E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Ski rack, BMW or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to add a ski rack, should I go with the OEM BMW one or opt for a Thule ski rack? Any inputs? What about wind noise, is the OEM BMW better vs. Thule for the E61? Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

I'm guessing you'll get Thule as an answer. More flexibility, and possibly cheaper cost too. Thule just came out with new bars this year, they say their aerodynamics are a lot better than the previous version even.

I did a bunch of research and got some input from others, if you read thru this thread: https://5series.net/forums/topic/114...sa-also-wiring
Old 03-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

for the very best aero deal, it's probably the "whisper-bar" that is now being sold through Rack- N- Road. It's very slim line but I also know it had some issues with some cars sun roof height clearance, as in when you also then mount something to the bar which then hangs below the bar.

I think those new Thule aero versions are ice too, and of course more versatile.

I could preach all day though about why it's better to have even the slimmest encloses ski carrier. I like those cool flat ones that are truly just for skis. Washing off skis after pummeling them with road grime and salt for hours is not what I want to do with my time after a long weekend and drive home! Not to mention the random rock/grit chunks that fly in the winter. There's no way I'm putting $3000 worth of skis through all that twice a weekend. Then you have the poles too.

Unless I'm alone, there aren't any exterior ski racks that will hold all of them anyway
Old 03-01-2012, 04:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D

After investigating both, I went down the Thule route. Cheaper to put package together too I got the aero bars from one supplier and the feet from another. I bought a used roof box (few scratches but great condition) on ebay and the ski-kit from ebay still in it's unopened box!
Old 01-26-2015, 02:35 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535xi touring
Engine: N54

For those that have aftermarket models can you please share the specific model you use? I want to make sure I purchase the correct one for my 2008 535xi wagon.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Senior Members

Super happy with my super quiet 53" Thule AeroBlade Bars. I've got the Thule Rapid Crossroad Railing Foot Pack with them. Wanted something cheaper than OEM and figured that I'd have more options too with a Thule brand. Don't have a ski rack, but have multiple bike racks and a box up top.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

I have the Thule "Aeroblade edge" which actually work perfectly with the sunroofs. The Yakima owned "Whispbar" conflicted with the sunroof.

Thule AeroBlade Edge Roof Bar - Raised Rail

E61 requires one each of the "M" and "L" sizes. The price is per SINGLE bar of S,M,L length. No "feet" or "footpack" requird as they just wrap around the raised factory rail.

A slightly narrower wagon like an E91 would use either 2 "S" or a S & M.

I really like the way these are designed. Pretty much self centering and solid mount.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:34 PM
Senior Members

Interesting. Those weren't around a few years ago when I bought mine. I like how they've got the feet built into them, which is like how the BMW ones are, but I specifically didn't want the BMW one also because you get less usable bar width, which was important to me and I got the 53" bars instead of the default 47" bar. I carry 3 bike racks plus a roof box all at the same time.

It looks a bit better not having the bar hang a few inches off each side of the foot pack I suppose, but that's a small tradeoff. And if that was very important, you could always get the 47" bars with the feet, and can still upgrade if needed later.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Senior Members

Yes, these are a set width inside the rails but I was going for the absolute most aerodynamic option. They are very quiet too.
For carrying lots of stuff or needing the width, I just use the Thule standard bars on the older rail-wrap type mount that I don't think is made anymore. They are very quick to remove/install once it's been set up the first time though. The new Aeroblades are much slower to undo.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:52 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535xit
Model Year: 08

Whispbar s44
No Issues with the bars conflicting with my sunroof

Quick Reply: Ski rack, BMW or aftermarket?