E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Rear audio amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 05:23 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by marcm' post='329051' date='Aug 31 2006, 08:31 AM
The car has the media pack which gives me Nav Prof, Bluetooth and 6DC changer. I had to push the dealer to enable MP3 on the in dash CD though.

The sound isnt that bad but definatley lacks the low down I've been used to.
If you are in the UK and you don't have the Hi-Fi stereo then you won't find an amp no matter how hard you look. If you are in the US then the Hi-Fi is the standard and you will find the amp on the left rear wheel arch under the carpet in the boot. You cant miss it because it has the words in english that relate to audio.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by marcm' post='328757' date='Aug 30 2006, 02:09 PM
Or is it just the Bluetooth module. If it is its a bloody big box just for a bit of bluetooth!!!
That pic is of the infamous Telematics Control Unit (TCU) which, among other things, provides Bluetooth functionality as others have already mentioned.

I don't have a photo of the amp readily available but on my car, it's mounted in the same area as the TCU but it has a fan or two on the end. I think there's a pic posted here -- I'll take a look around when I get a chance...
Old 09-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Okay, I found the pic I was thinking about:

I'm pretty sure the amp (for Logic 7 cars) is the unit that the sun is shining on (with the fan outlets).

Hope that helps...
Old 09-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Gone Waiting

the amp is on the left hand side in the truck
Old 09-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Members

Thanks Rudy and Bruce
Looks like I'm going to be out of luck.. I'm in the UK and dont have L7 or Hi-Fi so where would I find the amp? Or do I need to tap into the speaker connections in the roof.

Maybe I should have mentioned I've got an E61.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:19 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d SE, Black Dakota, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by marcm' post='330547' date='Sep 4 2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks Rudy and Bruce
Looks like I'm going to be out of luck.. I'm in the UK and dont have L7 or Hi-Fi so where would I find the amp? Or do I need to tap into the speaker connections in the roof.

As this is the E61 Touring discussion, I don't think it's necessary to mention that.

I have the same problems with my E61: poor sound quality. I believe that you would also need to add a power amp before the subs.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by marcm' post='330547' date='Sep 4 2006, 03:08 AM
Thanks Rudy and Bruce

Here's a quick document that should tell you what you're looking for. The pictured amp is for the "standard" stereo (not "top hifi") so I assume that's what you are looking for -- the "top hifi" amp is located in the same place, it just looks different than the one in the diagram...

replacing_amplifier.pdf
Old 09-04-2006, 07:33 AM
Members

Thanks Rudy, I will have a look when I get home. I think I need to download the TIS
Old 09-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Members

Hi Rudy,
I had a look and there is a mounting point where the dagram shows but no amplifier. I wonder if it is near the bluetooth module that is under the floor just behind the seats. Only problem is I dont remember seeing it when I took the picture of the module. I am at a loss here why BMW would mount different components for the same system in different places in different cars and country dependant

I'm feeling a bit :'(

I have downloaded TIS though it is Spanish I'm sure I can read the diagrams.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Members

My Ride: delivered 5 sep 06: 520d E61, silver gray, dakota truffle brown, comfort seats, aluminium, PDC, nav pro, pro spkrs, 124 rims, auto a/c, comfort access, anti d mirrors, side airbags, int rem ctrl, roll blinds, glazing, green band, light pack, storage comp

Originally Posted by marcm' post='330788' date='Sep 4 2006, 03:47 PM
Hi Rudy,
I had a look and there is a mounting point where the dagram shows but no amplifier. I wonder if it is near the bluetooth module that is under the floor just behind the seats. Only problem is I dont remember seeing it when I took the picture of the module. I am at a loss here why BMW would mount different components for the same system in different places in different cars and country dependant

I'm feeling a bit :'(

I have downloaded TIS though it is Spanish I'm sure I can read the diagrams.
Hi marc,
I got a touring and Hi-Fi system not the Prologic one and the amplifier is in the place wherer Rudy said showing the picture but the amplifier is very small an is a small box 5x6 inches. If you don't have the HiFi system you won't find any amplifier so if you want ad one you should tap directly from the radio or from the speakers.
Try to see if this can help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
E60_DIN_Radio_Rear_View.pdf (136.2 KB, 151 views)

Quick Reply: Rear audio amplifier