goodyears, Dunlops, and Bridgestone are standard RFT fitments for BMWs in the USA.

Have you tried TireRack? Their supply of original equipment tires is pretty good and if you buy thru the link in my signature you'll earn add'l discounts and rebates. TireRack can ship to your dealer too! Despite rumors to the contrary, some punctures in RFTs can be patched. The primary reason dealer don't like to do that is they are concerned that the tire was driven at "0" PSI and the tire structure may have been compromised.

BTW I strongly recommend that all 4 tires be of the same brand and style/version. Of course, if the car has the staggered wheel/tire set-up, the sizes front to back will be different.
I can only get Dunlop SP Sport as Goodyear are out of stock everywhere. Rumor has it they are developing a new FRT tyre. In the meantime if you get a puncture you're faced with changing two tyres is you don't want differing brands on each side of the axel - which I don't !!! I like Continental buy they are also rare. Heard bad stories about bridgestone.

Guess I have no choice but $500 for one puncture is a high price to pay. You guys on Goodyears better make sure you don't get a puncture in the next couple of months. BTW, my punctre one inch from sidewall - cannot be repaired.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Contributors

I can only get Dunlop SP Sport as Goodyear are out of stock everywhere. Rumor has it they are developing a new FRT tyre. In the meantime if you get a puncture you're faced with changing two tyres is you don't want differing brands on each side of the axel - which I don't !!! I like Continental buy they are also rare. Heard bad stories about bridgestone.

Guess I have no choice but $500 for one puncture is a high price to pay. You guys on Goodyears better make sure you don't get a puncture in the next couple of months. BTW, my punctre one inch from sidewall - cannot be repaired.
Where are you and where did you look??

What is your tire size ... how about helping those who are trying to help you by providing a little information. TireRack has these original equipment RFTs for e60 running 245/40x18:
Attached Thumbnails Which standard fit run flat ?-tires.jpg  
Old 12-21-2010, 01:19 PM
AJH
Members

Runflats can damage your alloy wheels! :thumbsdown:
Old 12-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by AJH
Runflats can damage your alloy wheels! :thumbsdown:
No, driving without care can damage your wheels!!

With all things equal, a run flat is going to protect your rim more than not. If you are damaging rims, then you might be running cheap or poorly designed rims. I'd like to know specifics on the event you are describing.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

I have 4 nearly new for sale, actually, 2 are nearly new and 2 are new as of 400 miles ago!

I put on winters (Pirelli RFT Sotozero 240) and will be using a different wheel set for summer.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jwestpro
No, driving without care can damage your wheels!!

With all things equal, a run flat is going to protect your rim more than not. If you are damaging rims, then you might be running cheap or poorly designed rims. I'd like to know specifics on the event you are describing.
Driving on poorly maintained roads increases possibility of damage to wheels and tires ... low(er) profile tires are more prone to such damage for obvious reasons.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Driving on poorly maintained roads increases possibility of damage to wheels and tires ... low(er) profile tires are more prone to such damage for obvious reasons.

and your point is meaning what? It's obvious low profile tires are prone to trouble.

The tire profile is not the issue, it was a comparison between RFT and non-RFT, not the profile! In fact, with all things equal, as I already made clear, the RFT type tire is going to be more durable in any pot-hole situation. If you do not have one, you are MORE likely to actually hit the rim on an edge.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 AM
AJH
Members

Originally Posted by jwestpro
and your point is meaning what? It's obvious low profile tires are prone to trouble.

The tire profile is not the issue, it was a comparison between RFT and non-RFT, not the profile! In fact, with all things equal, as I already made clear, the RFT type tire is going to be more durable in any pot-hole situation. If you do not have one, you are MORE likely to actually hit the rim on an edge.
The runflats transfer the impact to the rim rather than a absorb it like a normal tyre.

Quick Reply: Which standard fit run flat ?