E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Recommended upgrades for a 535iT

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:19 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Between strut bars (I assume you meant "bar" as as I've not heard of anyone putting in a rear strut bar) and RD Sport sway bars, I'd totally go for the sway bars. Totally transformed the car. Quite a few people here have installed them and can vouch for that.

wow, hadn't heard the news about AR Design. Surprised as they were known as the highest quality downpipes. any links to the news or discussions?
There's 3 bars from Ultra racing that fit the wagon. 1 upper and lower int he front. And one in the rear. Evan posted the part numbers I think a while back. I have the same ones.

Not sure about the "official" AR Design news. I tried to purchase from Modbargains and that's the message they have on their website.

"AR Design has gone Bankrupt. AR product is not available however ModBargains and our Experts here can provide you with great alternative brands that we stand behind. Please give us a call at 714.582.3330 or send us an email Sales@ModBargains.com"

Unfortunately for people with the E61 535xi in the US there is no "alternative brand" for this part.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by bmwmonkey
There's 3 bars from Ultra racing that fit the wagon. 1 upper and lower int he front. And one in the rear. Evan posted the part numbers I think a while back. I have the same ones.

Not sure about the "official" AR Design news. I tried to purchase from Modbargains and that's the message they have on their website.

"AR Design has gone Bankrupt. AR product is not available however ModBargains and our Experts here can provide you with great alternative brands that we stand behind. Please give us a call at 714.582.3330 or send us an email Sales@ModBargains.com"

Unfortunately for people with the E61 535xi in the US there is no "alternative brand" for this part.
It sounds like you're confirming what I'm saying, which is that there are no strut bars (front and rear) for our wagons. Only a front strut bar, but both front and rear sway bars. Your original post said he can put in both front and rear strut bars.

Yeah, noone else to my knowledge makes downpipes for the 535XI. This guy tried to make the non XI ones work:

https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...e61-xi-143055/
Old 03-30-2016, 09:14 PM
New Members

My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by rkundrat
I just took ownership of 2009 535i Touring (manual!) This is being added to our 2011 335d which we have a JBD box on. In comparison, the 535 is down about 200 foot pounds of torque on the diesel, so am looking for some recommendations on power upgrades with the underlying requirement the car be kept relatively quiet. I've done research but have some questions:

Tune
The options in running are: 1) Burger JB4, 2) Cobb, 3) BimmerBoost/MHD flash, 4) Burger JB4 + backend flash.
Since I don't have a PC or Android device, Cobb seems the easiest plug-and-play. JB4 is a little cheaper, has some cool features, but I don't think I'd use them (no E85 near me, I don't use valet, I don't race...) I think the only time I would change map is if I were to upgrade bolt-on components. Power wise JB4 + a backend flash seems to be the best route, but between not needing the features of the JB4, and not having a device to flash myself this option seems extraneous for the added benefits. That said, if there's a compelling argument, I can pick up a cheap laptop.

Intake/Filter
Options are: 1) Drop in filter, 2) dual-cone intake, 3) some dual-cone intake with the shroud (like the AFE.)
This car will be used for long trips, so I don't want a lot of WOOOOSH... I assume a drop in filter is the quietest option? Will that still yield a performance gain that a tune can take advantage of, or do I really need to remove the stock airbox? While doing this I would consider changing the charge pipe as well. Will I see a performance benefit from that? Intercooler will probably be done at some point...

Exhaust
NO drone... wife will kill me.... As I understand it, I'll see the biggest performance benefit from changing the downpipes. I would probably stick with something catted due to state emissions inspections and noise reduction. If just changing the downpipes, will there be a noticeable increase in cabin noise? Are there any other things I should consider downstream of that that will benefit performance, but not make the car noisy?

Non-performance
What are the other recommended upgrades, either in support of the above, or just for general drivability? I understand this engine suffers from carbon buildup like our 335d, so was considering adding the catch can. Are any of you additionally blocking off the EGR as they do on the diesels to prevent the buildup in the first place? My car just received a walnut blasting before delivery, so I'd like to maintain a level of clean if at all possible... Diverter valves, Rob Beck PCV valves, are these necessary upgrades when doing any of the above? Anything else I should consider.

