E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

rear wiper woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 07:19 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530
Default rear wiper woes

anyone have an issue where the rear wiper doesn't work, but the rear washer does? originally, both did not work until i went through the wiring fun through both of the right side tailgate hinges. i've read that it could be the glass switch, but wouldn't that also keep the washer from working as well? speaking of, i feel like i should replace that switch as a preventative. i hear it's a pain to replace if the glass is closed and the button fails...

as of now, i push the stalk forward and just the sprayer works, no noises from the wiper motor and the wiper arm moves freely when the glass is open.

is there a relay just for the rear wiper?

would be great to get some advice, otherwise, i will have to try and get power to the wiper motor and go from there.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:19 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XiT Sport Wagon

https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...acement-72751/

Could be your wiring.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:28 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530

update:
- as mentioned above, i've already repaired all of the wires going through both right side hinges
- the large brown wire to the wiper motor has power (tested at end of harness)
- wiper motor works when bench tested
- rear wiper relay seems to work (I can hear it, but I've also swapped it out with another one to be sure)
- rear washer works
- wiper fuses 11, 16 and 27 all looked good, but I replaced them anyway
- no noises from the motor when turning on rear wiper
- rear wiper moves freely when glass is open

so I think I've narrowed it down to either the wiper stalk at the steering wheel or maybe a switch/sensor that tells the wiper that the glass is closed? can anyone confirm if that is the button that actually opens the glass or if it's the little controller box attached to the wiper motor bracket? that box also has a wiring harness with 4 leads that goes to it.

any insight would be super helpful

thanks!
Old 11-08-2016, 01:33 PM
RCB
New Members

My Ride: E61 535Xit

Funny, I have the exact opposite issue. My rear wiper works fine but the sprayer doesn't work. I already replaced my rear glass switch last year so that is rulled out for me.
I tested the hose and jumped the motor. The hose/nozzle weren't clogged and when I jumped the motor it sprayed just fine. I looked at the wiring diagram but couldn't find a fuse or relay that controlled the rear washer motor and I ran out of time to mess with it. I'm interested to see if you narrow it down to the stalk because if I can't make sense of the wiring that is my last place in the chain.