E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

servotronic

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 12:46 PM
jbe
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

In my previous 525 I had had servotronic as on option. fantastic. predictable, smooth whilst keeping a 'BMW feel' with the road. On the new touring this is a standard option. The new servotronic is absolutely terrible. Vage, too light and the steering wheel starts to turn in reaction on tracks etc in the road (in particular at lower speeds). This effect becomes even worse using the breaks. After 4 years and 120.000 miles with a proper servotronic, I think i know how it should work. But the dealer says that is OK. Anybody elso who has the same problem?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, jbe !
Old 12-01-2004, 03:50 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, jbe !
Old 12-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Contributors

Hi jbe, welcome here.
I tested a E61 525D with servotronic and i had the same bad feeling, that's why I opted for my 530D to buy the Active steering, much better especially at high speed.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I have servotronic and don't have the same feeling. Especially at high speeds the steering feels tight and responsive. On low speeds (parking speeds) the car steers very light and easy. I drove an E39 without servotronic and parking was a handfull with that car..
Old 12-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

jbe,

I don't agree with you. I have Servotronic standard on my 545iTouring and it is even the best Servotronic system I had from BMW. (compared to my previous 528i T, 540i T, X5 4.4i )

BTW I don't have AFS (Active fornt steering and believe me, I don't miss it as such)
Old 12-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

I'm definately not a fan of servotronic. Is it standard on a car without Active Steering? I don't have AS and servotronic was listed on the options/standard equipment list of my car and I never specified for it. <_<
Old 12-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Maybe it is standard in Canada???
Old 01-07-2005, 09:03 AM
jbe
Members

Finally I got rid of those terrible run flat tires and not only of a lot of noice and fibrations, but also of the problems I had with the steering. It still steers to light for me, but the very incomfortable reaction of road conditions on the steering wheel is completely gone. I start enjoying my BMW again
Old 01-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Contributors

I wish I could change my runflats for normal tires..

Quick Reply: servotronic