E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Rattle from E61 boot area

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

Hi,

Has anybody experienced the rattle noise from the boot area?
The noise seems to be coming from the plastic trim around the tailgate window and the removable cover for hiding the warning triangle.

I used to have the rattle from the door seals as well but I can resolve them by rubbing Vaseline on the door seals.
And yes, I often get question about why do I have a tub of Vaseline in the glove box.

Any suggestion on the boot would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:46 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by mario.kwok' post='900672' date='Jun 4 2009, 04:26 PM
Hi,

The noise seems to be coming from the plastic trim around the tailgate window and the removable cover for hiding the warning triangle.

I used to have the rattle from the door seals as well but I can resolve them by rubbing Vaseline on the door seals.
And yes, I often get question about why do I have a tub of Vaseline in the glove box.

Thanks in advance.

As for your question, other than checking the warning triangle is securely stored, I'm not sure what else is there. Maybe remove the panel and check yourself, however I have never done this so not sure what's involved

Anyone else have ideas?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

Yeah the warning triangle is secure, just trying to see if anyone of you are having the same problem.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:22 AM
Members

Are you sure it's coming from there and not the load cover? My load cover makes a noise and needs lubricating now and then to silence it.
Try taking the load cover out completely and going for a drive.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

Or from the hidden storage location below the loading area (where normally the spare tyre is if you've paid for it as an option). Maybe there's something loose there? Good luck though. I hate it when things rattle in the car.
I have it with my panoramic sunroof. When I close the cover/sealing it makes noises as well when driving on rougher roads. Very annoying for such a nice car
Old 06-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 530D M-Sport Touring

Originally Posted by mario.kwok' post='900672' date='Jun 4 2009, 03:26 PM
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Hi - Yes I have this too..... and its driving me nuts! I think I've isolated the problem to the plastic trim under the glass part of the tailgate.... more like a cracking noise. Trying to figure out how to get the trim off now, so I can insulate the joints with felt - Ideas anyone?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by garyf' post='919103' date='Jun 21 2009, 08:19 PM
Hi - Yes I have this too..... and its driving me nuts! I think I've isolated the problem to the plastic trim under the glass part of the tailgate.... more like a cracking noise. Trying to figure out how to get the trim off now, so I can insulate the joints with felt - Ideas anyone?
I agree, it's either the plastic trim under the glass part of the tailgate or the two plastic cover for the pillars on each side.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='904138' date='Jun 8 2009, 01:22 PM
Are you sure it's coming from there and not the load cover? My load cover makes a noise and needs lubricating now and then to silence it.
Try taking the load cover out completely and going for a drive.
That's the first thing I tried and thought it's an easy one, but no, the same noise was still there even with the whole load cover removed and being left at home.

Thanks for that anyway.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mario.kwok' post='919686' date='Jun 22 2009, 07:15 AM
I agree, it's either the plastic trim under the glass part of the tailgate or the two plastic cover for the pillars on each side.
For rubber door seals, I've used glycerine for years. It really works well. Here in Canada a small bottle is really inexpensive at a pharmacy or drug store. It transformed my CR-V to a quiet car; road noise was terrible before I cleaned door seals and applied glycerine on a rag.

It's helped all kinds of rattles and squeeks for me too.

DaveL
Old 09-08-2009, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 2mnycars' post='920967' date='Jun 23 2009, 10:37 AM
For rubber door seals, I've used glycerine for years. It really works well. Here in Canada a small bottle is really inexpensive at a pharmacy or drug store. It transformed my CR-V to a quiet car; road noise was terrible before I cleaned door seals and applied glycerine on a rag.

It's helped all kinds of rattles and squeeks for me too.

DaveL
This is a common problem with BMW. I had this on my drivers door for years and it drove me nuts. BMW service know about this and can help. This is what I found out / researched.
It is the rubber seals around the door / tailate, usually the exterior facing one's. You might notice they are worse after rain, or sun. Mine are worse after rain and then squeek and rattle like mad (for first year I though it was something loose in the car). After a quick wipe of hte seal with my hand or cloth (wiping of water or dust) they are perfect.
BMW will sell you something called Gummi Fledge (name might not be correct but phonetic spelling is) you just spray it onto the seals and it solved the problem it costs $10 per can. BMW technicians say they use it by the bucket load to solve this problem. Mostly they'll put it on as a mater of course during service.
Don't whatever you do be tempted to lubricate the seal with silicon grease, or vaseline, this will solve it for a couple of days but it will return, sometimes worse I did the same first-off. Remove the grease and clean seals with vinegar (yes vinegar) then use the Gummi Fledge, or just wipe clean when the noise starts. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Rattle from E61 boot area