E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Spare tire kit rant

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Sorry ... double post.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Members

My Ride: '07 E61, blue exterior, grey interior, sport, premium, nav, other stuff

My spare mini donut did not fit... So took out the "pretty" gray liner and then in went the tire, and fit...kinda dopey if you ask me, but now I have a spare in case I get another flat...unlike the last time...
Old 10-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

You need to pull out the grey carpet liner and the tyre / wheel will then fit. it won't fit with the original carpet / liner in place.

BMW will sell you an alternative grey carpet liner, that is larger to accomodate the spare wheel size but most folks don't bother. the only reason for fitting the modified liner it to protect all the switches and electronic that live under that bay. Once you remove the carpet, there is a polystyrene cover that sits at the bottom of the well, if you lift that there's loads of electric connectors positioned there. Obviously, the carpet would stop them getting wet if you had a leak from say a water bottle etc.

Here is a pic of the carpet being lifted showing the polystyrene cover at bottom of the wheel well ( you have to scroll down to see the pic)

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=960948
Old 10-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

I've just read through all of that link and I think all the pictures in there are for Saloons.

Like the OP in that topic, I'd feel much more comfortable carrying a full-size wheel. Not so much in the summer, but in the winter. If you get stranded with a puncture on a winter wheel and tyre, I know from experience that you'd be hard pushed to find a replacement tyre in mid-winter if yours is beyone repair. Which then means carrying a full size spare tyre somewhere too.

Though it does also raise an interesting point about the fact that you can make a solution to work with full size wheel in the Saloon, but not the Touring. It seems ludicrous, but I'm sure I tried it with one of my summer wheels and found it just wouldn't go into the well.

Might try it again this weekend and take some snaps.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by Lotus99
The tire is already inflated (provided you check it once a year) Mine was at 45 PSI when I checked it, so I just took it to the gas station and pumped it up, before putting it back in its spot. According to the door frame sticker, it's the same size as you list.
The spare tire does not have a inflation monitor built in?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Mine was a regular donut. Don't know what you mean by an inflation monitor, but no compressor or something built into it.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by V70Cat
The spare tire does not have a inflation monitor built in?
I don't think any of them do do they? Certainly in my car, there's no monitor to tell you the pressure. The way it measures it is by rolling radius - if that changes, the computer assumes that there is a drop in pressure and, therefore, a puncture.

Hence why you'll always get a warning bong when you change from summer to winter wheels - even though there's no loss in presure - it's because they're a slightly different size.