E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Spare kit wheel discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 -14

As my car came with RF's I have already now started to investigate what I should buy when it's time to swap for non-RF's and finally enjoy some nice ride comfort again. And to my surprise my dealer told me that the spare wheel kit has been discontinued. What's now provided is the option that resembles the M5 set-up, to a nice cost of 250 Euros...

BMW is really pushing for a future with only RF's...
Old 06-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

it's a shame..really..

You had to order the spare tyre when you ordered the car, this would be cheaper as to buy the spare tyre afterwards..

you should buy yourself a tire mobility kit.
It consists of a mini compressor and a type of silicone.
When your tyre has a hole you have to pump this silicone with the compressor into yout tyre and then you can drive another 50km until you reach the next
repair shop.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

You'll have to try and get one at a scrap yard.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

250 GBP for the EMK ( aka air pump and Goop). In the USA the "M" mobility kit runs like $140 or so...
Old 06-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Is this recent? Only I bought one about 4 months ago from my delaer at a cost of about £180.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:54 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by narvselius
As my car came with RF's I have already now started to investigate what I should buy when it's time to swap for non-RF's and finally enjoy some nice ride comfort again. And to my surprise my dealer told me that the spare wheel kit has been discontinued. What's now provided is the option that resembles the M5 set-up, to a nice cost of 250 Euros...

BMW is really pushing for a future with only RF's...
I bought the BMW Mobility kit for my E61 Touring, because BMW wanted 350 EUR to retro fit the full spare wheel kit. That said, I think there is a more basic version, probably what Kell bought?

I have a spare wheel in my current E60, so do not need the BMW Mobility Kit. Its never been used and just sat in my boot taking up space. You can have it for half price (approx 40/45 EUR) and seeing as we live near one another, we can arrange to meet up and save shipping costs --- fuel costs obviously don't count, that's covered by the driving pleasure budget Just PM if you are interested.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

When I ordered the car I don't remember the option of a spare wheel was still there - I believe it was discontinued earlier, but I may be wrong here.

This could of course also be country specific - maybe BMW SE decided to stop this option for some reason I cannot make up myself

xBMWx, thanks mate! - but I think I will opt for the mobility kit as I like the extra space I get from not having a spare... BTW 350 EUR?!? That must be in DK right? Mama... No wonder Danes go to Sweden to service their cars.

Or, we'll all get brainwashed by BMW and will gladly start purchasing overpriced RF tyres that reduce the comfort and destroy the handling.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:03 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by narvselius
When I ordered the car I don't remember the option of a spare wheel was still there - I believe it was discontinued earlier, but I may be wrong here.

This could of course also be country specific - maybe BMW SE decided to stop this option for some reason I cannot make up myself

xBMWx, thanks mate! - but I think I will opt for the mobility kit as I like the extra space I get from not having a spare... BTW 350 EUR?!? That must be in DK right? Mama... No wonder Danes go to Sweden to service their cars.

Or, we'll all get brainwashed by BMW and will gladly start purchasing overpriced RF tyres that reduce the comfort and destroy the handling.
You must have misunderstood me -- I am offering you a never-used OEM BMW Mobility Kit for half price!! We'll do the rest via PM...
Old 06-17-2010, 03:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

My kit included the wheel/tyre, jack, wheel brace, chock and plastic carrier for the little bits. Not sure what else you'd need or what would constitute a more comprehensive kit.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:11 AM
Senior Members

I just called some dealers in the UK and they still stock the spare wheel here (space-saver wheel). I have this on my E61 following flat RFT while 2.5 hours drive from home during late evening.

Let me know if you want some telephone numbers for UK dealers who stock the wheel, they will probably ship it to you, it's not big deal to them as they ship-out parts to independant garages all the time.

Quick Reply: Spare kit wheel discontinued