E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Rusted Tail Gate Struts

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 05:19 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010
Default Update #1

I just tried replacing the retaining ring for a new one with the same diameter and similar wire thickness, it held a little better but strut still pops out

I am thinking of making my own retaining ring with thicker wire and give it a shot, since that is my only problem and the ball looks in good shape. The place where I bought it said they wouldn't do it because the amount is too little, they'd need a large run ~1,000 pieces...which would still be cheaper than replacing the original strut (so, it might still be an option). Then I could sell the 999 remaining rings LOL
Old 09-21-2018, 04:19 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010
Thumbs up Update #1

Well, it seems I hadn't snapped the retaining ring well enough because after that incident (I reported below) the arm hasn't popped out! I've opened and closed the gate probably 8 times since then. Just wanted to let the group know in case you're having a similar problem as me...this was a very cheap solution. I bought 10 rings of which I still have 9. If anybody wants 1 or 2 just pay for shipping, unless you're in Chicago and we can meet to give it to you.