E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Rear liftgage pump failure - 3/10 build

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is now in the shop for another liftgate pump repair. The symptoms are a much noisier pump and then the liftgate does not reach the normal height. I know when this happens because I hit my head on the liftgate.

It is not an electrical issue. It involves the hydraulic pump on the left side of the cargo area, beneath the location of the sat radio box.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 AM
New Members

I think I have the same issue - I'll let you know as it's going into the garage next monday.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by mdobin
My car is now in the shop for another liftgate pump repair. The symptoms are a much noisier pump and then the liftgate does not reach the normal height. I know when this happens because I hit my head on the liftgate.

It is not an electrical issue. It involves the hydraulic pump on the left side of the cargo area, beneath the location of the sat radio box.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Wow, two repairs on a 3/10 build car? How many times a day do you operate it? LOL! Weird...
Old 11-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Wow, two repairs on a 3/10 build car? How many times a day do you operate it? LOL! Weird...

Not that often. Not even once a day. And, besides, we have an '06 E61 and it never has had a problem with the liftgate.

Dealer loaner is a Jeep Commander. Ugh.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

mdobin and newbury - do your cars with automatic tailgates also have automatic luggage covers?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:22 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by phelix
mdobin and newbury - do your cars with automatic tailgates also have automatic luggage covers?
yes the auto luggage cover is also causing problems. It's at the garage today, so I should know more soon. A couple of weeks ago I had the car int he shop for approx 4 weeks with 4K + (US) in repairs due to a leak in the rear tail light that destroyed multiple modules, so this might be the cause of the issues with the hatch and luggage cover. My car is an 08' 535xi.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Members

I have the auto luggage cover. That has not been a problem.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by newbury
yes the auto luggage cover is also causing problems. It's at the garage today, so I should know more soon. A couple of weeks ago I had the car int he shop for approx 4 weeks with 4K + (US) in repairs due to a leak in the rear tail light that destroyed multiple modules, so this might be the cause of the issues with the hatch and luggage cover. My car is an 08' 535xi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the $4K bill - did you try to claim it on the car or homeowners insurance under water damage?

Just asking since this was successfully done by a few posters who had fried electronics due to clogged sunroof drains. May be worth a try?

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:15 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Phoenix1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the $4K bill - did you try to claim it on the car or homeowners insurance under water damage?

Just asking since this was successfully done by a few posters who had fried electronics due to clogged sunroof drains. May be worth a try?

Good luck!
Yes thankfully homeowners covered it minus my deductible.

Got the car back yesterday and the real lift issue was due to the water damage.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Members

What were the symptoms of pump failures by the way? A little extra noise? Not opening all the way? Anything else?

I just posted about an issue with mine not opening at all when cold, but fine after driving (I didn't see this thread when searching for previous history). I've gotten to the point that when the car is cold, I just open the window and not the whole tailgate as I know it's pointless and I don't like forcing it up.

Luggage cover is acting normal.

Quick Reply: Rear liftgage pump failure - 3/10 build