E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

So who's had their flaps done?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

I've only just found out that I should seriously think about Swirl Flap removal.

Now up until this conversation, I'd never heard of them - or what they do. Or what they do when they go wrong.

So I just wondered what the general consensus is. Remove? Leave alone?

Anyone had any failures?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Read this thread plus the links inside. I think you'll get pretty much all the information you need there .
If not, please ask any question you like .

- Antti -
Old 10-31-2011, 01:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D

I had my removed on my 530D, no problems since and sailed through MOT emissions test. I just didn't want the agro of an injested flap.
PMW Ltd. in Essex removed and fitted the blanking plates for me, but you can do it yourself and buy the blanking plates from them.
Although all flaps were intact and not loose (I had the revised flaps on my car when manufactured) they were a sticky black mess and must have restricted some airflow.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Originally Posted by fletchedpair
I had my removed on my 530D, no problems since and sailed through MOT emissions test. I just didn't want the agro of an injested flap.
PMW Ltd. in Essex removed and fitted the blanking plates for me, but you can do it yourself and buy the blanking plates from them.
Although all flaps were intact and not loose (I had the revised flaps on my car when manufactured) they were a sticky black mess and must have restricted some airflow.
How much did they charge forthe full job? And do you know off-hand how much their kit is?

Although reading through the links above, it looks like you don't need the kit as such, but can do a home-made repair.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Members

I did mine. Cost is around £160 to £200 including labour and parts, depending on who does it.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

PMW's blanking plates are a good option to go, if you liked to keep the original swirl flaps intact for some reason (like mounting them back when selling the car for example). If they had been available back then when I did mine, I would have considered them at least.

- Antti -
Old 10-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

I take it what you're talking about has nothing to do with these? I had no idea what flaps are, and this showed up when I Googled it...

Old 11-01-2011, 03:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D

PMW charged me 97.50 + VAT for fitting and 54 +VAT for the kit. Total £181.80
At that price not worth me getting my hands dirty on my drive.
They were first class in service, they did it while I waited, took about 90 mins.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '04 E61 525d TITANGRAU II METALLIC (A36) LEDER DAKOTA/BEIGE 3 (LCBA) SIDE AIRBAG FOR REAR PASSENGERS ALARM SYSTEM ROOF RAIL SUNBLINDS FOR REAR SIDE WINDOWS, MECH FLOOR MATS, VELOUR INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE WOOD TRIM CUPHOLDER SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) XENON LIGHT ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING CRUISE CONTROL NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL CAR TELEPHONE PROFESSIONAL CD CHANGER BMW FOR 6 CDS

I removed mine using the home made method. Removed the flaps from the housing and filled the hole with a screw. I've been driving like this for about 2 years now without any problems. The fuel consumption didn't change, no difference in power, and the car still passes the inspection it has to go through every year over here in Belgium (about the same as MOT in UK).
Old 11-16-2011, 01:52 AM
New Members

Got my 06 535D M-Sport Touring a couple of weeks ago & just finding out all the little quirks... quite a few arnt they?

Anyway read up on the swirl flap issue & decided too risky not too so bought some blanking plates & got tore in last weekend. Whole thing took me about 1.5 hours and not difficult for anyone competent with a socket set. No difference in perfomance but big difference in peace of mind.

Mine were the ones with the infamous screws that cause the damage when ingested so it was only a matter of time....

To me it was a no brainer.

JR

PS - this weekends jobs include roof drain tubes, compressor pipe, rear wiring harness & diversity antenna me thinks .... all of which i knew nothing about until finding you guys ..... thanks

Quick Reply: So who's had their flaps done?