E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Roll-up cover no longer resetting

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason, I don't think the UK (in 04 at least) got the auto option. My Dec 04 is the same as yours.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 AM
New Members

My Ride: Boxster S

Thought I would resurect this since I just picked up a 2010 e61. It has the power up and down tailgate. The roll up springs up but doesn't close on its own. Any ideas on how to determine if the close function is broken or I just don't have the option?

I'd love to do the DIY for fun, but only if there is actually the option on the car to fix it.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Members

Jake,

Take a look where the cover sits in the runners when closed. If there are two small hooks (1 per side) it is most likely a manual cover. The other option is to use your VIN on of the ETK systems.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:51 AM
Members

Hallo

Are thinking about retrofitting this to my car.
But I have had no luck in finding the part number for the controlbox for the system (realOEM etc.), can anybody help me with this?

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:45 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Holtz
Hallo
Are thinking about retrofitting this to my car.
But I have had no luck in finding the part number for the controlbox for the system (realOEM etc.), can anybody help me with this?
Thanks.
For automatic cargo cover you need LCPA module 61 35 9 167 237 but for retrofit you'll need lot more small parts (connectors, pins, etc).
Old 06-06-2013, 05:16 AM
Members

Thx Laco19. Yes I know I need a lot more, wiressytem, moter, new covers etc. All that I have, but I could not find the controll module.

Once again thanks for the help.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:29 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 530 xit
Default Magic

Here is my experience: I bought an '07 in May, with working automatic cargo cover. After about two months, it stopped working, i.e. it would retract but not come back after closing the gate or window. I read the articles above and knew that it could be repaired, but since I'm out of warranty, I can't justify handing over a few 100 $ to a dealer to get it fixed.
So I just walked over to the car and confirmed once again that it didn't work. Then, with the window open, I completely rolled up the cover and pulled it back out. I then pushed down the black blocks left and right, which allowed the cover to retract and move up. Then I closed the window and wallaa, the cover closed. Opened the window again, closed it again, cover rolled up and came back. To me this is pure magic, I have no explanation as to why it would work all of a sudden.
But when I used the remote to open the tailgate, the cover only rolled up half-way, and then stopped. After pushing it up by hand, it did come down as designed when closing the tailgate. Which adds to the magic.

I know that this post does not help anybody, but I guess I want to illustrate that this feature is full of gremlins, and it might stop working just like that.

Jan
Old 02-16-2014, 06:47 AM
New Members

My Ride: e61 530d

hi guys, i have a very loud motor noise when ever i open the tailgate or the glass, and its coming from the left hand corner of the car. i'm thinking its possibly the motor for the auto lifting function. is it an easy fix? are they any more photo DIY guides about (you can probably tell i'm not good with a spanner! lol)? my care is a 2004 e61 530d.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:17 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andystone003
hi guys, i have a very loud motor noise when ever i open the tailgate or the glass, and its coming from the left hand corner of the car. i'm thinking its possibly the motor for the auto lifting function. is it an easy fix? are they any more photo DIY guides about (you can probably tell i'm not good with a spanner! lol)? my care is a 2004 e61 530d.
It's probably because the fluid in the hydraulic pump needs topping up. Technically it's not a hard job but it's fiddly. The pump is behind the side panel. You have to remove it (leaving the wires and hoses attached) turn it upside down to access the filling plug which is at the bottom. The fill plug needs an allen key. The pump is held in by two nuts and one bolt.

The fluid is Shell Aerofluid 40 (I think).

The idea is you fill it so the cross on the side indicates the fluid level when the pump is installed. However you have to fill it upside down with the pump removed so it'll take a few goes. It won't need much either, perhaps 100ml.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: e61 530d

any suggestions where i can get this fluid from?

Quick Reply: Roll-up cover no longer resetting