E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Resetting Service & Brake Pad Warnings - I have Failed !

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525d manual touring. Beige comfort leather, panoramic sunroof, hifi and blinds option.

I have spend days fiddling on following all the various combinations to reset the various Oil Change and Brake Pad indicators.

Changed rear pads (before any warning) .. and now have the "Change Pads " sign on.

After much fiddling, I now get a digital display of MPH (I guess I got too deep into the OBC).

Not looking for more tips, but I AM looking to pay someone in the Peterborough area to reset the OBC, and extinguish the Pads warning light.

Perhaps I can also learn by watching what is done ..

Anyone know who could do this for me in Peterborough / Stamford area (before I capitulate and pay BMW to reset these for me)...

On the Pad Wear , I can cycle through the various icons, get to Reset ? .. But the milage stays stubornly at -15,000 (goes to _ _ _ _ for a few secs, but reverts).

I give up !

Help please !

Thanks,

Ian

(2005 525d manual E61)
Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

If you change the pads you will need a new wear indicator. About ?17.

If you want someone to look at it, your best bet is probably Murketts @ Huntingdon
Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525d manual touring. Beige comfort leather, panoramic sunroof, hifi and blinds option.

Originally Posted by juliann' post='1046156' date='Nov 3 2009, 01:50 PM
If you change the pads you will need a new wear indicator. About ?17.

If you want someone to look at it, your best bet is probably Murketts @ Huntingdon
I changed pads at rear in advance of any "Brake Pad" warning light coming on ...

Local garage, so mechanic might have damaged the wear indicators .. Are they sensitive components, or should they be OK provided they didnt get worn down at all ... ?
Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

Frost015, please open attachment. It might help.

Brake pad wear indicators are only good for reuse if they are a closed circuit (ohm meter zero across terminals). What normally happens is that they wear open circuit when the pad goes to a predetermined thickness, setting off the wear warning, by which time it is too late to save. Otherwise you are going to have to renew pads before this happens which might be a bit of false economy.

Another thing to watch is disk wear - probably need replacing after every two pad changes. The minimum thickness is stamped on the disk hub and a micrometer is needed to check. Consequences of failing to do this don't need thinking about. The fronts are relatively easy compared to the combined rear drum disk. The condition of the hand brake shoes and braking surface have to be free from corrosion etc, however a new surface comes with the drum disk change. Then you need to know how to adjust the handbrake shoes and that's another story.
Attached Files
Old 02-22-2010, 04:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 525D MSport 03/2005

I changed the front brake pads and disks a while back and struggled to get the service indicator to go away using the technique where you hold the odometer button whilst switching on the ignition in order to get into the maintenance and diagnostics menus.

The solution was to buy a Brake Pad Wear Sensor from the main stealer and fit it myself too (I think it cost about £10). After fitting this sensor I was able to reset the i-Drive on my E61 and all has been well since that on the Service indicators side of things.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 525D MSport 03/2005

I've added a few pictures of the brake sensor when the passeger side (UK) wheel is removed.

Resetting Service & Brake Pad Warnings - I have Failed !-brake-wear-sensor.jpg