E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Snow chains for E61 M Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Need to order some snow chains for when we go away in a month, and wondered if anyone here can recommend a make and model that will fit.

Much of the stuff I've looked at recommends being able to get both forearms between the wheel and wheelarch. Impossible at the moment as our suspension has gone, but difficult under normal circumstances too.

So. Anyone got any recommendations?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

Winter Tyres and Chains together?

Originally Posted by Kell
Need to order some snow chains for when we go away in a month, and wondered if anyone here can recommend a make and model that will fit.

Much of the stuff I've looked at recommends being able to get both forearms between the wheel and wheelarch. Impossible at the moment as our suspension has gone, but difficult under normal circumstances too.

So. Anyone got any recommendations?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

At this rate, it won't matter anyway unless our car gets sorted. :thumbsdown:
Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by bertolli
Winter Tyres and Chains together?
... and X-drive! Just to be on the safe side...

Seriously, Kell, do you plan to go on summer tyres? A set of winter tyres should be enough, unless you plan to take the car off pist too.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:43 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

I've been to winter ski resorts in Austria a few times with my E60s; on 18s and 19s! If you are heading to an area which is used to dealing with snow fall, then the routes should all be well enough prepared for your journey.

Here is a pic of my car after it was snowed in. It is on 18" winter tyres. I then had to drive it uphill out of the car park to the main road. The wheels span a little at times, but there was no issue getting out of there. It would really surprise me if you would need snow chains in addition to your winter wheels, especially so late into the winter season where everybody is up to speed with the weather.

Snow chains for E61 M Sport-whitee60.jpg
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

I know it seems like overkill, but I've read bits and pieces to say that they're a legal requirement in many places - even not allowing you to pass certain places until you fit them.

Now, I've been to Alpe D'huez several times (at different points during the Ski season) and I've only ever seen the snowploughs with chains on. however, it's better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Members

After 10 years of Audi quattro S2 & RS2 with snow chains never needed. I bought a 535d this summer. Terrible in the Scottish winter this year with the non grip I mean run flat tyres. This is a great option to consider. Main issue apart from ease of fitting is you can drive on normal roads @ 50kph with them on !! http://www.autosock.co.uk/
Old 03-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Senior Members

I did think about autosocks. But the problem remains that while they may be good, they're not yet approved in those places where it's a legal requirement. Probably won't take long before they are, but I figured it's worth going the legal route at the mo.

I have ordered some, but I can't test them yet as the car is still sitting on the bump stops in the BMW dealers as the suspension is fecked.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d

Originally Posted by Kell
I know it seems like overkill, but I've read bits and pieces to say that they're a legal requirement in many places - even not allowing you to pass certain places until you fit them.
+1
Images of last year trip to the mountains close to Chamonix, where I had to put on the chains - which proved very efficient Snow chains for E61 M Sport-dsc00808.jpg
Old 03-08-2010, 02:11 AM
Members

Fully agree re legal issue. However I took snowchains every year to Switzerland in the Audis & never needed them. My point re the socks is they look much less hassle to use. If I went tomorrow I would take both !!

Quick Reply: Snow chains for E61 M Sport