E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Sell E61 opinions/feeler ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Rephrase: sell before or after fixing fender?
- which will at the very least include repainting bumper and hood for rock chipping because they would want to blend into those areas even if they didn't need repainting for cosmetic reasons.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:05 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 650i 6sp
Engine: 4.8l V8

Beautiful e61!! Didnt know there were any other E61 owners from Seattle on here. Whats next?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 AM
New Members

Nice wagon! I have been looking for a replacement for my wife's e39, so I might be interested as well. What I am really curious about is the screens you mention, which I gather are not the ones built into the doors (which don't include the hatch glass) but rather some add on ones. Are they removable? Are they BMW or aftermarket? I ask because we have the roller blinds in our current e39, and love them, and feel they are a requirement in our replacement wagon, but hard to find.

Thanks.

---Andrew
Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by The_Sauce
Beautiful e61!! Didnt know there were any other E61 owners from Seattle on here. Whats next?
Thanks!

Not sure, maybe nothing for now.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sportwagon5
Nice wagon! I have been looking for a replacement for my wife's e39, so I might be interested as well. What I am really curious about is the screens you mention, which I gather are not the ones built into the doors (which don't include the hatch glass) but rather some add on ones. Are they removable? Are they BMW or aftermarket? I ask because we have the roller blinds in our current e39, and love them, and feel they are a requirement in our replacement wagon, but hard to find.

Thanks.

---Andrew
Found them in the 5 series accessories booklet at the dealer. A few came from Germany because they weren't in any bmw usa warehouses. Snug fit to all edges, WAY better than the roll-up type. All 5 rear windows. Easy enough to remove for cleaning but not something you would want to do every day. Not cheap but they are well made and came with storage pouches.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by norsecarnut
Found them in the 5 series accessories booklet at the dealer. A few came from Germany because they weren't in any bmw usa warehouses. Snug fit to all edges, WAY better than the roll-up type. All 5 rear windows. Easy enough to remove for cleaning but not something you would want to do every day. Not cheap but they are well made and came with storage pouches.

Thanks. Well I guess better than the roll up versions could be up for debate in my case, as I have found in certain situations (low light/at night, looking back through the rear door windows at a steep angle at certain intersections) I need to ask my kids to drop them down to enable a clear view. Maybe the weave is different that it wouldn't be an issue. Certainly covering more than just the rear door windows is a plus from a heat gain standpoint.

---Andrew
Old 04-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2001 M5, 2010 e61 / 535iXT Automatic
Model Year: 2001, 2010
Exclamation Other considerations with M5 bumper/fenders

Originally Posted by Lotus99
If you're selling it after? I don't see why you'd spend more $ on mods if you're selling it after.
Anotehr person on the Bimmerforums did the M5 bumper and the PDC sensors as well as harness was different,. That one was a 2010, but should be about same.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Senior Members

Thx

M5 bumper requires more parts such as sensors and harness.

BMW M-tech bumper does not. Mtech also allows continued use of fog lamps without custom adaptation because M5 bumper does not have provision for fog lamps already built in.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Senior Members

Car is going into body shop soon. For complete job of fender replacement, paint blending is required into passenger door, hood and front bumper cover. Plan is as follows:

1-replace front bumper with Mtech version rather than spend labor time refinishing the stock cover. This also results in new finished front end free of rock chips.

2-replace right front fender.

3-repair all hood rock chip/nicks and repaint.

4- full hood paint requires blending into left fender for visual purposes. Full front bumper painting ideally requires blending into left fender too. Thus left fender gets any blemishes fixed on leading edges and blended.

The above is the least extent of the work. I may elect to have the fenders replaced as M5 fenders while we're at it. The "only" extra cost for this choice would be also blending into driver door but also fender liners and a few small parts to interface those fender liners with the Mtech front bumper. Choosing the actual M5 bumper ads a whole bunch of other costly parts and removes the fog lamp mounting, or requires custom fabrication to ad a fog in. I like the look of the Mtech bumper and it would blend visually with the M5 fenders.

Ultra slick would be filling the M5 fender "vent slats" After all, its not an M5 car so smooth fenders that are actually wider than stock, would look really nice and remove issues of wheel offset up front.

Aside from all that would be side skirts and rear bumper cover.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2001 M5, 2010 e61 / 535iXT Automatic
Model Year: 2001, 2010
Default Actual Post ref PDC incompatabity

Originally Posted by norsecarnut
ok, opinion request:
If I go ahead and have the fender repaired, do I simply go with oem as spec front bumper or now swap front with factory M-Tech, add M-tech side sills, and rear bumper, or just have the fender replaced and just repaint the front bumper, right fender, and hood, for their cosmetic refurbishing (rocks chipping)?
M3This' E61 Touring - Page 2 - BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com

Quick Reply: Sell E61 opinions/feeler ?