E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

So This Happened This Morning: Catastrophic Engine Failure In Dramatic Fashion

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 10:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by vinko1020
well glad your were ok but now its time to build the motor and make it better.
Yes sir!
Originally Posted by zoppp
Found your build on the e46 fanatics forums and have been following it since. Sad to see this . Maybe a v10 swap or a built n54 would be cool.
Cool, glad you enjoy the build. No way I would consider that V10 for my car, it is a more "exotic" option but real-world performance would suffer too much relative to the N54. Me like torque and turbos!
Originally Posted by bmwmonkey
Oh my, are those head bolts I see?
Those are the oil pan bolts.
Originally Posted by Alpine003
Man that sucks. Hopefully you can get back on the road soon. The bright side is that this didn't happen on the highway during heavy traffic where more damage could've been done to you and others. Also as others mentioned, it would be a good time to address any upgrades you might wanna do. I guess we're all lucky that replacement n54 motors are plenty and relatively affordable. Unfortunately I can't say the same about my Porsche.

I guess your misfortune will bring on more salivation from us in anticipation of what's next.
The P-car luxury tax is real, and yes I am thankful the N54 is relatively common, I bet if I play my cards right I can snag a killer deal on one, the problem is I don't have a ton of time to patiently shop. I hope to have my car back on the road and operational in about a month, manual trans swap and M5 drivetrain conversion included.

Originally Posted by KyleB
Are you going to stay with another N54 or do an engine swap?
N54, it is too easy and it makes too much power to justify anything else, besides I have all the oem and bolt-on components for it.
Originally Posted by OldSpool87
Evan-

Glad you are ok. Tough to see the carnage. Looking forward to the new build thread!

Good luck with it all.
Thanks, she will be back better than ever!

Evan
Old 03-19-2016, 08:25 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW

Glad to see you're ok and the car not completely engulfed by fire.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:57 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Engine: n54

Woah nuts! Glad you're okay! I remember doing something similar to my old car .. but I didn't have the expertise or time to do the whole engine swap.. someone offered me enough money for the car minus the engine for me to sell it right away and buy myself an evo Too bad the police were hassling me too much for a STOCK on the outside red car.. so I've moved along to my E60.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:47 AM
RCB
New Members

My Ride: E61 535Xit

That's a bummer, sorry to see this. Did the data logging that day reveal anything? Was it cyl.5 that threw the rod?
Old 03-22-2016, 06:13 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535xi Wagon

Wow that is crazy! Sorry to hear about this. Check your DME and see if you have any transistor shorts. I've seen people with injector related misfires that isn't due to a bad injector or coil or plug: Repairing a 'fried' N54 MSD80 DME
Old 03-22-2016, 07:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by RCB
That's a bummer, sorry to see this. Did the data logging that day reveal anything? Was it cyl.5 that threw the rod?
Cylinder 3, I have some basic log-evaluating skills and can't dissect them like real tuner so I am sharing them with the forums to get more eyes on them, logs attached.
Originally Posted by pnosker
Wow that is crazy! Sorry to hear about this. Check your DME and see if you have any transistor shorts. I've seen people with injector related misfires that isn't due to a bad injector or coil or plug: Repairing a 'fried' N54 MSD80 DME
Interesting, I will check out the thread.

Didn't get the turbos off yet but removed some other items, slow and steady as I am making sure to clean and store everything properly so there are no surprises when it is time to reinstall.

The 3 logs I took shortly before are attached, if you prefer Datazap:
datazap.me | ucsbwsr | Boom Goes The Dynamite

Evan

This will be the new look for a couple weeks

Protected the fender with tape, the first fender came out a little rough

...got my sh1t together for the second fender

Fuel system removed, electrical wiring harness mostly removed.

Notice something wrong?

This was about 1 inch away from the HPFP hardline

Daylight! This upper driver side damage was the least out of the other 3 sides, it was just the most visible as I had removed most of the top-side engine components.

Part are piling up
Attached Files
File Type: csv
2016-03-18 11_12_46.csv (11.7 KB, 73 views)
2016-03-18 11_11_17.csv (10.7 KB, 76 views)
2016-03-18 11_11_42.csv (9.3 KB, 75 views)
Old 03-22-2016, 12:58 PM
New Members

In your last log you overrevved to at least 7100 RPM. At the same time, you were under WOT and full load and your bank 2 AFR was 16.4 which is way too high, bank 1 is ok. It looks like something happened then.

Send any oil you have for oil analysis. I'd suspect you may have some fuel mixed in.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:02 PM
New Members

Do you have meth injection? Were you running E85? What kind of fuel were you running? Do you have nitrous?
Old 03-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

In your last log you overrevved to at least 7100 RPM. At the same time, you were under WOT and full load and your bank 2 AFR was 16.4 which is way too high, bank 1 is ok. It looks like something happened then.

Send any oil you have for oil analysis. I'd suspect you may have some fuel mixed in.
Do you have meth injection? Were you running E85? What kind of fuel were you running? Do you have nitrous?
Funny you mention the 7,100rpm, I noticed that too and I can only count on one hand the amount of times I have seen the engine rev above 7,000rpm. The other times I recall were when the transmission was acting up. I usually shift at 6,300-6,500 (shift light is at 6,300) and rarely even see a log show 6,950 or 7,000rpm. I mean maybe 3-4 times out of 100s of logs.

How much oil is needed for an analysis, I just pulled my turbos a might be able to gather some if I only need a few drops, most was lost when the engine blew.

No Meth, No NOS, I was running 91oct with E85 for roughly an E35 blend, I think it is ~6gal of E85 in an 18.5gal tank.

Evan
Old 03-22-2016, 06:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 535xi

With all that money and M5 parts thrown on that car, you may as well sell off those N54 go fast parts and do an S85 swap!

Quick Reply: So This Happened This Morning: Catastrophic Engine Failure In Dramatic Fashion