E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Should I do this? Opinion please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Ok. So I'm tired of the RFT's on my 530d Touring M-sport (18 inch) and I was planning to change them. Since I also have a winter set-up, I won't be using the summer set-up till April, but I ran into this used set.

It's 20 inch, with et20 (will this be OK for an e61?). It has no scratches and is wrapped with 245-30-20 Dunlop Sport, which are in very good condition.
The current owner just e-mailed me a picture of his car. It's almost the same car, except mine is Carbon black.

What do you guys think? I normally don't like replica wheels, but I like the look of these wheels. Please let me know your opinion!
Attached Thumbnails Should I do this? Opinion please!-20_inch.jpg  
Old 01-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

They look great and they would obviously look great on a Carbon Black E61.

Providing they are 8,5 wide, which I assume they are with the 245 tyres, then they should fit fine with the ET20.

I guess the only question is whether these are good reps or not Have you been able to get any details on the manufacturer and research them at all? Why is your contact selling them?
Old 01-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

They are high quality rep's. It's a quite expensive set, too. The car on the picture is a 535d and he claims that the wheels are 100% straight.
He's selling his car with the original wheels.

I prefer to have the OEM m166 set for my Touring, but it's hard to find a used set, especially with the et17 set-up for a Touring. This set is virtually new and imo looks even better than the 19's. Unfortunately, it's also much more conspicuous and I'm not sure if my clients will accept this.....

Perhaps you're interested in trading your M166's fo these (or just selling them)?
Old 01-19-2009, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

Guys, opinions please!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Ok, I will give it a shot.

I think that they are too big.

It doesn't look like (the pics) the car actually has any tires! If you have sports suspension, I would guess that the ride on any slightly uneven road will be "harsh" to put it mildly.

That said, if you like the look and know what sort of ride characteristics they give, then who cares what anyone else thinks!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='771522' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:58 AM
Ok, I will give it a shot.

I think that they are too big.

It doesn't look like (the pics) the car actually has any tires! If you have sports suspension, I would guess that the ride on any slightly uneven road will be "harsh" to put it mildly.

That said, if you like the look and know what sort of ride characteristics they give, then who cares what anyone else thinks!
I think it will make the car ride really hard, where do you use the car?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='771522
I think it will make the car ride really hard, where do you use the car?
Thanks for your reply!

They do look kind of big. Tire size is 245/30/20 and of course no run flat.
Lats year, I did a test-drive in an M-sport 535d with 20's. The car wasn't noticably harder than my mine (M-sport with 18 inch run-flat).
The roads in The Netherlands are quite good (in terms of smoothness, that is), so I think that won't be a problem.

The car on the photo sits a bit low in the back, but that's because of the 18 inch wheels in the trunk.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i w/ sport package: bone stock :( 2006 Yamaha R-6exy Raven: Fully Loaded Track weapon 2004 Ducati 749 Testaretta: Fully Loaded two other family cars that I dont care to mention, lol!

Originally Posted by LW78' post='771536' date='Jan 19 2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks for your reply!

They do look kind of big. Tire size is 245/30/20 and of course no run flat.
Lats year, I did a test-drive in an M-sport 535d with 20's. The car wasn't noticably harder than my mine (M-sport with 18 inch run-flat).
The roads in The Netherlands are quite good (in terms of smoothness, that is), so I think that won't be a problem.

The car on the photo sits a bit low in the back, but that's because of the 18 inch wheels in the trunk.
I would say no, I have been doing some research myself and most 166's replica are made in China! I rather spend the extra bucks and get real BMW (BBS) rims.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

I think they look good!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

Thanks everyone for your opinion.

I know that this replica is fairly decent quality. Of course, OEM is far better, but at least twice as expensive. This set will cost me a lot less, also because it is used (although almost new).

I know someone who has a 535d, with the same wheels and he has driven 100k km's with them, without any vibration or so.
Not all things made in China are bad. In my line of business, we also produce things in China, with the highest quality!

Quick Reply: Should I do this? Opinion please!