E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Spare tire kit rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just purchased the spare tire kit and it doesn't fit. Looks like I may need to deflate the tire to make it fit. Come on BMW, drop the runflats and put back a spare.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d 2005 M sport, individual, shadow line

Mate, he-he, count me in. I bought also same brand new spare tire kit, and was very surprised about the fitting hassle. First i thought there is a special way to fit it, that didn't work, so finally i had to diflate completely, still went in with some struggle. WTF right?

Originally Posted by vanos
Just purchased the spare tire kit and it doesn't fit. Looks like I may need to deflate the tire to make it fit. Come on BMW, drop the runflats and put back a spare.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:21 AM
Members

^^ how long has it been deflated? My concern with deflating the torrid that it may not inflate properly afterwards. I'm now thinking to keep it as is and only bring it along for long trips (I.e. outside of the city)
Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

What you need to remember first off is that BMW are money grabbing barstewards. Why you sell you a spare wheel kit when they could sell you a spare wheel kit AND a replacement spare wheel kit mat?

There are three ways to make it fit without deflating the tyre.

1. Purchase the spare wheel well replacement mat. This doesn't have the locators for the old plastic crossmemmbers and therefore the wheel will fit.
2. Get a dremmel (or similar) and cut off the the locator bits - then the wheel will fit.
3. Take the mat out altogether and the wheel will fit in the recess.

I went with option three as at the time, I'd just bought winter wheels and tyres plus the spare wheel kit and didn't want to spend another £60 on a bit of carpet.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Is the tire in this kit different than the one that came with the car? I don't get why it doesn't fit? My 2010 that came with a donut spare, I checked it a couple of months ago and inflated it to 60 PSI, and has no problems fitting in its spot.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Kell
What you need to remember first off is that BMW are money grabbing barstewards. Why you sell you a spare wheel kit when they could sell you a spare wheel kit AND a replacement spare wheel kit mat?

There are three ways to make it fit without deflating the tyre.

1. Purchase the spare wheel well replacement mat. This doesn't have the locators for the old plastic crossmemmbers and therefore the wheel will fit.
2. Get a dremmel (or similar) and cut off the the locator bits - then the wheel will fit.
3. Take the mat out altogether and the wheel will fit in the recess.

I went with option three as at the time, I'd just bought winter wheels and tyres plus the spare wheel kit and didn't want to spend another £60 on a bit of carpet.
Does Option 1 even exist? I was given to understand that cars with the spares don't have the carpet at all. I went with Option 2 because I didn't want any spillage reaching the modules under the spare - I bought a spare carpet for a fiver off ebay.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Is the tire in this kit different than the one that came with the car? I don't get why it doesn't fit? My 2010 that came with a donut spare, I checked it a couple of months ago and inflated it to 60 PSI, and has no problems fitting in its spot.

Do you have to inflate the tire or is it already inflated? The kit I got as a 135/80/R17 tire.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by vanos
Do you have to inflate the tire or is it already inflated? The kit I got as a 135/80/R17 tire.
The tire is already inflated (provided you check it once a year) Mine was at 45 PSI when I checked it, so I just took it to the gas station and pumped it up, before putting it back in its spot. According to the door frame sticker, it's the same size as you list.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Does Option 1 even exist? I was given to understand that cars with the spares don't have the carpet at all. I went with Option 2 because I didn't want any spillage reaching the modules under the spare - I bought a spare carpet for a fiver off ebay.
I had no idea about part numbers and such, but I remember at the time being told that the spare wheel wouldn't fit without the aid of a dremmel - unless you went with the replacement mat. I was even asked if I wanted to buy it when I ordered the spare wheel by the dealer.

It's possible it's Euro zone only, but It does, or did, exist.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Many cars come without it (mine certainly did). If you've not seen the mat for those cars then you wouldn't believe such a little difference could be the fine line between fitting and not.

Quick Reply: Spare tire kit rant