E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Rob's E61 PUrchase, Maintenance, and History

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 10:46 AM
New Members

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: Deep Sea Blue E61 535xi
Default Rob's E61 PUrchase, Maintenance, and History

Figured I'd share my thoughts and experiences on my 2008 E61 November 2018 purchase. Great car, coming from a 2009 E90 335i that was just too small and not a good dog hauler at all (I have 2 mutts). Did some research and since I'm handy in the garage (yay for mechanic Dad) figured I'd get another N54, hence the following.

I bought the car from an older couple in their 60s or 70s, where the wife drove it most of the time, with the occasional trip to Tahoe. It had a slight misfire and a cargo area full of water almost to the spare tire electronics when I bought it, which helped get the price down to $6800 with 100k on her. Also had a non-operational rear hatch glass release. First on the agenda was a walnut blast. Intake runners and valves looked typical (dealership had used intake cleaning spray a couple times, which really doesn't work well at all) but I spent a few hours getting everything blasted in the garage.

Last edited by MysticRob; 09-19-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:48 AM
New Members

Since I'm not a big fan at all of the original Grandma wheels I bought some multi-spoke 3-series wheels with a better offset off CL for $250 mounted and balanced. This had the effect of pushing the wheels out just over 1/2", which helps fill the wheel wells much better. Also had 38% ceramic window tint installed on all rear glass, and 78% ceramic tint on the 2 front door windows.

Last edited by MysticRob; 09-19-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:52 AM
New Members

Also decided to replace the old chrome kidneys with mo' better gloss black jobs. Quick and painless install, and I came out even after selling the stockers on ebay.

Last edited by MysticRob; 09-19-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:07 AM
New Members

Next up was figuring out how to resolve the swimming pool in the back. I knew it was the sunroof drain hoses, like always, so had to remove a lot of rear trim to dry everything and get the headliner low enough to get to the drain hoses. Once removed I verified the clogged hoses were causing the sunroof water channel to overflow and pour down the headliner and trim into the battery compartment and spare tire areas. I removed the hoses, cleaned them out (about 2" of crud in both rears, less in both fronts) and retested, but noticed the hoses were still leaking at the nipples on the sunroof water channel assembly. Some gasket sealer on them did the trick since they were a bit loose. Retested and all drained properly and remained dry.

Last edited by MysticRob; 09-19-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:25 AM
New Members

Next up was tackling the non-operational hatch glass release. I figured I'd look at the usual suspects by figuring out what the wiring looked like. Turned out it still looked brand new, thanks to a dealership replacement back in 2014, when PO had the same issues (I had all paperwork from PO, which was nice). I put that all back together and figured out how to release the hatch glass with a youtube that detailed how to remove the hatch trim pieces enough to get to the manual hatch glass release.

This was a pain in the ass which involved drilling a screw thru the end of the plastic cover at the end of an old broom handle, so I could use that as a sharp pointy spear long enough to push it thru from the side of the hatch trim I'd loosened. Once I found the small hole for the manual glass release I simply pushed the spear tip into it and popped the glass. Once I got that done I was able to remove the rest of the trim, and the hatch release button assembly to test it all and figure out the release button was actually bad. Got a new one, price matched by the dealership, installed it, and viola, no more problem. No pics of this entire process since I had no free hands or bodies to take them.

Last edited by MysticRob; 09-19-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:29 AM
New Members

At some point I'll have the wheels repainted a gun metal metallic or gloss black so they don't look so out of place. Not a big fan of light gray/silver wheels anyway, especially with stock brake pad dust how it is.
I'll also have to install some black vinyl on the shiny window trim pieces as well, as I'm not a big fan of the old car look it lends.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:51 AM
New Members

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

Looking really nice. Thank you for giving us updates, I sure enjoy reading what others have done to get things working, especially things like your broomstick idea.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:14 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535XIT

Great write up and very nice car. Love the color. I went from an e90 330XI to my e61 535xi. Boring ole grey though and still on the grandma wheels! I’m running a JB4 (highly recommended) with alloy charge pipe. I’m going to run a modded air box, catless DP, and Wagner FMIC and call it done!
Old 09-20-2019, 02:28 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
Looking really nice. Thank you for giving us updates, I sure enjoy reading what others have done to get things working, especially things like your broomstick idea.
Yeah, it worked well due to the plastic tip on the broom handle. I was able to remove the tip, drill the screw through it, then spear that damn release button buried in there. Took some contorting, my wife, and a flashlight to finally get in there, but thankfully it was only the switch that needed replaced. I actually took some video of the drain hose troubleshooting but just haven't had the time to edit and upload to youtube yet.

Originally Posted by K1W1
Great write up and very nice car. Love the color. I went from an e90 330XI to my e61 535xi. Boring ole grey though and still on the grandma wheels! I’m running a JB4 (highly recommended) with alloy charge pipe. I’m going to run a modded air box, catless DP, and Wagner FMIC and call it done!
Thanks, guys. Fun project.
Yeah, I might put a larger intercooler and go catless after I move to Boise, then bump up to MHD Stage 2+, but that's a long way off. Does the Wagner IC bolt in to an E61 or do you have to cut and fit?
Love the power to weight ratio I have now just on Stage 1, though she's a heavy AWD pig. I ran Stage 2 on the 335i and it was just too jumpy for my tastes, even with linear throttle mapping. I'll keep updating this thread once I get some more things done, but it'll likely be awhile.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:44 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535XIT

Have you looked into a JB4 with the MHD JB4 backend flash?

Wagner FMIC does require some cutting to make it fit - Wagner Intercooler Kit for BMW E60-E64

Quick Reply: Rob's E61 PUrchase, Maintenance, and History