Thanks all, looking forward to joining the e61 community!
No one has mentioned anything about suspension. I think the KW V3s with the M5 rear sway bar have been the best mod I have made to my wagon. I'd suggest some suspension work before any intake, charge pipe / DV, or exhaust changes!
Old 03-31-2016, 04:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive

Originally Posted by GTYellowJacket
No one has mentioned anything about suspension. I think the KW V3s with the M5 rear sway bar have been the best mod I have made to my wagon. I'd suggest some suspension work before any intake, charge pipe / DV, or exhaust changes!
Pardon my ignorance but what will the M5 rear swaybar do? Make it stiffer? Once you have coilovers all around, doesn't that improve body roll?

Thanks,
Old 03-31-2016, 06:32 AM
New Members

My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI

Originally Posted by pocholin
Pardon my ignorance but what will the M5 rear swaybar do? Make it stiffer? Once you have coilovers all around, doesn't that improve body roll?

Thanks,
The coilovers absolutely improve body roll, and it's best to dial in as much as possible with the coilovers. However, the entire suspension works as a system, and I find that the stiffer M5 rear bar with the stock front creates a more balanced car (for under $100 on eBay). After my first high-speed corner (about 5 minutes into ownership) I realized I needed to dial out some of the understeer! I came to this wagon from a Porsche, and frequently drive tight, twisty mountain roads, so suspension was a high priority. In fact, I'm off for a two-hour drive in the Sierras right now!
Old 03-31-2016, 08:03 AM
New Members

Thanks for the explanation. So to improve the understeer issue with our wagons have, I need to stiffen the front and M5 swaybar?
I hope you have fun on those twisty roads...I miss driving in Sierras and mountains!
Old 03-31-2016, 10:29 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

Correct! Often the rear sway bar is a great way to improve things. Some will definitely argue that it will change the balance in a bad way and you should do both. I have done combos on different cars over the years, but for me I have always liked just the rear sway bar the best since it suits my driving. I've been lazy myself and haven't found the M5 bar for that cheap, and have been lazy to do it Someone on the forums had one for sale that was a good deal, don't know if it's sold now though. It will bolt onto the XI so it's a great upgrade!
Old 03-31-2016, 10:31 AM
New Members

Thanks guys!
Old 03-31-2016, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Thanks guys!
I vote for the RD Sport front and rear sway bars personally. They transformed the car, and they are adjustable with 3 settings.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:09 PM
New Members

Thanks for the explanation. So to improve the understeer issue with our wagons have, I need to stiffen the front and M5 swaybar?
I hope you have fun on those twisty roads...I miss driving in Sierras and mountains!
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
Correct! Often the rear sway bar is a great way to improve things. Some will definitely argue that it will change the balance in a bad way and you should do both. I have done combos on different cars over the years, but for me I have always liked just the rear sway bar the best since it suits my driving. I've been lazy myself and haven't found the M5 bar for that cheap, and have been lazy to do it Someone on the forums had one for sale that was a good deal, don't know if it's sold now though. It will bolt onto the XI so it's a great upgrade!
Just to add some more detail here... It's not necessarily both sway bars that need to be stiffened (although some do like the much stiffer RD sways). With the KW V3's dialed in, I personally like the M5 rear matched with the stock front. I'm not recommending the M5 because of the halo every M5 part seems to have, but because there is actually a reason for me to stiffen the rear only. It's the relative stiffness of both sway bars that will impact the understeer / oversteer. Stiffening the rear gave me the balance I was seeking. You can also adjust this ratio with even more options with the RD's if you want to go that stiff, because each sway bar has 3 selectable positions for the linkages.

I find my wagon still quite comfortable to drive, and I can carve mountain roads at speeds that earned me plenty of tickets in the Porsche, so I think it'll do

I don't want to thread jack this discussion on recommended mods, so I'll leave it at that. We can start a new thread on suspension tuning or PM directly.

For the OP, if you opt to go the M5 rear sway route, I recommend holding out for one that includes all the hardware and bushings, because the M5 are larger. You can find some in great shape on eBay, and they often sell for the same price with hardware.

Quick Reply: Recommended upgrades for a 535iT