E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Replacing my Runflat Tires. But with what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering the replacement of the runflat tires that came with my car. They are simply far too noisy and rough riding to even be close to enjoyable. I fear they are taking much of the enjoyment out of the car for very small sense of security.

Based on my research, I've narrowed it down to two choices for size 245/40R18

Continental ExtremeContact DWS $135 each.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position in the same size. $191 each

Anyone here have experience with either tire? Also, has your car dealer given you any hassle for not running RFTs?

Thanks in advance,
Gundo
Old 02-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

THere are tons of options...

What size wheels.

you will get a boat load of answers int he main section.
Basically it comes down to a few things

Cost
Availability ( if you got 124's on a XI wagon you should not have too many issues, since not staggered like on the sedans with out AWD)
RFT or Non RFT
Summer only tire
All weather
Are you willing to go non big name ( Kumho,Sumotomo,Hancook,General)
Tread wear rating.

I've had the dunlops, Contis and Sumotomos....the Contis have too much roll but good ride, quite stop well good all season...
Dunlops were Summer Max RFT's and I liked them alot until the cost of replacement came up
The Sumotomos were summer Max tires and were very good, High traction in both wet and dry, a bit more roll than I liked but cheap and very good tread were rating

The BFG KDW's are a fav of mine if you don't mind the noise, the Kumho Ecsta were good all seasons that wore good too.

I'm not a fan of the Goodyear Asymmetric or Dsg3 or what ever there names are... burn up very quickly, have very weak side walls , and are crazy expensive to replace.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Don't wait another second. Throw those sad puppies away. I love these michelins.....
Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gundo
Considering the replacement of the runflat tires that came with my car. They are simply far too noisy and rough riding to even be close to enjoyable. I fear they are taking much of the enjoyment out of the car for very small sense of security.

Based on my research, I've narrowed it down to two choices for size 245/40R18

Continental ExtremeContact DWS $135 each.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position in the same size. $191 each

Anyone here have experience with either tire? Also, has your car dealer given you any hassle for not running RFTs?
Thanks in advance,
Gundo
  1. You should check tirerack.com for its ratings and evaluations on those and other properly sized replacement tires.
  2. If you decide to switch, be sure you have a spare and jack - not all BMWs were so equipped and non-rfts, if punctured will leave you stuck
  3. Mounting conventional tires isn't a problem for most tire shops
  4. Many have switched - if your dealer is doing the installation they should be well aware of the difficulty of removing RFTs and TPMS without damaging your wheels - independents must have the proper equipment and experience.
  5. If you buy on line use the link in my signature for additional rebates at tirerack and other on-line stores.
  6. If you are leasing your BMW through BMWFS, you will be required to return the car at lease end with the proper (yes - RFTs) tires!