E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Rear Wash wipe + lumpy idling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

I recently had several of the wires replaced in the rear loom as I was experiencing problems with the car not unlocking - but my rear was-wipe was fine.

Recently, however, it's started making a horrific clunking noise in operation, and doesn't wipe 180 degrees (more like 120). Is this a known wiring fault or something purely mechanical?

Also, I mentioned a while back about lumpy tickover. If you're sat with the car in neutral, every now and again the engine will rock the entire car. I don't know much about petrol engines and even less about diesel, so this may sound like a numpty question, but is it misfiring?

On a possibly related note, our fuel consumptioon seems to have dipped - but that's probably because we've moved and the car gets used for a lot more town journies than it ever used to.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

On the wash-wipe - don't think its a frequent problem, but the mechanism of the wiper can rust and seize over time, which can lead to various types of malfunction. It's worth taking it apart, cleaning and greasing it after now 7 years from production. It's not difficult either, there was a DIY somewhere here - if you can't find it, I can post it later.

On the lumpy tickover - I think its a good idea to get your injectors values checked. An indy can do that. If the issue is there, the injectors can either be cleaned/refurbished, or if its too late for this - replaced.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Members

I had to replace to rear wiper shaft which goes through the rear window as it was starting to seize over time.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:24 AM
New Members

On the lumpy idling issue, it is likely to be one of the ignition coils.
I had one fail on my E61 and it exhibited that symptom.
Bayonet
Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Thanks fella, not been back on here for a while.

Undid the nut holding on the rear wash-wipe and squirted some oil on it. Seems to have cured it. Unsure for how long.

As for the lumpy idling, it seems to be getting worse, so that's going to need to be looking at properly.

Any idea of cost to replace an/several injectors?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Kell
Undid the nut holding on the rear wash-wipe and squirted some oil on it. Seems to have cured it. Unsure for how long.

It will work short time. I did this and it died again a few months later.

So, I dismantled mine, took about an hour, cleaned off the rust with a bit of wire wool and greased it with a dab of brake grease. Been fine now for 18 months.