E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

From Runflats to non-Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted
Talking

So I decided to ditch runflats after 3 years with E60/61 and all I can say is >> I like the ride much more..! Not the nervous and harsh M-Sport suspension anymore but fine-tuned sport suspension with great cornering capabilities and comfortable and smooth ride. The car is more enjoyable and relaxed to drive than with runflat tires. I used to buy original set only - the best runflats from a BMW dealer to make sure I get the newest edition but still, the difference between the best runflats and half-priced normal tires is very noticeable.
Runflats spoil the otherwise brilliant car. I got enough of "the right drivers' feeling" (feeling every tiny crack and imperfection of the road surface).

For those who consider new winter tires, I can recommend the Nokian WR G2 tires. Compared to Dunlop Winter Sport M3 and Pirelli Sottozero, they are really very good.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 535d Touring

You replied to a post of mine regarding a similar topic, so I continue here...

I have always avoided the run-flats as I have invested in the 172 rims (19"). Though run-flats do exist for this rim (245/35 which I prefer - though there are serious limitations in terms of manufacturer choice), they would've provided a `mountain-road` feel to an unrefined stretch of highway road. And I very often happen to find myself on one of these.

Of course, the run-flats do offer the known run-on-flat convenience and, to my understanding, offer a bit more security, in terms of handling, in non-extreme situations.

I have not really gone through a large enough set of tires on my vehicle - Conti SP 2 and 3, but I can say that the reinforced Conti SP3, as a reinforced summer tire - even as a low-profile tire is a good tire (`relatively` (with a grain of salt) comfy on the 172 rims and stick like glue to dry asphalt - also quite good in rain).

I'd like to thank you for your recommendation of the Nokian WRG2, as I really wanted to buy this tire. Now I'm left wondering if it's an intelligent idea, as narvsellius pointed out in my post, to mount them on my 172s, or whether I will have to invest in a new set of rims.

Cheers,
Alex
Old 12-25-2009, 01:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Hi Alex, thanks for your reply. I'm glad you are sharing your experience.

You said:
Originally Posted by push_eax@hotmail.com' post='1079368' date='Dec 24 2009, 05:35 PM
Good to know that I'm not the only one contemplating buying these tires. It is unfortunate, of course, that your tire size is a more standard arrangement compared to the set-up I contemplating. My choice is mainly based on the fact that I have invested in the 172 rims and would rather "go with them" all year round, rather than have two operational sets of different sizes. Of course, it is possible that my approach is wrong.
I understand your point. However, even M5 / M6 have 18" winter tires so why not downsize for winter too? It really depends on the road conditions you drive at. If you drive mostly on highways and in the city, keep those 19" - since you invested in them and would like to make you happy each time you see your car.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hondik' post='1079675' date='Dec 25 2009, 06:47 AM
Hi Alex, thanks for your reply. I'm glad you are sharing your experience.

You said:

I understand your point. However, even M5 / M6 have 18" winter tires so why not downsize for winter too? It really depends on the road conditions you drive at. If you drive mostly on highways and in the city, keep those 19" - since you invested in them and would like to make you happy each time you see your car.

Hi
Your experiences have cheered me up as I have quickly become disenchanted with the harshness of my 'M' E61 with run flat. To the point I have begun to think I made a big mistake buying the car. It might suit a younger person but my ageing frame feels as if my head is going to vibrate off my shoulders on some roads. If I stick it out and don't look for a different model I will certainly revisit the option of putting standard tyres on when mine are up for replacement.

Added note: I experienced a serious ice slide today at relatively slow speed. Approaching a main road and came within inches of hitting a car going past my side road before I finally managed to stop. The slide started far too easily and was virtually unstoppable. Is this a downside to the low profile. Despite many hundred thousand miles, many of which in equally bad conditions and fast cars, I have not experienced the ease with which it took off. Very unsure of these tyres.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Couvignab' post='1081915' date='Dec 30 2009, 10:45 PM
Hi
Your experiences have cheered me up as I have quickly become disenchanted with the harshness of my 'M' E61 with run flat. To the point I have begun to think I made a big mistake buying the car. It might suit a younger person but my ageing frame feels as if my head is going to vibrate off my shoulders on some roads. If I stick it out and don't look for a different model I will certainly revisit the option of putting standard tyres on when mine are up for replacement.

Added note: I experienced a serious ice slide today at relatively slow speed. Approaching a main road and came within inches of hitting a car going past my side road before I finally managed to stop. The slide started far too easily and was virtually unstoppable. Is this a downside to the low profile. Despite many hundred thousand miles, many of which in equally bad conditions and fast cars, I have not experienced the ease with which it took off. Very unsure of these tyres.
To be honest I became tired of the harsh ride. Imagine having comfort seats and not being able to use the head cushion because the whole car is like a giant vibrator. I suggest buying the lightest wheels to minimize the unsprung weight and go non-RFT. It is a relief indeed.

I'm not sure about that ice slide - I assume you have winter shoes on, right?

How old are you anyway? I'm 29 and I don't feel like enjoying the discomfort over security. I've been told that RFT tyres are a dead end and they will be discontinued. What is interesting that eg. Mercedes never puts RFTs' on any of their models.

Back to my new experience, I tried to push the E61 a little harder this week and these softer (normal) tyres are much more capable while cornering, you can slide but never "jump" and never hear thumping sounds if a curve is not mirror-like flat.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:11 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Welcome to the non-RFT club! I'm pleased to hear you're enjoying the benefits of the change.
You're enjoying all the benefits I expereinced when I switched to non-RFT -- good write up

I am running Dunlop SportMaxx non-RFT in summer and have had Michalin PS2s in the past. In winter I currently run Dunlop WinterSport 3D and am very pleased with their performance, especially as they are on a 19" staggered set-up and its been snowing /icing over a lot recently. I had 17" RFT Dunlop winter tyres for about a month and had absolutely NO confidence in those tyres what so ever; the grip and handling were terrible in comparisson.

For me its non-RFT all the way.

Enjoy...
Old 01-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 525DTM

I also use normal tires with staggered setup from e34 M5 :-) front 8x17 225/50 and 9x17 245/45 R17 Continental (would go narrower on back but has got a set of wheels already at home, 8x17 is just 7,8kg!)
Attached Thumbnails From Runflats to non-Runflats-e61m5alu.jpg   From Runflats to non-Runflats-m5e34zima.jpg  
Old 01-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 535d Touring

Originally Posted by hondik' post='1078431' date='Dec 22 2009, 10:13 PM
So I decided to ditch runflats after 3 years with E60/61 and all I can say is >> I like the ride much more..! Not the nervous and harsh M-Sport suspension anymore but fine-tuned sport suspension with great cornering capabilities and comfortable and smooth ride. The car is more enjoyable and relaxed to drive than with runflat tires. I used to buy original set only - the best runflats from a BMW dealer to make sure I get the newest edition but still, the difference between the best runflats and half-priced normal tires is very noticeable.
Runflats spoil the otherwise brilliant car. I got enough of "the right drivers' feeling" (feeling every tiny crack and imperfection of the road surface).

For those who consider new winter tires, I can recommend the Nokian WR G2 tires. Compared to Dunlop Winter Sport M3 and Pirelli Sottozero, they are really very good.
So, I have now officially joined your winter arrangement arrangement club:

Nokian WR G2 235/45 R17...

I had them installed and have only driven 100km with them on dry highway (bad highway) road. My experience is over this brief period is that they are mighty soft and sticky - this sticky effect can be felt a lot longitudinally (also laterally, but a bit less). A bit of swooshyness, but not excessive - haven't tested the tire pressure myself, so I'll confirm my impressions subsequent to the weekend when I will have had the opportunity to drive it 1k km or so - both on good highway, a bit of show, and winding back-roads.

However, my initial impressions are that I like them.

Cheers and enjoy...